• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Suboxone vs Subutex

kron114

Greenlighter
Hey guys I need a little advice. I’ve been on Suboxone for a couple weeks now. My doctor classified me as having a severe heroin addiction and prescribed me 8mg tablets and told me to start with 8mg and take another tablet if I need it. After talking with a couple people on bluelight I decided to try a different approach. I started with a micro dose and built up to 8-12mgs throughout the day the first week. Kinda following the Bernese method. This week I’ve been front loading in the morning with 4mg then wait about 4 hours and take another 2mg, then another 2mg 4 hours later etc. When I hit the 8mg point I get a headache. After that comes intense hot flashes and sweating. The past 24hrs have been one long ass hot flash.
I had a phone call follow up with my doctor today and told her what I was experiencing. She’s switching me to Subutex. She’s hoping it’s the Naloxone causing these reactions. She also told me to take 4mg in the morning and see if that’s enough to hold me.
I’m hoping those of you who have tried both or have extensive knowledge of bupenorphrine will chime in and tell me what you think. Is it the naloxone I’m reacting to in which case Subutex is the way to go or is it the bupe and I’ll be in the same boat. Thanks in advance for your help.

Subutex is definitely a better option and hopefully solves the issues.

I personally believe I am allergic or react poorly to naloxone due to the overall way I react to suboxone, but my clinic doesn't prescribe subutex.

Please let me know if it helps and best wishes

Last edited:
I was hoping you specifically would read my post! You were the first person on here to give me help and hope.
I’ll keep you posted if it helps.

It could like OK said be the naloxone. At one point I couldnt tolerate subutex even at the lowest doses but it changed. Considering your habit I imagine that methadone would work betterly. Try the subutex and see how it goes.

I’m not sure yet. If the script is ready I can pick it up today. If not I’ll have to wait til tomorrow.
And, how does 4mg feel? I tried 6mg today in the AM, that felt good, and frankly at any dose it obliterates my enduring, moderate pain. Later in the afternoon, like 4pm I took 4mg more. I'd say this is a good way to do it. Although at .5 it also kills pain, there is a nice feeling from jumbo-dosing, like 4 or 6mg all at once. Kron, holler!

How long have you been on it? you could just be still adjusting - most people feel shitty the first week.

And does anyone know any gnarly aspects of naloxone side effects? Im thinking I should ask for a switch to Subutex. As long as Im clearly not an active addict anymore, I think my doc should consider the switch. I think it's cheaper, so my insurance will like it.

And, how does 4mg feel? I tried 6mg today in the AM, that felt good, and frankly at any dose it obliterates my enduring, moderate pain. Later in the afternoon, like 4pm I took 4mg more. I'd say this is a good way to do it. Although at .5 it also kills pain, there is a nice feeling from jumbo-dosing, like 4 or 6mg all at once. Kron, holler!
4mgs today felt pretty good. I’m thinking about taking another 2mg now this it’s nighttime so I don’t wake up feeling like crap. It seems to be at higher doses is when it disagrees with my body.

And does anyone know any gnarly aspects of naloxone side effects? Im thinking I should ask for a switch to Subutex. As long as Im clearly not an active addict anymore, I think my doc should consider the switch. I think it's cheaper, so my insurance will like it.
Can’t hurt to ask for a switch. But in my experience doctors don’t like when addicts ask for meds. I just told my doctor what was going on and let her come to her own conclusion about the switch. Even though I’d wanted Subutex from the get go. I’d been on Suboxone four years ago and experienced the same intense hot flashes. Which led me to taper down on my own and get off the subs after only being on them for a month and a half. I felt proud of myself at the time for getting off the subs so quick. Looking back on it now though if I’d stayed on them I wouldn’t have relapsed 8 months later. Which brings us to now... 3 years later trying to get clean again but off black tar h this time, not oxys. I’ve never been an IV user so that’s probably why my doctor was willingly to switch me to Subutex. I’m under the impression that the point of the Naloxone is to prevent you from shooting it.

I’m under the impression that the point of the Naloxone is to prevent you from shooting it.
Thanks for the tip! As for the above quoted part, yes, and im sure you've heard, that it does not actually work to prevent injection, although that was its intended purpose supposedly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! As for the above quoted part, yes, and im sure you've heard, that it does not actually work to prevent injection, although that was its intended purpose supposedly.

Ano yeah, the half-lives of Bupe and Naloxone are massively different. The Naloxone may delay the onset of Bupe for only about 30 mins lol.