• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction SUBOXONE MAKING ME FEEL SHITTY!?!?!?!

Deicide1212

Bluelighter
I have been taking suboxone for a year, now. I have had my share of side effects from it: sweating, headache, insomnia etc... lately, about an hour after it dissolves. I get INTENSE headaches, find it difficult to breathe, heart palpations. Plus, the insomnia is getting worse. My dose has not changed. I take 2mg twice a day. I have been the hospital, and they cant find anything wrong with me. Has anybody experienced this. Am I safe to assume. Thst these feeling are from the drug. I would appreciate anyones insights. Please amd thank you!!

suboxone is the worst
Thank you. I appreciate the reply. Would you be able to elaborate, a bit. I am trying to figure out, if what I am feeling, is a result of the suboxone, or something else entirely. I also get dizzy (light headed), anxiety etc... thanks!!

Sometimes certain people respond to certain opioids in a negative way. I've met people who are allergic to codeine but not the others. I've met people who can't really take any opiate or opioid painkiller at all unless it's under a physicians supervision. I imagine there's a few that there is no option.

@Deru Subutex (being subs buprenorphine minus the naloxone) is the NUMBER ONE drug of abuse in the country of Finland. I can assure a lot of people disagree.

Naloxone taken orally is 0-3 per cent body absorption or bioavailability. Buprenorphine is a straight opioid with 1mg being roughly equivalent to 60-70mg morphine..

They add the naloxone to stop people using IV. It's still at a ratio to not be excruciating for most and naloxones half life is still 30 mins average compared to bupes up to 68 hours.

It will fuck up the hit of the shot and especially if you're not too tolerant to buprenorphine like it doesn't feel good. Deicide1212 do NOT inject this as a possible solution.

Bupe just hits different receptors, as ALL opioids do.

(Please don't make this a precipitated WD thread if you're not the OP because 1. it's inappropriate and 2. I'll prove you wrong wrong wrong without a single DOI cited article - unless I do use like 5 and some additional in a followup)

The problem with certain responses here is usually within a lot of smart peoples inability to realize their own mythology or how we often still have little blanket statements like this to discourage. It's fine, forums are here for discussion.

@Deicide1212 I'm thinking you need to ask within the systems your probably using here for an easy switch to methadone instead. Not too high a dose. They'll probably try you at 20-30mg. If that isn't working either you need to decide what's more manageable, what else might be on the table and whatever way that won't fuck your life up, or taper it and quit.

Sometimes the treatments aren't for everyone and being locked in addictions on paper can wreck everything else. Learn what you can access, how, ask questions, etc.

I'm pretty good at figuring things out if you need more input from me personally. I'm on here most days.

it has nothing to do with the naloxone in the suboxone formulation. it's a non-issue, it's destroyed by your body with the low bioavailability as your previously mentioned. you can disagree, dismiss, debate, whatever, doesn't really matter to me. i was on it for over 10 years. I'm talking about buprenorphine itself. the issues i have with it are multifaceted. the first and foremost is its not a full agonist opioid. as the dose goes up you saturate your receptors and can barely feel a thing. so you become severely addicted to an opioid with an excruciating long half-life for literally nothing. the sweet spot to actually feel something not feel like a zombie trapped in torture chamber of nothingness is under 2mg sublingual. it doesn't saturate the receptors fully and allows you to actually feel the euphoria.

at this point i would never personally touch an opioid again as i was a slave to them for too long. but the top of my list of despise i have for opioids is easily buprenorphine. i've done many different ones. bupe is trash. and it's honestly sad that the industry pumps people up with it to help with their addiction making them bigger addicts in the process.\

0/10. wouldn't recommend.

@Joey i wonder why that would be the highest drug of abuse in Finland. is there a supply issue there or what is even happening there?

I tried Suboxone twice in my life and it made me feel like I was poisoned. Excruciating headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc.

I've never really understood the point of taking it, because you're basically combining at opioid agonist with an antagonist at the same time, which is sending you into instant withdrawal.

It would be like mixing a shot of heroin mixed with Narcan!

I know that it seems to work for some people, but definitely not me.

@Joey i wonder why that would be the highest drug of abuse in Finland. is there a supply issue there or what is even happening there?
From my own reading and a documentary I watched called Reindeer Spotting - it just kind of exploded because it was the strong IV hit, cheaper than whatever was last, and to this day #1.

Opioids that more normal for us like heroin or fentanyl is a treat in Finland because it just isn't around as much. Not nearly.

