• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Subutex and Alcohol question for People on SMT

lacerveza

Greenlighter
Subutex and Alcohol question for People on suboxone maintenence

Hey all I have been on subutex now for like 6 months or so for the first few months i was only taking like 2-4 mgs a day than i decided to experiment by taking 8mg and etc etc well now im back down to my 2-4 mgs a day mostly 4, but during this whole time i have had like zero desire to drink alcohol. The few times i did drink alcohol man did i have the worst hangover the next day and i didn't even drink that much. even the buzz itself from the alcohol wasnt like i remembered it to be. We have some beer in the house and being as its summer i would like to enjoy some. I never really had an alcohol problem in my life nor am I looking to pick one up just ya know a few drinks maybe a nice buzz once in awhile. Well down to my question, sorry if this is all over the place im ADD lol.

I was wondering if there was a good dose of subutex to be on so that it wouldn't interfere with me drinking and getting the nasty hangovers and weird alcohol feeling that i got the couple times i did. i think i was around 6-10mgs when i did drink. Im sure that the sub dose played a part in how i felt though im not entirely sure. Does anyone have experience with this that may be able to shed some advice? Subutex has seriously damn near gave me my life back and i am so glad to have discovered it but I had no idea it messed with drinking and stuff like that.

I was wondering if i knew i was gonna have some beers that day maybe only take like 2mg's in the morning that day and nothing else or maybe even 1mg or i donno, if it will have negative effects as it has in the past. I just want to hear from someone that is on subutex/suboxone maintenece therapy and has the occassional drink if they have ill effects. When they drink i.e. nasty hangovers after not so much alcohol, weird buzz feeling etc. just curious if i lowered the dose on that day i was gonna have a few beers if it would be closer to normal as if i had no opiates in me that day. If anyone has any advice on this please let me know!

Last edited:
lol do you mean ADD? i changed it around so hopefully it makes more sense. the bottom line is i am on subutex maintenece therapy when i drink it gives me nsty hangovers the following day after only like 4 or 5 drinks where when i wasn't on subutex that wouldn't phase me at all. Also the alcohol buzz isnt anywhere near as enjoyable as i remember it to be.I would like to hear from someone who take suboxone/tex and that drinks occasionally how it affects them and if they lower there dose on the day they are going to drink and if it helps.

i;ve never tried subs before but i've had two occasions with opiates and alcohol before. both were unpleasant and i got some nasty nausea on both occasion. and most people will agree with me that opiates and alcohol don't mix...if you really want those beers, maybe don't drink as much? or try some weed instead of your brews

i;ve never tried subs before but i've had two occasions with opiates and alcohol before. both were unpleasant and i got some nasty nausea on both occasion. and most people will agree with me that opiates and alcohol don't mix...if you really want those beers, maybe don't drink as much? or try some weed instead of your brews

Well weed is my main thing i have been doing that for years there is no problem there. Just with the alcohol. I really dont drink much when i do it was just that after like 3 or 4 beers i woke up with nasty hangover that lasted all day, im sure my subutex dose had some play in that as thta has never happened before. I was hoping that maybe by lowering the does on thedays i was going to drink if that may help? Also drinking while on normal opiates has never been a problem for me its weird.

So no one has any input about drinking alcohol o
Suboxone maintenence????

When I was on Suboxone, I had some trouble drinking at first, when my dosage was pretty high (24 mg/day). I would get instantly sick at times when drinking, literally as soon as some whiskey would hit my stomach, it would go back out again. I kept at it and was able to keep it down more often, but it still made me pretty sick, and I got worse hangovers, just as you seem to be experiencing.

As my dosage dropped though, I didn't feel as sick...by the time I got down to 2-4 mg/day, I was able to return to drinking normally, by which I mean a few drinks a night. And like you, I have no problem drinking on other opiates. I'm not sure if its the buprenorphine or the naloxone they throw into the mix (since naloxone is sometimes used to treat alcoholism), but Suboxone and sauce sucks.

I'd say that if you dropped your dose the day you wanted to drink, that would help. Maybe cut your dose in half or something. That would likely help.

I use subutex recreationally and while i'm high alcohol never sounds appealing to me either, however if I do drink I don't really get any nasty side effects or hangovers the next day - it just feels like the subs just overpower the liquor. That's really all I can add, sorry :( i'm not on maintenance .

I've had a few beers or glasses of wine while on suboxone, for me it just felt as you were drinking on opiates. I'm not much of a drinker so I never overdid it, but in moderation you should be fine as long as your responsible

In terms of the dose, the times I drank I had taken 8mg, I can imagine if you dose really high things could get sketchy, and to avoid a hangover, drink water as hangovers are caused by dehydration.

