• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

sublocade

I'm at the 90 day mark since my last Sublocade shot - nothing all that new to report (which, frankly, is a GOOD thing!!!). Did another BUP screen - still positive, and I think I'll just hold off on continuing to screen for a bit (perhaps I'll check it once a month or so). I knew Sublocade had a long half-life - I just didn't realize exactly how long something like this would take to clear, until I started doing some "mental math" on the reported half-life of 47-60 days. There's no sense in my running weekly or even bi-weekly screenings at this point, with that long of a half life.

Assuming I had an 18yr old's metabolism (which I definitely do not!), allowing me the minimum half-life side of 47 days (along with the presumptive 4 to 5 half-lives required, before typical drugs clear), it would be 26 weeks at the earliest before I might expect a clean screening (which would put me somewhere around October 19th - damn, that's some long-acting stuff!!!!). In the meantime, I'm fairly confident that although my screenings are still positive, my BUP levels have likely dropped to a point where I would expect any significant withdrawal symptoms to be in full bloom by now - and that's just not happening. Obviously, I won't be 100% confident until a get that first negative screening - at the same time, there's no way I can continue to obsess over that possibility for another three months!!! I would totally breakdown at some point and find myself in place I don't want to be! :(

...so for now, I'll just continue with my periodic updates! Most noticeable symptom to date has been a generalized "lifting of the fog" (as I like to call it) - often times, it's coupled with emotional overload. It's not something you can quite put your finger on while using, but you can definitely notice it when you're clean. The world just seems more "colorized", the 'ole libido starts waking up - early signs for me include a renewed enjoyment of music, along with the potential for significant emotional responses to movies (like when I watched Hamilton the other day, for at least the fifth or sixth time - and out of nowhere started bawling almost uncontrollably!!). Unlike the physical symptoms of opioid withdrawal which genuinely SUCK in every way - this is always one of my more "purifying" experiences of getting clean, those times when I start realizing how much better sh*t is without opioids in my life!!! Don't get me wrong - in the moment it feels really embarrassing, but at the same time I'm 100% keenly aware that it's the first GOOD withdrawal symptom and it reassures me that I'm on the right path... :)

Shot #1 (300mg) - 2/24
Shot #2 (300mg) - 3/24
Shot #3 (100mg) - 4/20

WD (minor hot flash) - 6/17
WD (minor hot flash) - 6/25
WD (moderate hot flash - still very manageable) - 7/6
WD (emotions overload - f*cking Hamilton!!!) - 7/18

BUP Urine Screen (positive) - 7/8
BUP Urine Screen (positive) - 7/20

Most important: Still clean and still no cravings!!!!

hi...10 years of buprenorphine patch n now buvidal inj. 128mg/3 weeks
works like a dream...taking methylphenidat allmost daily and inj. carries that 3 weeks,3 days over that crashies down badly...

Nothing new to report, really - everything is still pretty much the same (which is a GOOD thing!!!). No new withdrawal symptoms. I'm 16 weeks post my last shot, so I figured it was a good time for another BUP screen. Unsurprisingly, still positive. My rough math says I'm 112 days after that second shot which (working off the "long" side of the 47-60day half-life) would put me just about through my second half-life - is that far enough along that if I were going to start having significant withdrawal, it would definitely be happening by now??

Assuming I have at least another two half-lifes to get through, before this stuff fully clears my system - is my lack of desire to use (and lack of any triggers) still due to the sublocade shots I had all those months ago? Or, have the levels likely gotten low enough that I've pretty much been on my own for awhile - but, since I'm in the right head-space and truly committed to my sobriety, the shots have had little to nothing to do with my ability to remain clean at this point??

Don't know if anyone has answers to any of these questions (or, if research has even managed to fully ferret out accurate answers, either!) - but it would satisfy my curiosity as I continue to learn more about how all of this works...