So subs can feel kind of subpar for us, but as their mainstay thats their dynamite, know what I mean. Bupre by itself is actually a very strong and long lasting opioid even if it's experienntally different because it hits nu receptors rather than mu receptors.

Here, mu receptors are considered more psychoactive, like the rush and tingle of it.. But I'd theorize that a place like Finland where people mostly get it the other way - they feel the nu receptor better.

Last edited:
I tried Suboxone twice in my life and it made me feel like I was poisoned. Excruciating headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc.

I've never really understood the point of taking it, because you're basically combining at opioid agonist with an antagonist at the same time, which is sending you into instant withdrawal.

It would be like mixing a shot of heroin mixed with Narcan!

I know that it seems to work for some people, but definitely not me.
Naloxone is 0-3% bioavailability and also a 1/2 hour halflife. If taken sublingual or oral.

Intranasal is 40℅ bioavailability and IV 100%. Half Life is still 30mins.

Buprenorphine's half life is up to 68 hours. A serious suboxone (of Subutex in Finland w/ no naloxone) would require a long series of narcanning under medical supervision.

However once this is in someone head so bad, and the fact that bupre hits a different set of opioid receptor most of us (outside Finland for instance) it may just feel like shit for a lot of people. Whether thats medically reasonable or not. How people believe affects how they feel so I can't argue truly how you're medically wrong when you actually do feel like shit when you take suboxone. Because regardless of the reason, lots of people do even if they DONT take a version of it with naloxone / narcan.

To further your point @Joey , sometimes naloxone in extremely small doses can actually make you feel the opioid more. It's used in surgeries sometimes in combination with opioids to mitigate the amount of opioids that need to be administered. So yeah unless you IV suboxone and have the full 100% bioavailability of the naloxone, if anything, it's actually helping your tolerance and your ability to feel the opioid.

it has nothing to do with the naloxone in the suboxone formulation. it's a non-issue, it's destroyed by your body with the low bioavailability as your previously mentioned. you can disagree, dismiss, debate, whatever, doesn't really matter to me. i was on it for over 10 years. I'm talking about buprenorphine itself. the issues i have with it are multifaceted. the first and foremost is its not a full agonist opioid. as the dose goes up you saturate your receptors and can barely feel a thing. so you become severely addicted to an opioid with an excruciating long half-life for literally nothing. the sweet spot to actually feel something not feel like a zombie trapped in torture chamber of nothingness is under 2mg sublingual. it doesn't saturate the receptors fully and allows you to actually feel the euphoria.

at this point i would never personally touch an opioid again as i was a slave to them for too long. but the top of my list of despise i have for opioids is easily buprenorphine. i've done many different ones. bupe is trash. and it's honestly sad that the industry pumps people up with it to help with their addiction making them bigger addicts in the process.\

0/10. wouldn't recommend.
I like them more than you do, but if I had my own way I'd also add-on a 3/3 full agonist on the MU's.. Like I bet that a combo methadone AND suboxone wouldn't be too bad.

I'm moving to Toronto pretty soon and there are safe supply there. I'm gonna keep my subs if I can and I'm gonna start using hydro in addition. I am 100% going to use my clout as a harm reduction worker in several agencies to make it happen. That might help that supply too because I can verifiably make those kinds of board meetings and push for better and broader services in any way I know how.

In Canada a safe supply is where you get your dope, even to IV if you wish, decent amount every say, legal, and it reduces police and hospital interactions by 95% - by a 2021 Vancouver study.

I desperately want on so I'm pushing for it... There's barely any in Ontario compared to BC but Toronto has a few.

Last edited:
To further your point @Joey , sometimes naloxone in extremely small doses can actually make you feel the opioid more. It's used in surgeries sometimes in combination with opioids to mitigate the amount of opioids that need to be administered. So yeah unless you IV suboxone and have the full 100% bioavailability of the naloxone, if anything, it's actually helping your tolerance and your ability to feel the opioid.
Thank you. That's really interesting to know. I guess just that 3% tinge of it could be almost compared to a minor irriration that makes you feel it more then? I have never read anything about this.

There's a bunch of studies out there on PubMed about it. I used to read about it a ton back in the day when I was still using opioids. If you Google something along the lines of "naloxone reverses tolerance" or "ultra-low dose naltrexone" or something similar you'll be off to the races with info. Obviously just make sure it's a credible source and not something written on the front page of an addiction rehab website lol.

