• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone dosage for heavy Tramadol addiction?

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
So I take 12-16 Tramadols a day, of the 50mg ones. I get BAD WD's, just like Oxy. No different..
This amount of Tramadol is just as strong withdrawals wise as 100mg-150mg oxycodone a day.
But what dose should I start at? I figured 2ng. But is that too high perhaps? Too low? I take A LOT of Tramadol, basically 700-800mg daily.

Last edited:
I thought tramadol has a ceiling.
the whlle point of subs is not only is it maintenance it blocks as well.
Officially the suboxone literature says minimum dose for maintenance is 12mg...
I dont know if it would be suitable for trams.
Ive been on 16 for 9 months now for iv heroin..
Although I may get my dose increased later today when I see my doctor.
If you were doing some illegal maintenance 10 or maybe 20 of methadone could work maybe although I domt know about how smart it is to go to stronger opiates for maintenance purposes in your case.

I would tapper down on tramadol. If you are on ~800 mg daily then 50 mg each week until you begin to come around 150-100 mg, then I would quit here cold turkey. You will have physical withdrawal symptoms for around 3-7 days (not slepping etc) and the psychological withdrawals will be harder. They will require you do find some interest. Do some physical exercises etc.

I think that if you switch to Suboxone you will suffer the psychological withdrawals from day 1 as Suboxone cannot cover that aspect of tramadol.

Tramadol ceiling is 450-600mg
Changing to subs from tramadol is a bad idea you could reduce to nothing

If hell bent 0.5mg of subutex 2-4x daily only enough to stop the craving

Discontinue use In 5-10 days or you'll have a new monkey on your back

One alot harder to come off than tramadol
Which was originally unscheduled

Here's the problem: I have ONE 50mg Tramadol pill left!!!
I have 2mg sub strips. If I don't take Tramadol I have bad withdrawals on par in Hydro/Oxy...

SO what if I take: 15mg adderall (to boost mood, plus I'm prescribed them so it's not adding any addiction I normally take 5-10mg daily). Then ALSO take the ONE last 50mg Tramadol.
Then take 37.5mg of Effexo (today or tomorrow). As from what I hear Effexor is very similar in SNRI properties to Tramadol, so it could cover the SNRI withdrawals in theory??

This is all only short term until I can get my prescription refilled for tramadol.

Last edited:
Anyone know? I took my LAST Tramadol pill today. So I had no choice but to take the Subs....
Today I tried to cut up the Subs the best I could (8mg/2mg strips). So I cut the entire strip in half, then cut one of the halves in half again, then in half again. Then maybe I cut them one more time in half, I'm not sure.

Either way that means the sub dosage is roughly 0.5mg to 1mg. I took one today when the Tramadol withdrawal started to kick in hard, and it was an "odd feeling". I felt almost like I was getting *maybe* a small buzz, yet at the same I felt "weird" and a little confused like feeling. It's like my body TRIED to get a buzz, but there was zero endorphins, and zero dopamine, and no receptors left.... So it made me feel tired/weird a little. Also my withdrawals where basically all gone so far expect for the chills.

But yeah, the mood thing is not working out so great. I can't even smile... The lack of serotonin release and reuptake has me feeling very unhappy...... Maybe Effexor will help this?

1mg of sub a day should hold you. You are probably going to deal with SSRI type withdrawal too. You may want to talk to a doctor about a script for Prozac or Zoloft for ssri taper.

Those are some ridiculous doses. I just gave myself a grand mal seizure a week ago from taking 500mgs for 6 days straight during suboxone withdrawals. Of course etizolam w/d didn't help that I'm sure. That is a tough situation and I feel for you as I just came off 16mgs of sub a day and have a friend who basically gets their tramadol filled for me. I felt no buzz from 500mgs but it was enough to feel normal and get some sleep. If you decide to stay on subs just make sure the trams are unavailable when you come off of sub or you will likely cycle on for the other. I would suggest only staying on the sub for a week at most to get through the acute w/d but not long enough to get the month long sub w/d.

I am prescribed 18mg of Clonzepam daily, a very potent anti-seziure med. Also Clonzepams half-life being 30+ hours that means it's in my system 24/7.

I'm guessing that's why I can take very high dosages.

My highest dose of tram was 1200 mg at once, but I had a huge tolerance and after that 1200 mg did not work, I dosed up another 400 mg and ended up in hospital, being conscious but barely putting thoughts together in my head with very arythmic pulse. Got couple of IV infusions from salts and was released same day. I was also loaded with clonazepam to avoid seizures. I was young and stupid at that time...

Last edited:
I think for anxiety/sleep... I was put on it like 9 years ago so I forgot. It turns out it worked as the best muscle relaxer, ever, and my muscles are so stiff that they literally lock up/sezieze up preventing proper circulation, and the C1-C3 area is so stiff that it cuts off signals to my brain and causes laxk of oxygen to brain, foggy head, etc.... also extreme numbessness, and like 50 (FIFTY) other side effects.

It's unbelievable and I don't know what the f*** to do!! I have been to a upper cervical Chripractor and got 100+ adjustments, and while my curve of my neck got better I don't feel any better! Plus the Xrays show my neck is leaning sooo far to the side it's hardly holding on..... causing every nerve and muscle in my body to suffer. I have had 50+ "regular" chiropractor adjustments also. No help. Also psychical therapy, acupuncture, dry needling, and Had countless massages from multiple ones, even Really good 25+ year massage/doctor vet said my muscles are SO BAD they can't even be gotten into, without like a 4 hour session, and that would be too much and only scratch thr surface.... One chiropractor said it's SO BAD he's scared for my life. He said it even is affecting my chest area and my muscles are compressing over my heart, which could cause death.... explains why I feel like I have so much heart issues.....

HERE'S ONE EXAMPLE: if I get a deep tissue massage, around my shoulder blades area or so, I INSTANTLY cough like crazy and my lungs "open up". If I get really deep tissue on my neck, I can feel my sinuses suddenly opening up entirely!!! Stronger then Afrin nasal spray... buf sadly massage and chiropractor only last a couple hours before my bones and muscles goes back to their old ways =|

Any ideas? I already stretch the muscles, Used different pillows, but still nothing.... I feel like I wanna get a Botox injection in the back of my neck!!! Buf I bet that's very risky....