• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone withdrawals, any OTC helper meds?

I would stay away from Loperamide unless your in severe withdrawals and absolutely cant stand it.

Clonidine is great during the day, took most of the moderate withdrawals away, but does nothing for my tingling legs/rls at night and still couldn't sleep. When i went to inpatient detox years back I was on clonidine, maybe some benzos, and they gave me Trazadone at night and i was able to sleep ok and even had a room mate withdrawling off H and he seemed fine too.

I recently got a script for gabapentin, 300-600mg makes my body very comfortable like I smoked alot of pot, melted right into the couch last night watching movies but my brain feels foggy. Seems to do nothing for the tingling/rls. Maybe at higher doses it works better.

Loperamide (low dose) for physical symptoms like nausea/diarrhea/chills, valerian root/lavender for anxiety/sleep, melatonin or Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for sleep, and ginger root for nausea. A lot of natural or homeopathic remedies aren't going to be as strong or effective as a medication, but they will help some.
Clonidine helps during the day as long as you don't take too much. In the past, I've used .1mg 2-3 times per day without getting drowsy or lightheaded when kicking opioids. Gabapentin is a godsend IMO. I've completely skipped heroin WDs on a couple of occasions because I had tens of thousands of mgs on hand, but I wouldn't recommend using it in super high doses because of the possibility of rebound anxiety. But it can be super helpful for anxiety and sleep in reasonable doses. Depending on where you live you can order Phenibut legally online, which should act similarly to gabapentin as far as alleviating WDs, but be careful because it's possible to get hooked on that with prolonged use as well.

Unfortunately I had a phenibut addiction so can't do that lol but I do know it helps some people with wd. I have gabapentin and cloudiness and hydroxyzine. This is my second round at suboxone. First was for straight up opiates and kratom. This time it's for tinapetine and phenibut. The suboxone the first time around was great. It's just not working at all this time. I'm dying. I also don't think I was properly detoured this time around but that's another story. No one in the ER or at detox had heard of tinapetine and had barely heard of phenibut. It was a rough 4 days, let me tell you. I prob should have been there at least a week, etc. And Def more helper meds than what I was given. Any way, I'm trying to take a tolerance break from the subs and hoping 2mgs will then work. I took 2mgs today after 2 days without, so let's see. Normally I'm supposed to take 16mg. I just feel so so awful. I don't know what to do. I wonder if the wellbutrin I'm on is blocking the subs?

I would stay away from Loperamide unless your in severe withdrawals and absolutely cant stand it.

Clonidine is great during the day, took most of the moderate withdrawals away, but does nothing for my tingling legs/rls at night and still couldn't sleep. When i went to inpatient detox years back I was on clonidine, maybe some benzos, and they gave me Trazadone at night and i was able to sleep ok and even had a room mate withdrawling off H and he seemed fine too.

I recently got a script for gabapentin, 300-600mg makes my body very comfortable like I smoked alot of pot, melted right into the couch last night watching movies but my brain feels foggy. Seems to do nothing for the tingling/rls. Maybe at higher doses it works better.

Yeah I have trazadone though I need to take a break from it, it stopped working and the higher dose makes me non functioning in the morning.

I also have a couple of requip pills to help with rls but I want to use those sparingly. They helped in detox, not sure I could get another refill. If you can get that, I do recommend it. It's not a controlled substance.

Be careful with benadryl, it can make RLS worse.
I've read quite a few people use loperamide in high doses.
Not to many otc actually help in my experience

Unfortunately I had a phenibut addiction so can't do that lol but I do know it helps some people with wd. I have gabapentin and cloudiness and hydroxyzine. This is my second round at suboxone. First was for straight up opiates and kratom. This time it's for tinapetine and phenibut. The suboxone the first time around was great. It's just not working at all this time. I'm dying. I also don't think I was properly detoured this time around but that's another story. No one in the ER or at detox had heard of tinapetine and had barely heard of phenibut. It was a rough 4 days, let me tell you. I prob should have been there at least a week, etc. And Def more helper meds than what I was given. Any way, I'm trying to take a tolerance break from the subs and hoping 2mgs will then work. I took 2mgs today after 2 days without, so let's see. Normally I'm supposed to take 16mg. I just feel so so awful. I don't know what to do. I wonder if the wellbutrin I'm on is blocking the subs?
I find that wellbutrin does block what little effect subs give.