Shot #1 (300mg) - 2/24
Shot #2 (300mg) - 3/24
Shot #3 (100mg) - 4/20

BUP Urine Screen (positive) - 8/10

Definitely keep updating this as I’m super interested & maybe considering getting on sublocade, as I too have been on subutex (buprenorphine) on & off since I was 18 in 2010 but I’ve been on opiates in general since I was 14 so 2006 (prescription caused addiction) because at that age I when I took them I thought “who wouldn’t want to feel this good & happy all the time?” Lol. & In 2015 My subutex doctor died & I couldn’t find anything else so I started doing heroin which was about 6 years ago & then I started shooting up probably 4 years ago & then got back on my subutex & started shooting that. I’m now back on heroin, have been for about 2 years & wanting to be done with it but have found since I was shooting subutex subs just don’t work for me anymore, tabs or strips anyway. So I was looking into sublocade & it sounds pretty terrific & so your updates are so informative thank you so so much for writing everything down I super appreciate it.
<3Kristen

Definitely keep updating this as I’m super interested & maybe considering getting on sublocade, as I too have been on subutex (buprenorphine) on & off since I was 18 in 2010 but I’ve been on opiates in general since I was 14 so 2006 (prescription caused addiction) because at that age I when I took them I thought “who wouldn’t want to feel this good & happy all the time?” Lol. & In 2015 My subutex doctor died & I couldn’t find anything else so I started doing heroin which was about 6 years ago & then I started shooting up probably 4 years ago & then got back on my subutex & started shooting that. I’m now back on heroin, have been for about 2 years & wanting to be done with it but have found since I was shooting subutex subs just don’t work for me anymore, tabs or strips anyway. So I was looking into sublocade & it sounds pretty terrific & so your updates are so informative thank you so so much for writing everything down I super appreciate it.
<3Kristen

Yeah - I can absolutely relate to your struggle (in particular, the heroin angle of it). Before this treatment though, I had never actually been on any "partial agonist" type drug - for me, it's pretty much been all or nothing!! 😂

Not sure how much of that initial novel of mine you actually managed to read and get through (I know tend to get wordy, sometimes), but I can summarize my history as:

Legit Percocet (broken hand) -> unprescribed Percocet -> oxycodone -> any opioid pill I could find -> heroin -> rapid detox on to vivitrol -> back to pills -> FULL DIVE into heroin -> Sublocade

As of today (and I'll restate my stats at the end, as I've promised to continue doing), I'm still 100% free of opiates. And since I'm adding a new post, I figured it was a good enough time to do another Bup screen - 136 days after my last shot, and I'm still positive for Bup! As for my overall progress, beyond those first few horrifying days after my induction, I've felt very little in the way of physical withdrawal (some transient hot flashes from time to time, very minor and passing quickly) and in all honesty, I've had zero interest or urges to experiment or get high (which is the most critical aspect of all of this!!). With all of this said, I do want to go on the record and say that I'm not in any way, suggesting that Sublocade is the absolute cure to addiction! Not gonna get all preachy and throw out some NA slogan, either (It works when you work it!!!) - but like everything else in life (especially when it comes to opiate addiction), Sublocade is really just another tool in the arsenal.

In my opinion, it is an incredibly effective and helpful tool!!!! But it's one that still requires that you want to be free of the addiction - especially because that induction period can be troubling for some (in particular, those who are likely on high doses of fentanyl and will therefore have a delayed onset of withdrawal). In my case, I really wasn't given an opportunity to blow-up my induction - because they crammed me full of Bup and then stuck me with the Sublocade (all within a 4-5hr period), I honestly didn't have the chance to start talking myself into running for my dealer! If you go through the "prescribed" induction, then you need to be able to stick to those bups for about a week or so, before you get the shot - which, for some (and I would probably include myself in that group!) is all the opening that's needed to say, "F*ck this - I'm getting a few envelopes!!!".

