• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone & Pregnant!! *Thoughts* Best thing to do? First trimester. Anybody been through this??

Bidleys

Greenlighter
Hi everybody I am new to Blue-light but have been lurking on this forum for many years. My problem is I have just very recently found out that I'm pregnant (about 6 weeks) I'm really excited but scared that I've messed up bad. I have been using the tinyest amount of subs daily. About .5mg to some days 2mgs and have made myself stuck. I have tried a few times to quit and make it a couple weeks even and then have a little bit to feel better and it all goes out the window. I'm currently taking .5mgs daily, sometimes skipping a day and I've found out I'm pregnant. I have a plan to taper lower and kick this. I really will do this for my baby's sake but I've been reading all over these forums and other places that WDs are way more dangerous then just having a maintenance dose until birth.

Does anybody have any real life experience with this or any information on options, links, anything ect.

I will definitely be talking with my doctor or maybe a few doctors to find the safest option available. I don't want my child born addicted but I do want what is safest.

This is the only forum I would even ask this question on as I know there is a wealth of knowledge on here and people don't seem to judge :)

Hope to hear from some people asap!

Bidleys x
Also I am at a already higher risk of miscarriage due to age and past medical issues so I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Thanks again x

Welcome to Bluelight!

I would highly suggest going to a maintenance doctor and either getting on a taper if you think you can stick to it. Or just staying on until you give birth.

Most clinics will give you the highest priority due to your situation. Important to consider that if you are taking it illicitly and you go in for an anatomy scan and they test your urine it will show up and that could make a good situation bad. Or at least rough. Depends on where you are in the country.

As to what is the best for your child. I don’t think we have any obstetricians on here. But I know we have mothers who deal with substance issues.

You should let us know what your doctor says. Keep us updated. It’s going to go great. You’re already thinking about this at week 6. Tiny peanut is in great care.

I believe a lot of the literature says subs do no harm to the baby, but I would take that with a grain of salt as the company who makes it prolly funded that research…if you can get on a taper plant and get off soon that would be ideal, if not just try to stay on the lowest dose possible, nothing worse then seeing a newborn go through withdrawl….good luck, I hope everything works out

Absolutely do not taper without both an OBGYN and addiction medicine doctor monitoring you. I was told when I was 7 months pregnant by an idiotic OBGYN (this was 15 years ago. my daughter just turned 14 last week!) that it was ok to stop my sub dose that was over 30mg cold turkey. I did it because I had a lot of pressure from family to get off it before delivering so baby wouldn't have withdrawals. Well, baby still has them even if you taper while pregnant and its even more dangerous as they can't monitor and give meds regular. I went through a week of cold turkey sub withdrawal before my daughter was not moving much anymore and I called a local detox at a hospital that specifically had a ward for pregnant women and they didn't want me to panic but said I needed to take an ambulance if I couldn't get a ride NOW. I had use 30s a few times to stop the withdrawal during that week and the addiction medication doctor who also was an obgyn said it saved my daughter's life. Opiate withdrawal can very easily make you miscarry especially this early and even from minor withdrawal. Please if you want this pregnancy go find an addiction medication doctor that is an ob too or find a good ob that is knowledgeable about subs. I was told by the Dr at the detox they were having to call to educate drs regularly to not tell pregnant women to stop opiates cold turkey. my daughter was born 3 weeks later at 37 weeks. she was tiny but I was very sick and had hyperemesis during my entire 37 weeks and vomited daily at least 5 to 10 times a day sometimes 20. I lost 30lbs. I only gained about 10 back of it by 37 weeks. My daughter was born weighing 5lbs and was absolutely perfect. She had minor withdrawals and jaundice (unrelated to subs) so she stayed in the step-down unit (picu) for 6 days and only had to get the lowest dose of morphine they offer. She was then weaned off that and it helped I was nursing as she got little amounts of the subs to help with withdrawal the Dr said. If you have more questions let me know. I will answer them to the best of my ability since I've lived through this and so has my kiddo. Also she's healthy as a horse, never had any major issues or surgery, highly gifted in school, and never showed any signs of learning disabilities or cognitive issues including mental health issues thus far.