• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone Question

BrokenPages

Greenlighter
Hey guys 'll try to make this short, I'm in IOP for alcoholism and I am struggling really bad with cravings to drink or do whatever I can to alter my state of mind but I haven't yet. I was wondering do Doctors give Suboxone to alcoholics, I only ask because the last time I took subs I felt something from it and it helped. I understand that alcoholics are given naltrexone but from what I read you don't feel anything from it and it just helps with cravings and I would rather take something to help with the cravings AND take the edge off. What do you guys think?

Hey guys 'll try to make this short, I'm in IOP for alcoholism and I am struggling really bad with cravings to drink or do whatever I can to alter my state of mind but I haven't yet. I was wondering do Doctors give Suboxone to alcoholics, I only ask because the last time I took subs I felt something from it and it helped. I understand that alcoholics are given naltrexone but from what I read you don't feel anything from it and it just helps with cravings and I would rather take something to help with the cravings AND take the edge off. What do you guys think?

Have u got or can u get access to Benzos?

No, a doctor absolutely will not rx subs to an alcoholic. That is only an alcoholic and not also a junkie.

Buperenorphine is a highly addictive drug and very abusable if you do not have an opi tolerance.

I would not recommend taking subs to treat alcoholism. Go ahead and try naltrexone but please do not use sub to try to stay off alcohol. You would essentially be using a recreational drug tp get off alcohol

L
I

It could theoretically be less destructive than alcohol, and certainly would offer you a crutch, but you would be trading alcoholism for opiate addiction.

Fantastic advice, that makes sense now that I am reading that. I guess I just need to grin and bare it, I just was thinking there must be something they give people to help cope with while your going threw this. So you feel nothing while taking Naltrexone other then it helps with cravings?