• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Suboxone is helping me quit oxycodone and hydrocodone

Chem-man

Bluelighter
I won’t retell all of my story, it is so similar to many others on here. I will just begin at the end where I was taking over 20 pills a day of some combination of oxycodone and hydrocodone. I know that is a lot, but I didn’t get to that quantity overnight...but anyway.
I was done. The pills were absolutely controlling me. I would wake up exhausted and already suffering minor withdrawals, toward the end I was setting my alarm clock a half hour early so I could wake up and take a pill then go back to sleep and get up 30 min later to take another pill and get ready for work. I had to schedule everything around the pills. How many I had, how many I could get, and when I could get them. Obviously it was brutally expensive, plus they really had no effect on me anymore- I was just taking them to keep functioning.
I finally broke down and called my family doctor and told him everything. He set an appointment with me and told me I was to bring my wife with me and tell her everything as well so he could begin treatment. That was rough, of course she knew I was struggling to get off of hydrocodone ( which I had a modest prescription) but she had no idea how many I was taking and that I was buying them. I am a fortunate man that I have a loving wife of twenty years.. her focus was to get me better.
We went to the dr appointment, and I was on day 3 of withdrawal so I was a semi-functioning mess. He gave me the rules and boundaries of the treatment then gave me a prescription for Suboxone to get filled and bring back to the office to take the first 1/2 pill (dissolved under my tongue) in his office. I won’t say the effect was immediate, but within an hour and after another 1/2 pill I was feeling much better. That evening after the rest of then daily dose I felt a lot better! I didn’t sleep at all the first night on Suboxone ( I don’t know why) but could function very well the next day at work. Most importantly, I had no cravings!
Today I am on my nearly two weeks on Suboxone. I had tried tapering and cold turkey to get off the pills and couldn’t do it. On day 3-4 I would give up, frantic to feel ‘normal’. Suboxone has been a miracle for me. I have no cravings and I feel normal. I can’t stress enough how incredible I feel, and the freedoms to leave the house without having to count how many pills I have with me. I know I have in effect traded one very serious addiction for another controlled substance, but this is what is working for me.
Everyone is different, I am not judging anyone or saying “this is how you do it” I’m just saying this is working for me. I feel great and have no cravings at all. I also know that I am extremely fortunate to have a loving wife and a wonderful family doctor.
Hope my story helps someone,
Sam

I am in the same boat!! 20 plus pills a day, and doing that to just get by. I made the mistake of just using Suboxone just to get me through the times I couldn’t score any hydrocodone. I am starting tomorrow and see it through. It’s amazing how it curbs the craving!! It hit me a little harder the first week and like the head change that it longer provides but I know that’s not the purpose. Wish you well man. It’s a tough road!!

I am in the same boat!! 20 plus pills a day, and doing that to just get by. I made the mistake of just using Suboxone just to get me through the times I couldn’t score any hydrocodone. I am starting tomorrow and see it through. It’s amazing how it curbs the craving!! It hit me a little harder the first week and like the head change that it longer provides but I know that’s not the purpose. Wish you well man. It’s a tough road!!
Thank you, and good luck to you to. It is really awesome to not crave the pills, and the feeling of freedom to not have to constantly ‘take inventory’ of supply. It feels like a tremendous weight is off me, I hope it works that way for you also.

Subutex is how I got off pain pills. Worked like a charm. I was taking oxycontin and oxycodone everyday. I only used two full subutex to cover the withdrawal time. I took an eighth of the pill a day. As soon as they were all gone, I was done with both. Such a huge relief to be rid of that addiction. Congrats on making the change!

I just want to give everyone an update. I have been on Suboxone for over a month now and I feel great! I wake up rested and I have no cravings. I know that at some point my doctor and I will decide to start a taper, but for now this has been an absolute life saver.
There is a bit of “the rest of the story...”, and the rest of the story is that I was ready to quit the pills and I simply couldn’t pull it off on my own. I can see where if you weren’t absolutely ready this might not be the thing for everyone but for me the Suboxone has been the best solution by far.