• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone and Pain Meds - Need Urgent Advice or direction

Smoothie123

Greenlighter
Hey all, sorry I marked urgent but I am in excruciating, mind numbing pain 24 hours a day. I can't sleep, I can barley eat, I can barley function. Not exaggerating. Hoping someone could share a similar situation and what they did.

I've been on 8mg/day Suboxone maintenance for a year. I have a script to 2mg dilaudeds. I am not looking to get high. I never want to go back to that nightmare. However. I desperately need some pain relief.

I stopped the Subs 36 hours ago with the plan of taking the dillies for pain. I'm feeling slight sub withdrawal - nothing crazy yet, but uncomfortable. Sweating, nauseous and other stomach problems, anxiety, etc.

Do you think I could take the dillies now for pain? Would they work yet for pain?

I've never taken dillies, mostly heroin and roxy's. How many 2mg dillies would you take if you were in my shoes. I imagine my tolerance is somewhat high with the 8mg/day subs, plus there's probably still some blocker left in my head.

Again, not wanting to get high, wanting relief.

Appreciate any input, especially from people who have been in a similar situation. Thanks so much.

The subs won't be out of your system yet, but the dillies will eliminate the WD. Unfortunately Dilauded is incredibly fast acting and has a small half-life and they won't keep the WD at bay for very long. It's hard to say how much dilaudid you should take, but unfortunately it doesn't absorb well when ingested properly. So my guess is you would have to take upwards of 12mg (if ingesting) to get any relief and it probably wont even curb the pain, just the WD. The only thing that works in your favor here is if you decide to go back to Subs after Dilaudid, you won't have to wait as long because of the short half life.

Edit: The Subs will be a while before they're gone from your system and your tolerance will probably be up. But 36 hours + is certainly enough time to start taking without worrying too much about Subs blocking anything IMO.
Edit#2 (Sorry): Just a note, I don't have experience in actual pain so I'm unclear as to how much you will need for that exactly. But what I do know is Suboxone and IVing Dilaudid for recreational use.

Last edited:
The analgesic effect stacks but so does respitory depression so you could kinda die, I dunno your tolerance.

I would look up the morphine exchange on both.

I never found suboxone much help to me. I would rather just detox than go on subs given that ultimatum.

Maybe talk to your doctor, one who doesn't rx dillies with subs.

Suboxone will in worst case scenario block the Dilaudid, not potentiate it. Just from personal experience, I've IV'd 24-30mg of Dilaudid while on 8mg Suboxone, which is something I would only have not done if I wasn't on Suboxone. I know this is harm-reduction site, and everyone reacts differently to everything but having been on Suboxone for a long time, and Dilaudid for a while at the same time too, I can pretty much guarantee you will be fine ingesting small amounts of Dilaudid.

It blocks the feeling not the respitory depression. Analgesia differs per person I suppose.

Do know this much, if you take subs and pain pills you will have migraines.

It blocks the feeling not the respitory depression. Analgesia differs per person I suppose.

Do know this much, if you take subs and pain pills you will have migraines.

Very true, this I have experienced :D And I have heard of the increased respiratory response but never noticed or experienced it myself. I just am doubtful that after having stopped Suboxone for 36+ hours that any respiratory depression from Subs at this point should be an issue. Could be wrong though.

Thanks for all your responses. Well, I talked to a friend of mine who's a nurse and she recommended trying 12mg tonight, so thats what I did. I snorted all of it over a couple hours. It actually helped A LOT with the pain. Pain is almost gone. For now.

In terms of a high....absoltey nothing, nada! That's ok, because I wanted the pain relief more. I did find it strange that it worked well for the pain but didn't get me high.

I don't seem to be having any respiratory issues and my last rail was about 30 mins ago.

Very true, this I have experienced :D And I have heard of the increased respiratory response but never noticed or experienced it myself. I just am doubtful that after having stopped Suboxone for 36+ hours that any respiratory depression from Subs at this point should be an issue. Could be wrong though.

I kinda have trouble feeling sorry for someone with an opiate and a maintenance rx. I would save the subs as back up but then again I haven't always made the best choices.