If I take wellbutrin, then if I try to take subs later that day or the next day, all I get is a heavy drowsy sensation & don't feel satisfied or energized.

I would personally advise against dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine... they can lead to... more restlessness and just a bad feeling overall. If you need help with sleep I recommend doxylamine, which has become pretty hard to get where I live but from what I understand its still widely available in the states.

Ontop of that there's loperamide, which is fine to take in small amounts to help with gastrointestinal discomfort and diarrhea.... but it is important that its small doses... I'm thinking like, since they are 2mg tablets I believe, taking 6 tablets twice daily. Some people start taking 50 - 100 tablets a day or even more..... if you do that you'll end up getting a heart attack. You should know that it is technically an opioid itself but don't worry at those low doses it doesn't pass the blood brain barrier.

One other med I can think of that is OTC here, but not in many other places from what I understand... is methcarbamol. This can help with the restlessness, which is in my experience, the worst part of withdrawal. Here in Canada I know anyway that its in 'Tylenol for back pain relief' and its said to have effects almost to the level of Ativan ( but not quite). Anyway if you can get it, get it.

The fact that you're already have gabapentin is good... that should help... Though maybe you should increase the dose at least a little bit to overcome whatever tolerance you've built.

Good luck!

I started taking Loperamide 10+ years ago. Started with 24 tabs/day after being cut off Dilaudid following a major surgery. I wasn't aware of all the negatives like I am now. Im not sure if i was drinking at the time or the drinking came later, but i was an alcoholic at some point, stopping at the store on the way home from work, downing a 6 pack before i got home, go out and buy another 12 pack for the rest of the night. In the morning wake up and take a bunch of Loperamide and 2hrs later my hangover is completely gone and im ready to go. Currently I'm trying to stop/stay off it, was taking 70+ tabs a day. Withdrawals were pretty bad. I still cant sleep even with taking a bunch of gabapentin and Clonidine, insomnia and very very slight tingling in my arms just enough so im not comfortable.

I'll say I never had any issues going to the bathroom, in fact I think it helped since I have Crohns and without id be going to the bathroom multiple times a day, having to pull over to find a bathroom isnt fun. My heart seems fine, though my BP is around stage 2 160/90, the Clonidine works great at bringing it to around 100/60 average.

Everyones different, just because I didnt have a heart attack doesnt mean you cant/wont.

I find that wellbutrin does block what little effect subs give.

If I take wellbutrin, then if I try to take subs later that day or the next day, all I get is a heavy drowsy sensation & don't feel satisfied or energized.
If you take subs first, then wellbutrin, does the same happen or do you get relief/normal sub feeling? Thank you!!!!

I started taking Loperamide 10+ years ago. Started with 24 tabs/day after being cut off Dilaudid following a major surgery. I wasn't aware of all the negatives like I am now. Im not sure if i was drinking at the time or the drinking came later, but i was an alcoholic at some point, stopping at the store on the way home from work, downing a 6 pack before i got home, go out and buy another 12 pack for the rest of the night. In the morning wake up and take a bunch of Loperamide and 2hrs later my hangover is completely gone and im ready to go. Currently I'm trying to stop/stay off it, was taking 70+ tabs a day. Withdrawals were pretty bad. I still cant sleep even with taking a bunch of gabapentin and Clonidine, insomnia and very very slight tingling in my arms just enough so im not comfortable.

I'll say I never had any issues going to the bathroom, in fact I think it helped since I have Crohns and without id be going to the bathroom multiple times a day, having to pull over to find a bathroom isnt fun. My heart seems fine, though my BP is around stage 2 160/90, the Clonidine works great at bringing it to around 100/60 average.