If you're close to NYC (or, if there is a similar substance abuse research center near you, like the Columbia STARS program) and you definitely want to be done with this, I absolutely recommend getting involved with one of their studies (especially if you're like me and probably millions of other addicts out there - you simply don't have the capacity to shut down your life for 30 days or so and check yourself into a rehab facility!!). The studies nearly always involve researching methods to rapidly detox and limit the amount of time required for painful withdrawal, which I believe is key to being successful - the longer you are forced to suffer and the more discomfort you're put through, the more likely you are to fail and go right back to using, just so you can relieve the symptoms (and in most cases, may even start using MORE!!). Even that first study I was involved in a few years ago for the vivitrol - while I ultimately did fail and go back to using, I was clean for 4 months or so. The rapid detox they used in that study which led up to the shot, was probably the only reason I was able to even receive a vivitrol shot in the first place because I really don't know anybody that's able to go cold-turkey for a full week, as is required to get a vivitrol shot - and so the detox infusions they were performing on me, are what enabled that timeline to get shortened to three days and allowed my to get through it all.

Anyway - that's probably enough for now! LOL!!! Since you've had some successful experience in the past with Bup, this very well may be just the solution you need to be free!! With the once monthly shot, there's no opportunity to start screwing around with your doses or trying to trade them off for something else - the stuff is in you, and it simply maintains a constant level so that you're free to focus your mind on more important things... 🙂

Shot #1 (300mg) - 2/24
Shot #2 (300mg) - 3/24
Shot #3 (100mg) - 4/20

BUP Urine Screen (positive) - 9/4

Last edited:
...so, the other day I had probably one of the strongest withdrawal sensations to date. I'm assuming it's withdrawal because it certainly reminded me of previous experiences coming off opiates - but since I seem to be in this vast ocean of "unknown" all by myself (regarding potential Sublocade withdrawal timelines), I'm having to rely on my gut to tell me what's going on. This past Sunday night I had an almost overwhelming hot flash - it didn't come on slowly, at all. One minute I was watching a video on youtube, and the next, sweat was pouring off of me and I actually had to stand up and walk around for a bit because my anxiety was an immediate 11!! But just as fast as the hot flash came over me, it was totally gone within a few minutes - again, not a gradual fade, it stopped almost immediately. It felt like I had a 105 degree fever one minute, and then 3-5 minutes later, it was like nothing had ever happened!! And so, I plotted it to my calendar as a withdrawal effect (because if it wasn't, then maybe there's something else seriously wrong with me! :().

Anyway, to put this event into perspective and use as a reference point for tracking - my last shot was April 20th. Sunday would be approximate 21.5 weeks (or, 152 days) since that last 100mg dose. I'm pretty confident (without wasting another testing strip) that there's still Bup in my system - even today, while the spot from the first shot is finally gone (and the last one as the smaller dose, didn't really leave much of an impression in the first place), I can still feel a very slight bump where that second shot was placed! But it's obvious (again, based on my rough research of a 47-60 half-life and assuming I'm on that long side, 60 days) as I've now just crossed over the halfway mark of the third half-life, withdrawal effects are still a very real possibility... ugh. I still have approximately 90 days or so to go before I hit that 5th half-life (which is when I'm predicting is about the time I'll start seeing negative Bup screenings) and so, I can't help but be a little concerned.

I want to be clear though, because I definitely do not want to scare anybody away from Sublocade or influence anybody else's outcome - that as intense as that hot flash was, it was still incredibly manageable. Yes, it came on so suddenly that it scared the hell out of me and had me immediately pacing - but it was also over just as quickly! And had I not marked it on my calendar at the time it happened, I probably would have filed it away and forgotten all about it after a week or so. So, if this is the height of withdrawal effects, then I think I'm golden because I can definitely handle it - but if there's a chance things can escalate from here...

