• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

suboxone tapering

Amber, the reason I recommend a slow taper for you is because you have been taking buprenorphine for so long your brain is used to it. Unless you wean it off slowly, your brain will object to it and plunge you into withdrawal.

You can try to step up the taper schedule a bit. Try 1mg/week so that after a month you're down to 2mg (you're at 6mg/day now, right?)

Also, there's nothing wrong with tapering secretly without your doctor knowing and stockpiling the remaining amount for a rainy day.

Edit: 1mg every 3 days might work. Just mentally prepare yourself for when you start hitting the low range/0mg.

Thanks Phil. I'm gonna try the every 3 day taper. Was on 6mg for 3 months. Did 4mg for 3 days and just started 3mg today. So here I go. I'm definitely mentally preparing myself and arming myself with medicines I've been reading about that help with the withdrawals.

That should work great, actually. Remember that buorenorphine has a long half life so the 3mg from 24 hours ago is probably 60-70% still active.

Yeah just have your little comfort kit ready and you'll be fine. I like stockpiling benzos (xanax for falling asleep and Valium for long lasting anxiolysis/comfort through the day). I also take THC orally and dose diphenhydramine constantly to combat runny nose/sneezing and get drowsy enough for it to overpower any insomnia.

Its a great sign that you've tapered from a long term 6mg/day dose to 3mg. No discomfort there?

There's not much discomfort yet. Today is day two of 2mg. I got as much rest as I could over the weekend, but I think the insomnia may already be kicking in? The past 3 nights have taken me a lot longer to fall asleep than usual. I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a child. I've been smoking pot and taking 2mg of clonazepam before bed, but this was something I was doing already except not pot every night. I was tempted to take extra clonazepam and some nyquil, but I don't want to do that while it's not tooo bad yet and save it for when it gets worse. Other than depression (which I've been feeling for some time already), I've just had very minor diarrhea in the morning.

And yeah, I'm glad I saved a lot of scripts that I never really used that have been highly recommended on here. I'm already prescribed clonazepam and have quite a stockpile. I also have some muscle relaxers and naproxen sodium.

I'm starting to get a bit more nervous as the end gets closer, of course, but still determined.

Before you waste your time honestly ask this question in front of a mirror. Am I trying to taper off Subs or completely end my opiate dependence for good? There is a big difference between the two and most people realize the later has to come and they never really wanted it to end in the first place. Like being busy but not accomplishing much.