• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone snort vs sublingual

Kizaru

Bluelighter
Hi,

I mostly read taking suboxone sublingual is pretty much the same as snorting it . But i find snorting has a much better effect (more recreational) then sublingual . I also remember the first time i took it i barely felt nausia and a friend of mine who also used suboxone said snorting doesnt give much nausia compared to sublingual and that the high of snorting was more energetic . He said sublingual doesnt have any recreational effects compared to snorting .
I have only tried snorting so far but i wanted to quit suboxone in the near future . I possible have slight withdrawal but just a little and thought it would be better to taper using it sublingual ?

Hi there @Kizaru I hope you're doing well.

Your experience with Buprenorphine (Subutex; Suboxone) is pretty much what one would expect. The effects of Buprenorphine are going to vary significantly from one Route of Administration (ROA), to another. This differing potency is referred to as a substance's Bioavailability.

Buprenorphine when taken sublingually is typically bioavailable at a rate of 30%. When Buprenorphine is absorbed intransally aka by insufflation, this bioavailability can be as high as 45%-48%. This information implies that when insufflated and absorbed effectively, meaning the drug is absorbed by the nasal mucosa and does not end up going down the throat and absorbed by the gut (a bioavailbility of ~10% for you watching at home) which accounts for the variability stating the total bioavailability by insufflation can be as low as 30%.

This means you will be absorbing more of the drug and will lead to a higher level of tolerance and eventually, dependence upon Buprenorphine if you continue. It's not strange or unexpected and this is why a lot of folks move from Sublingual administration to intransal in scenarios of self-medication.

Your experience with Buprenorphine (Subutex; Suboxone) is pretty much what one would expect. The effects of Buprenorphine are going to vary significantly from one Route of Administration (ROA), to another. This differing potency is referred to as a substance's Bioavailability.

Buprenorphine when taken sublingually is typically bioavailable at a rate of 30%. When Buprenorphine is absorbed intransally aka by insufflation, this bioavailability can be as high as 45%-48%. This information implies that when insufflated and absorbed effectively, meaning the drug is absorbed by the nasal mucosa and does not end up going down the throat and absorbed by the gut (a bioavailbility of ~10% for you watching at home) which accounts for the variability stating the total bioavailability by insufflation can be as low as 30%.

This means you will be absorbing more of the drug and will lead to a higher level of tolerance and eventually, dependence upon Buprenorphine if you continue. It's not strange or unexpected and this is why a lot of folks move from Sublingual administration to intransal in scenarios of self-medication.
Thanks for the information , i knew snorting had a higher bioavaliability . I always check wiki psychonaut for these kind of things . But i kinda ment the high itself is different compared to sublingual (this is what i heard , i only snorted it)
So lets say if you would have the exact same dose 1.5 mg insuffalated compared to 2 or 2.5mg sublingual the high from snorting is different ? Or is this still what you are trying to explain ? Thanks for warning me about faster tolerance and dependancy i kinda didn't think about that . I am going to quit because i don't want to get addicted and i feel like i am fooling myself that it is not addictive . Still though suboxone helped me tremendously with other addiction and i am grateful for that . Even if i am going to wd i will bare it . But i can still quite easy go 72 hours on 0.10 so i don't think i am really dependant (not yet i know)

If you're on it long enough, you likely won't get much of a high either way, unless you're really stretching your days.

If you're on it long enough, you likely won't get much of a high either way, unless you're really stretching your days.
Yes man i know that , suboxone has a ceiling effect . But i am not on it all times , many times i only take 0.20 per 24 hours . I use it off label for depression and other addictions 👍 i also try leaving days in between and sometimes i take a max of 1mg recreational dose but not more then that .

I too have been on Suboxone for a few years and have never heard of snorting it so to speak. How in the world do you even do that?

I get the strips. So would you just dissolve it in liquid and kind of inhale it?
I did read it was also possible with the strips but with a special technique . I have the pill form so thats why .

I get the strips. So would you just dissolve it in liquid and kind of inhale it?
But if you are on suboxone for years it doesnt matter if you take sublingual or snort , you won't suddenly get a high of snorted in your case .

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here. I feel strongly on the subject though. I would feel badly if yoh walked away from this with anything other than the real dope.

