• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Subuxone withdrawal

Squid007

Greenlighter
Can someone please assist me with a subuxone withdrawal query. I jumped off subuxone at 6mg and I have been on it for 2 years. I'm 7 days into my withdrawal and it's seems to be getting worse, my question is, can I perhaps take a small dose of morphine just to take the edge off on a if needed basis or is it just prolonging the withdrawal because it doesn't make sense to go back on subuxone as I'm already 7 days in but up until yesterday I was fine but now I'm actually incapable of doing anything and my depression and restless legs are driving me insane. The reason I stopped is because I am in South Africa and I was retrenched because of covid hence no money. I have access to a few morphine tablets and only used them if I ran out of subuxone/heroin. I don't want to prolong the agony but if this can help until the subuxone is out of my system completely I will be extremely grateful. I don't have access to anything else so this is my only option.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any help that members could provide.

Regards

Davey

Hey Davey. I have to follow the rules here, so try to follow me. I'm willing to bet that there are pharmacies in South Africa that have liberal practices in terms of what they will provide without a prescription. You are far better off to try to get a drug like Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Pregabalin (Lyrica) than to go ahead and ingest Opioids. Gabapentinoids, in my experience and the experience of many that I know, can be very beneficial for many of the common symptoms of Opioid withdrawal. The best way that I can describe it, would be, it could take away half of your symptoms, but not all of them. Restless Legs, Akathisia and Insomnia are the biggest benefits in my experience.

These drugs are commonly used to treat RLS in patients with no history of addiction, so it makes sense. I really wouldn't take the Morphine and if you do, I would take it a single time and enjoy the relief, maybe right before bed. Each time you use the Morphine, you're setting yourself backward disproportionately.

If these things aren't available in a pharmacy without a prescription, could you maybe consult an actual prescriber?

Thanks for the reply buddy, I will definitely find out about the meds you have discussed and if I can control said symptoms without opioids then that's what I will do.

Cheers mate.

That's what sucks about Suboxone. My withdrawals always peak at day 5-7 so hang in there. I am off the subs now 3+ weeks but have relapsed and now right back using so I would take the advice from Keif'. I have contemplated whether or not to go back on subs but if rather not.

Just to add something because of the long half life of subuxone the withdrawals kick in after a lengthy time and unexpectedly quite horrendous and if I had to do it over again I would have definitely used it for the shortest time possible and making sure that I learn the skills to not have to rely on subuxone as a wishful thinking protective measure as it just becomes a crutch just like any other opioid. This statement is my personal opinion and my view only, my statement is not a suggestion for anyone else besides myself. Does anyone have a timeline as to how long it will take for me to get over the withdrawals and I also understand everyone is different but just wanting a rough idea. Cheers.

Just to add something because of the long half life of subuxone the withdrawals kick in after a lengthy time and unexpectedly quite horrendous and if I had to do it over again I would have definitely used it for the shortest time possible and making sure that I learn the skills to not have to rely on subuxone as a wishful thinking protective measure as it just becomes a crutch just like any other opioid. This statement is my personal opinion and my view only, my statement is not a suggestion for anyone else besides myself. Does anyone have a timeline as to how long it will take for me to get over the withdrawals and I also understand everyone is different but just wanting a rough idea. Cheers.

Hey Squid. We're all about respecting differing viewpoints here, so don't worry about that. If you want to be off Buprenorphine, our job isn't to talk you out of it, but to help you through it as painlessly as we can. I just have to say, yes, Opioids of any kind could be fairly called a cruth. But, I think we have a lot of crutches in life and we've been made to feel that Opioids are not an appropriate crutch. It's my opinion that many long-term Opioid addicts do better when maintained indefinitely, as opposed to trying to come off and re-adjust.

Some people will never make that adjustment and will go out and use and possibly die. Some people surely succeed too. It's not a gamble per se, but there is an element of setting yourself up in the best possible position. I can't speak to all of the other drugs out there. They're all so different and most of my book-learnin over the years has been focused specifically on Opioids. I do know that Opioids can be maintained indefinitely without an notable ill-effects in the majority of the population. Of course, psychological changes will occur, but there is a difference between being insane and being high.

Anyway, I'm done with the preaching. We have your back whateve decision you make. I just don't want you to see life and Opioids as incompatible, because it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

The withdrawal from long-acting Opioids like Buprenorphine (Suboxone) and Methadone can be rough due to the duration. You can expect about two weeks of serious bullshit, followed by two weeks of gradual recovery, followed by 2-3 months of anhedonia, anxiety, insomnia etc but in a much milder form than acute withdrawal. Just fyi the term for the protracted withdrawal following acute withdrawal is Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) if you ever want to read about it.

Let me know how things go with seeking out medications. We'll help you out one way or another so don't worry.

Thank you Mr Richards, I now totally agree with your above statement because jumping off the subuxone just because of xyz put me in a very difficult position as I had to eventually call a spade a spade and accept that for the moment I was no where near ready for what I was trying to attempt, I almost gave in to my suffering and cravings for h that I had to go back on the subuxone for now, even though it's only 2mg daily it's a dose that just keeps me on track and not craving but it gives me confidence that subuxone is the lesser of two evils and makes the term just for today not a probability but a definite.

So thanks for the advice and for now because of the chaos of life as we know it at the moment I feel confident in my recovery.

^Please, Mr. Richards is my imaginary father, who loves and respects me and only drinks alcohol socially. Please, call me Keif'.

^Please, Mr. Richards is my imaginary father, who loves and respects me and only drinks alcohol socially. Please, call me Keif'.
Sorry Keif, I was busy sending out formal emails and I decided that you are very helpful, encouraging and inspiring, so the formal address was just a sign of respect and gratitude. Cheers buddy.

Sorry Keif, I was busy sending out formal emails and I decided that you are very helpful, encouraging and inspiring, so the formal address was just a sign of respect and gratitude. Cheers buddy.

Man, I'm 30 years old and I already feel I'm turning into that weird old guy who makes bad jokes consistently despite nobody laughin and possibly getting beaten up by skateboarders at the mall. I'm probably gonna end up as one of those teachers who wears a bow tie every day to school, apparently not realizing it makes him look like a douchebag.

I always swore I would thrust my katana into my guts before I put on that bow tie, but the inertia of my life is pushing me toward it I'm afraid.