Yeah from my two dozen or so experiences with buprenorphine I can say I would definitely not want to be maintained on that stuff. Made me feel strangely jumpy and nervous, as well as somewhat dissociated. Wouldn't want to be stuck on that. Methadone blows it out of the water as far as a maintenance drug. Best not to be on either though.

I'd rather be on kratom maintenance than buprenorphine.

I have only been taking suboxone for a few months and I was forced on it from 90 mg morphine a day.
I was doing just fine on the 90 mg morphine a day.
I am a real chronic pain patient and I have just been in hell since being forced onto 24 mg a day suboxone.
I have had some kind of really bad virus on top of everything for a month, my mom had it also, we are just getting over that so it is hard for me to say what symptoms are from what.

Finding out how strong it is now, I am so mad that I got put on this!
I feel terrible.

In the pamphlet that comes with suboxone, it says it can raise intracranial cerebral pressure. This causes headaches & can even cause cerebral spinal fluid leaks.
This is an attribute specific to partial agonists (as in full agonists do not do this).
I had headaches non-stop for the first 6-12 months on subs. But they stopped after that & I've been on it for 5 years now.
So basically Suboxone can give you a stroke & fuck all kinds of things in your body, but hey at least it's not a "deadly" full agonist right???

And what the hell is the "nu receptor" that Joey is talking about? Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no "nu receptor" and Suboxone definitely hits the mu receptor, but it's also only a partial agonist. So it does not activate the receptor as much as a full agonist. There are also sub receptors, like mu1, mu2 & mu3. Drugs like heroin & what not that actually give euphoria attach to mu2. Drugs like buprenorphine hit more along the lines of mu1 & mu3. So this combined with that fact that it doesn't even activate the receptor all the way, is why buprenorphine has barely any positive effects, yet is still a strong opioid.

Last edited:
I have been taking suboxone for a year, now. I have had my share of side effects from it: sweating, headache, insomnia etc... lately, about an hour after it dissolves. I get INTENSE headaches, find it difficult to breathe, heart palpations. Plus, the insomnia is getting worse. My dose has not changed. I take 2mg twice a day. I have been the hospital, and they cant find anything wrong with me. Has anybody experienced this. Am I safe to assume. Thst these feeling are from the drug. I would appreciate anyones insights. Please amd thank you!!
I took Suboxone for years, first time trying it was in 03, a friend and I were dope sick and went to this dude house to buy some dope or oxy or a fent patch, anything that could get us well, he didnt had any but he pulls out two 8mg orange pills that i hadnt seen before and says something like its like methadone or some shit, my friend and i were disappointed that he didnt have heroin and we were really sick so we took them (i still remember the guy telling us, "dont swallow them, let them dissolve under your tongue" lol) and 15 minutes later we got well and even had a bit of an energy boost, we thought in that moment "this is the greatest invention of the twenty-first century (even though its a medication of the 20th century)" how wrong we were. Anyways that's lil story of the first time hearing, seeing and taking Suboxone.

Now regarding your case with the headaches and insomnia. I remember getting nasty headaches for a lil over month, these were very painful ones (years later i had an 6 to 7 week case of cluster headaches AKA suicide headaches, medically speaking they are regarded as one of the worst pains a person could get, yeah....that nickname is for something), i was prescribed two 8mg daily, one in the morning one if the afternoon. Very quickly i noticed that if i took the afternoon one a bit later it would cut my sleep, get insomnia and feel kinda pumped for the whole night, kinda wired. Also very quickly i noticed that this is a very powerful med and that i didnt really need the afternoon dose, so by myself i started taking 12mg instead of the 16mg, then just 8mg in the morning and it would hold me for the day no problem, so by not taking it in the late afternoon or evening no more insomnia. At that time, the suboxone was giving me an energy boost but i was getting the headaches, started taking them with two tylenols, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt, started taking less than the 8mg and i felt like the headaches was less intense, also sometimes i got them and other times i didnt get them, after almost 5 weeks of ALWAYS getting headaches i felt a bit of improvement. Nothing to do about the sweating though, i got that all the time when i was on them. Now i started doing something very stupid (and no, i aint taking about precipitated wds, i got many of those with the damn Subox and still having heroin in my system, they suck bad) i started sniffing them. As I mentioned before, i got the 8mg white pill (no Orange ones were i live in Europe, in NY all i got were the orange ones) and they are easy to grind to powder, making a very clean fine powder with no residue and it didnt burn the nose at all and it didnt fuck up my nostrils, it gave me a lil dope euphoria rush (at the beginning, then it was probably psychosomatic, all in my head,plus i had heard (which was bs btw) that like liquid methadone, subox will fuck up your mouth, your gums and maybe a tooth would fall. The headaches subsided to the point were it was weird when i actually got one, also i started using less, like 2 to 4mg per day and if i wanted to get a lil buzz going i would sniff 8 to 10 12mg, no 16mg, because it gave me headaches, it was a lot of powder and i just felt weird, thats the thing with Suboxone its a weird med. Years of sniffing them, which even though i didnt get cravings for dope its still addict behavior.