...frankly, I don't know how to end that last sentence. I can tell you where my head is at right now, and it's the same place it's been since February 24th - I'm clean, I'm committed, and there's been no desire at all to break my sobriety. But what I can't do is predict something I still don't fully understand and can't be prepared for. If I were to get hit with another hot flash like that last one, but it dragged on for 30-45 minutes, I honestly have no idea how I'd react. I want to believe I'm still in a good place and would just ride it out, but I really have no idea - so, I'll just keep coming back here. And I'll keep writing stuff out. And if things do go dark on me, hopefully my writings will inspire me to push through (because yes - while much of what I write about this experience is to educate and help others around here, it's also my own personal therapy to help me keep my thoughts focused!!).

I have a couple of other ideas I plan to journal about in the next few days or weeks - but I think I will end this post here for now, and leave it isolated as its own moment in time. No sense trying to build off this particular negative event...

Shot #1 (300mg) - 2/24
Shot #2 (300mg) - 3/24
Shot #3 (100mg) - 4/20

WD (MAJOR hot flash - still manageable) - 9/19

I've got good news and I've got bad news - which do you want to read about first? Tough!! It's my post, and I'll reveal the news in whatever order I choose... 😜

The bad news:
I managed to break a tooth a few days ago (a pretzel - always when you least expect it!!), and it was broken in such a way that it was barely salvageable. Thankfully, I didn't split the tooth right down to the root but enough had broken off that the 'ole "root canal + post + crown" was served up (my first root canal, ever - on a molar which I'm convinced, had 73 canals in it!). Because of the amount of trauma I had caused by breaking the thing (and the additional trauma caused by all of the work the dentist performed for several hours), I was prescribed (five) 5mg Percocet. In hindsight, I should have immediately told him flat-out - no opiates!! But I had been in so much pain before I even got to the dentist (and I was sincerely concerned about what pain might be waiting for me on the other side of that Novocaine shot wearing off), that I took the script and filled it on the way home - the intent was to only use it if I absolutely had to, and then within two days (when any residual pain should most likely have worn off) give any extra pills to my brother in-law (he's got chronic back issues and is forced to eat pain killers like they're M&Ms).

I know, I know - an addict with a script (even the ridiculously small one I was given) is a bright red flag screaming DANGER! And as much as I tried to convince myself that it really was the pain causing me the need to take a couple of those pills - in my heart, I'm fairly certain it was just me and my stupid brain that talked me into it!! Yes, the pain was definitely bad - but I do think it was tolerable and it could have been managed with some strong Ibuprofen, had I not been given that script. But I had the script - I had a few pills sitting in front of me - I was in pain - and so I decided to take two of them... ...and I actually did feel something!! This is coming from somebody whose tolerance (when doing oxy) was a minimum of eight to ten, 30mg oxys per day (and barely feeling anything from all of that) - and then, after having graduated to heroin, was easily at a brick a day (again, barely feeling anything even after cramming that much dope into me).

Do NOT get me wrong - it certainly wasn't anything like the very first time you discover opiates and that one 5mg tablet is enough to make you feel warm all over for hours!! But it was absolutely there, that familiar "hug" from an old friend reminding me that life doesn't have to be difficult - a few of these "magic pills" is all that's needed to soften reality, make the world tolerable, and allow that warm embrace to comfort ya. Ugh... 🤮

The good news:
Through this entire ordeal of trying to get and stay clean, I've done everything in my power to find something positive to take away from any negative experiences. I need positive reinforcement, if I'm going to remain on the right path!! So, the very next day, I made absolute certain to give those last three pills to my brother in-law as I swore I would - the speed in which I could envision myself falling right back down the rabbit hole, was just too damn real! I've already been through so much already - I honestly believe it would emotionally break me to pieces if I were to give it all up now!! Just the fact that I was able to hand those extra pills over - no questions asked and no regret in doing so, immediately made me feel better about the whole experience. Yes, I unfortunately managed to break my sobriety - but I didn't feel the need (or curiosity) to keep screwing around with those pills, to finish the script, to start convincing others (and myself) that the pain was still so bad that I absolutely needed more... You all know the routine!