A lot of folks go the very easy route of simply dissolving the strip in a vehicle, typically sterile water. They break down quickly as one might expect. I think this is part of the reason why they are so notorious for causing complications.

This issue here that we're discussing isn't limited just to Buprenorphine. I believe this is one of those "hidden" topics involved in drug addiction. It's not known due to its complexity, the general public's aversion to trying to understand.

A lot of people who have never dealt with addiction, especially to drugs, but really to anything frame the idea of addiction from their own perspective. "How could a person do that? Why don't they just quit?

Here is an example:

A lot of folks who know nothing about Opioids are aware that withdrawal is a days' long process. I'm usually pretty impressed by how many laypeople with no involvement in drugs know that Heroin withdrawal is a ~72 hour process. Perhaps it's just been featured so many times in pop-culture, movies and music that it's easy enough to pick up on. I don't know.

With this in mind, I've heard plenty of people make commentary to the effect of stating "he was in jail for 30 days, he's had time to withdraw, get healthy, find God and plan for a new life". It makes sense. However we know that this is not so simple. I think about Heroin several times per day, every day and I haven't injected Heroin for over 5 years now. I've heard many say that the feeling never goes away. I'm not neuroscientist, though it does seem that there are serious connections in our brains that last longer than just the period in which we're physically ill.

A lot of people aren't aware of the fact that a chronic Opioid/Alcohol user can restart their habit from square one within just a few days of usage. Considering the length of time it takes for a person to go from happy/healthy to completely inundated by their addiction is often months if not years in process. The changes are slow. So, when a person takes their person who was released from jail with a "brand new start" in life go from living in the house to sleeping on a dirty mattress in an alley in less than 48 hours. They don't understand.

Lastly, my main point, we all have hit the wall in addiction/dependence not to stop, but to dive even deeper than we ever had before for a reward that is a small fraction of what we thought we were getting. You go from stealing a 20 out of your Mom's purse to get really high, feel great and do other fun stuff. Years later, you're sucking someone's dick with your only hope being that you won't feel like death after the deed is over. It's diminishing returns. The sad thing is that a number can be divided an infinite number of times.

Somone choosing to start injecting their Buprenorphine is making a bad decision. Yes, it's a bad decision in a general sense. I'm trying to appeal to your sensibility as a junkie in saying that, even if you trade off everything you've got, you're not going to get that same high that your mind is sending you after; the high that you used to get. That is not in existence and you will not find it.

If you want to get high again, reduce your dosage, take a tolerance break and reinduct at lower dosages. Again, diminishing returns. I've found the less you use, the more you get. The problem is, this is the type of exercise that is, in-practice something that never happens with Opioids. 99% of people are either gonna be using them and working their way toward strung out or not using them at all. I love William Burroughs. He is definitely an argument for "maybe it can work". Also, he was from money and received a decent allowance from a Trust, I think until death.

I've met people who have achieved stability using maintenance. The sweet spot for both Methadone and Buprenorphine is the same. It seems to be highly dependent upon the dosage. Lower dosages seem to provide more benefit with less side effects. We all know getting really fucking jammed always sounds like fun if you're a user, but again, in practice, a person too high on Opioids is just numb, uninteresting and zombified.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here. I feel strongly on the subject though. I would feel badly if yoh walked away from this with anything other than the real dope.

A lot of folks go the very easy route of simply dissolving the strip in a vehicle, typically sterile water. They break down quickly as one might expect. I think this is part of the reason why they are so notorious for causing complications.

This issue here that we're discussing isn't limited just to Buprenorphine. I believe this is one of those "hidden" topics involved in drug addiction. It's not known due to its complexity, the general public's aversion to trying to understand.

A lot of people who have never dealt with addiction, especially to drugs, but really to anything frame the idea of addiction from their own perspective. "How could a person do that? Why don't they just quit?

Here is an example:

A lot of folks who know nothing about Opioids are aware that withdrawal is a days' long process. I'm usually pretty impressed by how many laypeople with no involvement in drugs know that Heroin withdrawal is a ~72 hour process. Perhaps it's just been featured so many times in pop-culture, movies and music that it's easy enough to pick up on. I don't know.