O and paranoid android meant to say he was sending your thread over to Basic Drug Discussion, not ADD

I've had a few beers or glasses of wine while on suboxone, for me it just felt as you were drinking on opiates. I'm not much of a drinker so I never overdid it, but in moderation you should be fine as long as your responsible

In terms of the dose, the times I drank I had taken 8mg, I can imagine if you dose really high things could get sketchy, and to avoid a hangover, drink water as hangovers are caused by dehydration.

O and paranoid android meant to say he was sending your thread over to Basic Drug Discussion, not ADD

Ahhh do BDD is basic drug discussion...well the reason i posted it on the darkside is because i figured if you were ont he darkside I would find more people tht are on suboxone maintenece as opposed to over here lol.

Yeah i havent really overdone it yet either but last night i had 2 bud lights about 2 hours apart and today i have a slight hangover that just blows my mind! I only took 4 mg's of subutx yesterday as well.

Does anyone know if say I am planning to drink while on SMT would maybe only takin 2MG first thing in the AM like 9AM and than drinking at like 9PM if that would alleviate any of the things i am experiencing? Im not talking getting wasted off of a bottle of jack D or anyhting like that just enough to get a good buzz with some friends or whatever? any experience or input on drinking while on suboxone maintenece would be greatly appreciated. Oh and thx for all the responses so far!

I think your problem is more of dehydration. Opiates make me very thirsty personally, and alcohol does dehydrate the body. Hangovers are caused by dehydration, that's why whenever I drink I drink 2 glasses of water before bed and I'm never hungover

The less bupe you take before drinking the less of the drug there is to mix with the alcohol. I don't think it'll make that much of a difference in terms of the hangover feeling your getting. I could be wrong tho...

I take Subutex daily (8mg) and I got drunk yesterday and didn't have the slightest hangovers, loved the buzz and had a great time. I guess it varies from person to person. I've been on Buprenorphine for years and have never had issues with alcohol. It does however change weed's effects on me but in a good way; usually I get paranoid from smoking weed but when I'm on a high dose of opiates, particularly morphine I've discovered, the weed high really appeals to me as it feels so mellow and euphoric.

I take Subutex daily (8mg) and I got drunk yesterday and didn't have the slightest hangovers, loved the buzz and had a great time. I guess it varies from person to person. I've been on Buprenorphine for years and have never had issues with alcohol. It does however change weed's effects on me but in a good way; usually I get paranoid from smoking weed but when I'm on a high dose of opiates, particularly morphine I've discovered, the weed high really appeals to me as it feels so mellow and euphoric.

wow you are definitely lucky! it seems everytime that i drink i get a nasty hangover and its only after like 2 or 3 beers! if you dont mind me asking did you actually get drunk yesterday or si u just have a few drinks? if you did get drunk did you drink a whole bunch of water before you went to bed?

to the person that said something about dehydration, i was actually wondering that myself i tend to drink alot of coffee throughout the day and im sure i dont drink alot of water so i was thinkin maybe that is doing it. i dont even take very much subutex throughout the day mostly i take 2-4 mgs i am prescribed 8 but that is way to much so im just hoarding it just in case. another question that comes to mind, if you guys take more subutex than you usually take so you notice a difference in the way it hits/affects you? for me when i usually take 2-4mgs so somedays ill take the other half or even just 2 more milligrams i think it gives me alot of energy when i do that. doesnt really do too much on the euphoric side but i def get an enery boost. although sometimes it feels like i have to kick start it like ill feel like doing nothing but than i force myself to start and i really get all into it and definitely get tons of energy its great but it seems like that doesnt happen all the time but still nice when it does.

subutex has been so good to me b4 i was so hooked on pills i was broke i drank to get drunk when i drank and i was high all the time and now i rarely drink my pot smoking is mow only at night which it was all day everyday b4 so to me it has been great. i do get a lil depressed from time to time but i do believe "normie's". so even though i am taking a maintenence med or whatnot i believe there may have been some sort of chemical imbalance in my brain and i was lacking on the dopemine side of things and the small dose of subutex i take a day straightens me out. i dont think i wanna be on it forever and i have only been on it 6 mos. so i im past the honeymoon phase of things but its just my life has done a complete 180.

sorry for the long rant just wanted to vent a lil thx for all ur answers so far its beenvery helpful!

I am on 2 eight mg subutex a day and I absolutely cannot drink without feeling terrible the whole time and also the next morning I feel bad as well but when I was only taking between 2 and 4 mg a day I could drink 2 or 3 beers and get a good buzz and feel just fine. I would say take the lowest amount possible and even then don't over do it by drinking a whole bottle of liquor or 15 beers since the suboxone is still in your system and its a depressent just like alcohol is and can still be dangerous in large quanities.