Anyway - I don't think those two pills are going to set me back (physically) in my recovery. It was only the two pills and it's already been over a week since it all happened, so as far as I'm concerned it was a mere speed-bump. A reminder that I am still capable of screwing up, if I don't remain vigilant.

The better news:
The very next day after having taken those pills, I figured it might be a good idea to do a Bup screen - I wanted to see if I was officially "Bup free", and perhaps that's why a couple of 5mg tablets were enough to get me high... ...Nope!! I'm still throwing positive screens and yet, I know I was definitely feeling effects from those two Percocets. This can only mean that while I may still be positive, the Bup levels are extremely low - low enough to have allowed a small dosage of opiates to easily break-through... ...but also low enough that if I were going to have suffered significant withdrawal from the Bup, I'm pretty sure I would have had to have experienced it by now!!! Obviously, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but if there's a definite positive to take away from this near disaster, it's that I must be far enough along to have crossed over any real threat of a heavy Sublocade withdrawal... 🥰

Shot #1 (300mg) - 2/24
Shot #2 (300mg) - 3/24
Shot #3 (100mg) - 4/20

BUP Urine Screen (positive) - 9/28

Relapse (two 5mg Percocet) - 9/27 😭

Even after this slip-up, I feel I can still stand by this next statement - because while I may not be as "clean" as I once was, I'm still not seeking and definitely not looking to continue the experimentation. And so, I strongly believe this still applies to me:

I've got good news and I've got bad news - which do you want to read about first? Tough!! It's my post, and I'll reveal the news in whatever order I choose... 😜

The bad news:
I managed to break a tooth a few days ago (a pretzel - always when you least expect it!!), and it was broken in such a way that it was barely salvageable. Thankfully, I didn't split the tooth right down to the root but enough had broken off that the 'ole "root canal + post + crown" was served up (my first root canal, ever - on a molar which I'm convinced, had 73 canals in it!). Because of the amount of trauma I had caused by breaking the thing (and the additional trauma caused by all of the work the dentist performed for several hours), I was prescribed (five) 5mg Percocet. In hindsight, I should have immediately told him flat-out - no opiates!! But I had been in so much pain before I even got to the dentist (and I was sincerely concerned about what pain might be waiting for me on the other side of that Novocaine shot wearing off), that I took the script and filled it on the way home - the intent was to only use it if I absolutely had to, and then within two days (when any residual pain should most likely have worn off) give any extra pills to my brother in-law (he's got chronic back issues and is forced to eat pain killers like they're M&Ms).

I know, I know - an addict with a script (even the ridiculously small one I was given) is a bright red flag screaming DANGER! And as much as I tried to convince myself that it really was the pain causing me the need to take a couple of those pills - in my heart, I'm fairly certain it was just me and my stupid brain that talked me into it!! Yes, the pain was definitely bad - but I do think it was tolerable and it could have been managed with some strong Ibuprofen, had I not been given that script. But I had the script - I had a few pills sitting in front of me - I was in pain - and so I decided to take two of them... ...and I actually did feel something!! This is coming from somebody whose tolerance (when doing oxy) was a minimum of eight to ten, 30mg oxys per day (and barely feeling anything from all of that) - and then, after having graduated to heroin, was easily at a brick a day (again, barely feeling anything even after cramming that much dope into me).