With this in mind, I've heard plenty of people make commentary to the effect of stating "he was in jail for 30 days, he's had time to withdraw, get healthy, find God and plan for a new life". It makes sense. However we know that this is not so simple. I think about Heroin several times per day, every day and I haven't injected Heroin for over 5 years now. I've heard many say that the feeling never goes away. I'm not neuroscientist, though it does seem that there are serious connections in our brains that last longer than just the period in which we're physically ill.

A lot of people aren't aware of the fact that a chronic Opioid/Alcohol user can restart their habit from square one within just a few days of usage. Considering the length of time it takes for a person to go from happy/healthy to completely inundated by their addiction is often months if not years in process. The changes are slow. So, when a person takes their person who was released from jail with a "brand new start" in life go from living in the house to sleeping on a dirty mattress in an alley in less than 48 hours. They don't understand.

Lastly, my main point, we all have hit the wall in addiction/dependence not to stop, but to dive even deeper than we ever had before for a reward that is a small fraction of what we thought we were getting. You go from stealing a 20 out of your Mom's purse to get really high, feel great and do other fun stuff. Years later, you're sucking someone's dick with your only hope being that you won't feel like death after the deed is over. It's diminishing returns. The sad thing is that a number can be divided an infinite number of times.

Somone choosing to start injecting their Buprenorphine is making a bad decision. Yes, it's a bad decision in a general sense. I'm trying to appeal to your sensibility as a junkie in saying that, even if you trade off everything you've got, you're not going to get that same high that your mind is sending you after; the high that you used to get. That is not in existence and you will not find it.

If you want to get high again, reduce your dosage, take a tolerance break and reinduct at lower dosages. Again, diminishing returns. I've found the less you use, the more you get. The problem is, this is the type of exercise that is, in-practice something that never happens with Opioids. 99% of people are either gonna be using them and working their way toward strung out or not using them at all. I love William Burroughs. He is definitely an argument for "maybe it can work". Also, he was from money and received a decent allowance from a Trust, I think until death.

I've met people who have achieved stability using maintenance. The sweet spot for both Methadone and Buprenorphine is the same. It seems to be highly dependent upon the dosage. Lower dosages seem to provide more benefit with less side effects. We all know getting really fucking jammed always sounds like fun if you're a user, but again, in practice, a person too high on Opioids is just numb, uninteresting and zombified.
Good advice man . I am glad i can't get a hold of full opioide agonist because i would instantly be hooked . For me it stays with suboxone and kratom , tapering suboxone atm . I don't want to advice people to start snorting it it takes away its purpose i suppose . Its just i have never been an opioide addict and got into it with starting nasal roa .

Here is an example:

Hey dude,
I'm 53 and was that addict who you referred to in your very well written message. What you said was not only completely correct on every level, but it made me laugh a few times. Yes my inquiry was motivated by my inner addict looking to get a boost from my Suboxone. I have a wonderful life and to lose it would be too much to bear. I'm brand new to this site and how it works but I'm blown away by you taking the time to write that to me. It was sincere and genuine. So thank you!!

Here is an example:

I haven’t injected heroin or even touched in in nearly two decades, still think about it constantly. And I’m on low dose Suboxone!! This shit never goes away it seems. If someone put it in front of me right now not sure I’d be able to say no.

-GC

It's no problem @wsoko I really love listening to the sound of my own genius. Bluelight is a great outlet for that. If some folks get some decent advice in the process, a happy ending for everyone 😉

I'm glad it had meaning for you. In all seriousness, I thought I knew everything about everything after being here for a few years. There are some things that can only be learned through time and pain.

I just hope that my experience can help prevent people from making the most serious mistakes. I'm not here to tell people not to use drugs. We can definitely tell people how to do so in as reasonable a way as possible. I hope it all works out you know where where find us

It's no problem @wsoko I really love listening to the sound of my own genius. Bluelight is a great outlet for that. If some folks get some decent advice in the process, a happy ending for everyone 😉

I'm glad it had meaning for you. In all seriousness, I thought I knew everything about everything after being here for a few years. There are some things that can only be learned through time and pain.

I just hope that my experience can help prevent people from making the most serious mistakes. I'm not here to tell people not to use drugs. We can definitely tell people how to do so in as reasonable a way as possible. I hope it all works out you know where where find us
Great post