Everyones different, just because I didnt have a heart attack doesnt mean you cant/wont.
Thank you for letting me know. I won't go down that route (I also have the opposite problem loperamide is intended for). Have you tried requip? It might help with some of the issues you have

Also congrats on stopping the loperamide and drinking. I also had a drinking problem. That was definitely not fun.

all I’ve read & heard Is all u can really do is take ibuprofen or something similar to help with the weird body temps & sweats & weed does help but u said no weed.& then,sadly all u can do is wait until it’s out of your body & go some time without it. BUT the post WDs suck& annoying & last forever & most people don’t talk about how bad it is getting off of subs.it’s def not as intense as H or oxy but since it’s half life is real long, u get the body temperature stuff for months sometimes.getting off H is super intense& horrible but it’s over faster.with subs u are not fully suffering but u have body temp issues & sweats for a month or more. It’s more annoying & takes too long. Gabapentin is amazing though for opiate/opioid WD.

Last edited:
If you take subs first, then wellbutrin, does the same happen or do you get relief/normal sub feeling? Thank you!!!!
I find if I take subs first & let it do it's thing, I'm alright. But once I take that welbutrin, it will still dampen what little effects subs give me.

I find this to be the same with any DRI drug honestly. Same with ritalin (methylphenidate). If I take ritalin & then try to take subs, I don't feel anything from the subs, except some drowsiness.

Taking subs with amphetamine or dopamine releleasers however actually seems to make the subs feel stronger.

I'm not sure why this is & it's totally anecdotal, but my theory is that DRI's might be blocking the weak dopamine release from subs/and other opioids. Making it harder to notice much of a difference. This is just my experience, but I could be totally wrong about my theory.

For sure dude. I'd lean on the Gabapentin in that case, but since you had a Phenibut addiction it's gonna take more Gaba to get relief since they work on the same parts of your brain. Don't quote me on this but I think Phenibut is a stronger gabapentinoid than Gabapentin, somebody should probably verify that because I don't remember for sure.
It sounds like you are in so much pain because of the Tia. Tianeptine isn't an opioid, it's a tricyclic antidepressant that provides opioid-like effects so Suboxone isn't going to help as much as it would as if you were coming of a straight-up opiate. My buddy from Philly was coming off tranq which usually has xylazine in it so suboxone didn't help that much because it isn't an opioid either.
I'm on Wellbutrin too, it doesn't block the suboxone. I'm positive on that. That said wellbutrin can make some people feel funky when coming off dope because it is an NDRI. It's a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor so the extra dopamine can cause anxiety (according to my shrink). I've heard it's good for PAWS, but probably not for the early stages of WD. Honestly, I'm not sure what people use to get off Tia because I've never tried it.
For the sake of harm reduction, Idk if this is a good idea but in theory if you could get your hands on pharma opioids, maybe you could ease the pain by using just enough of the opiate to feel well until the Tia WDs subside. Then you could use the suboxone to ween off of the opiate. I'd only recommend this if you are 100% sure you aren't gonna get hooked on opiates again and you are 100% sure you can get pharma opiates. Otherwise, you run the risk of having to come off fentanyl or nitazenes which is a whole other beast.
Do you have insurance? Maybe it's worth calling some local detox centers and asking if they can make you comfortable while coming off Tia. Not sure if they are equipped to do that but it's worth a call.
Hope you feel better soon bruv!

I can make it about three days without suboxone before I cave in and take some. Is there anything OTC that I can buy that could help me with withdrawals? I have to be able to drive/function. I do have gabapentin and clonodine but I already have naturally low blood pressure so I really don't want to take clonodine during the day. I also don't want to take too much gabapentin. Is there any supplement or anything (not kratom or weed or anything from a smoke shop) that I can buy at a drug store or super market or amazon that would help? Or am I just SOL? Thank you.
Phenibut In high doses, over 50 mg, tranquilizing effects, suppress motor activity, pain response, and induces altered electrical activity in the brain.
Taken chronically, tolerance to the sedative effects over time. ca be ordered online

Kava-Reduce pain sensations, Scientifically demonstrated that Kava can decrease the craving associated with substances use,•higher doses to feel the effects like a benzodiazepine.

Lopermide (Imodium)-Self-Medicating to Treat Opioid Withdrawal,, some people take high doses of loperamide as a way to self-medicate and avoid symptoms of opioid withdrawal. Rather than using loperamide to simulate an opioid high, a person may take loperamide as a way to treat a physical dependence on opioids.