Anyways I see that you are taking the lowest pill dose they make (2mg.....at least they were when i was taking them), Maybe you can just take 1mg (which even though is half your morning dose, im sure it can hold u), also in the afternoon take em as early as u can so it doesnt fuck up your sleep, also 1mg, or see if with 1mg it can hold u throughout the day, if u think that going from 4mg to 1mg u are going to get sick or something, then start with 2mg (one as soon as u wake up, like use an alarm to take them early if you are not a morning person and one early afternoon) you will be surprised how powerful suboxone really is and the long ass half life it has. With this medication sometimes less is more but it varies A LOT from person to person. Im not recommending you to administer them like i did, im just being honest, snorted them for years and never did any nostril damage, a bit of a buzz and no more headaches.

I do have to agree with @Deru here, Suboxone is a fucked up drug, some people love it and give praise to it, some people regain their life back, shit even i believe that its a great medicine to help somebody kick heroin or fetty, to use it for a couple of weeks tops BUT as a replacement maintenance drug, HELL NO, its an evil bastard and if you are getting all those side effects, after a year of taking em, maybe you should try switching to methadone (which is another hellish drug to kick, if you want to live an opiate free life, im on day 74 after jumping from 20mg of methadone) or maybe if you feel ready or want it, give it a try and quit them, but thats a huge and very personal decision. I can tell you this though, those side effects are going to increase, like instead of an energy boost, you feel unmotivated, you feel tired all the time, you feel very dependent of them, like they are on your mind if you have to make a two week trip or something , also lil by lil it will eat away your libido until your sex drive plummets, some plp get really fat on it (maybe because plp get lazy on it) your emotions are numbed, and not in a euphoric dope kinda of way but in a shitty horrible way, you become very indifferent, and overall you just dont feel like yourself anymore, like your true self is gone, your soul aint there, its just this dark cloud following you, if you can relate to some or any of these side effects that im describing, then rest assure they are going to come, it might take a while, and to quit suboxone uffff, thats another story.....but for some, it has given them their life back, a second chance and then some....i was NOT one of those cases. Anyways sorry for the long ass reply, just wanted to share my experience with this drug that for so many years was part of my life to the point were it took my soul, slowly but surely.

I was an Oxy Cotton prescription status for a legitimate basis for 22 years. I was also an IV heroin drug user for three years prior to my 22 years of OxyContin pain management
The one thing I noticed when I went to get assistance to discontinue speedballing 10 black and 10 white a day
They pretty much told me I was the last cars and the people who speedball have a 2% recovery ratio with rehab and wouldn’t help me so what I learned through this experience after getting subs elsewhere, I probably had two or three of them and I cut them up into eight pieces. They were 8 mg strips so I was taking 1 mg a day and within a week I was fine. I went 14 years without one relapse and now I relapsed, it’s totally shit but whatever.
My recommendation would be to cut up your 2 mg strips into 4 to 6 pieces and take one of those pieces in the morning and one of those pieces at night. People do not understand that you do not need this exuberant amount of Suboxone in their system. It’s too strong drag but it doesn’t get you high so you don’t realise it
The shelflife on Suboxone is like 72 hours to a week so you don’t even notice the withdrawal, especially if you’re on such a low dose. That’s what I would do. It’s what I do every time I try and quit using opiates
Also, I am not a medical doctor, nor a licensed therapist. However, one thing that really was a game life changer for me. It was something called the small book by Jack Trippney
It’s a non-based 12 step alternative, I don’t like AA, I don’t like 12-step programs. I think they said it’s alright for a relapse to blame it on her higher power and to give us excuses to make bad choices which I don’t think is productive.
The small book is our ETA rational emotive therapy. It helps you to understand why you think the way you do a totally advise downloading it it’s on audible I will leave it on. I work probably in kindle
I hope this helps