Do NOT get me wrong - it certainly wasn't anything like the very first time you discover opiates and that one 5mg tablet is enough to make you feel warm all over for hours!! But it was absolutely there, that familiar "hug" from an old friend reminding me that life doesn't have to be difficult - a few of these "magic pills" is all that's needed to soften reality, make the world tolerable, and allow that warm embrace to comfort ya. Ugh... 🤮

The good news:
Through this entire ordeal of trying to get and stay clean, I've done everything in my power to find something positive to take away from any negative experiences. I need positive reinforcement, if I'm going to remain on the right path!! So, the very next day, I made absolute certain to give those last three pills to my brother in-law as I swore I would - the speed in which I could envision myself falling right back down the rabbit hole, was just too damn real! I've already been through so much already - I honestly believe it would emotionally break me to pieces if I were to give it all up now!! Just the fact that I was able to hand those extra pills over - no questions asked and no regret in doing so, immediately made me feel better about the whole experience. Yes, I unfortunately managed to break my sobriety - but I didn't feel the need (or curiosity) to keep screwing around with those pills, to finish the script, to start convincing others (and myself) that the pain was still so bad that I absolutely needed more... You all know the routine!

Anyway - I don't think those two pills are going to set me back (physically) in my recovery. It was only the two pills and it's already been over a week since it all happened, so as far as I'm concerned it was a mere speed-bump. A reminder that I am still capable of screwing up, if I don't remain vigilant.

The better news:
The very next day after having taken those pills, I figured it might be a good idea to do a Bup screen - I wanted to see if I was officially "Bup free", and perhaps that's why a couple of 5mg tablets were enough to get me high... ...Nope!! I'm still throwing positive screens and yet, I know I was definitely feeling effects from those two Percocets. This can only mean that while I may still be positive, the Bup levels are extremely low - low enough to have allowed a small dosage of opiates to easily break-through... ...but also low enough that if I were going to have suffered significant withdrawal from the Bup, I'm pretty sure I would have had to have experienced it by now!!! Obviously, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but if there's a definite positive to take away from this near disaster, it's that I must be far enough along to have crossed over any real threat of a heavy Sublocade withdrawal... 🥰

Shot #1 (300mg) - 2/24
Shot #2 (300mg) - 3/24
Shot #3 (100mg) - 4/20

BUP Urine Screen (positive) - 9/28

Relapse (two 5mg Percocet) - 9/27 😭

Even after this slip-up, I feel I can still stand by this next statement - because while I may not be as "clean" as I once was, I'm still not seeking and definitely not looking to continue the experimentation. And so, I strongly believe this still applies to me:
I’m SOO proud of you!! 👏🏼 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
You are doing GREAT 👍🏽
I appreciate the continued updates- gives me hope for the future.
I’ve had 6 shots and go back next week. I do not want another injection…. My bupe levels are over 1000. 😳😱🤯(liver buildup). Soo I definitely don’t NEED another injection regardless of what the doc says….
..he wants me on them for the rest of my life. Screw that.
I’ll be glad to see how I feel after this crap starts slowly leaving my system.

hi...i stayd on buvidal cause 160mg inj. came to finland....only better exp. on that 3 weeks still cause fifth inj.
and no need to change to sublocade...😉😉🎱
6 months and 1mg of subutex....

no. I'm on 32mg weekly. That's equal to the 128mg monthly injection. The 32mg one is the highest dose available for a weekly injection.
i was 9 months on 32mg and now 11 months first 128mg and when 160mg camed i switched on that cause 3 weeks max for 128mg....
KPO....🏹

Does anyone know of a way to force the sublocade injection out of the body any faster than it's normal absorption time? Want to fast track the withdrawal and get it over with as fast as possible

I
I was taking Sublocade for a period of time and found the experience to be truly miraculous!!! Do not get me wrong - the induction onto the shot was an absolute horror show for me (more on that in a bit!), but if there are people out there truly looking to kick opiates (and know in their hearts that they can't really be trusted to take a daily suboxone as it will likely lead to them messing around with dosage - selling pills - buying dope - etc.), the Sublocade shot may well be that "miracle drug" that gets you out of this mess once and for all!!!

A quickie "agonist vs. antagonist vs. partial agonist" lesson, for those who don't fully understand the chemistry of all of this stuff (I only recently learned it myself and will use the same visualizations that were explained to me, enabling me to finally wrap my head around it all - but if you already know all this stuff, feel free to skip ahead!!):
- opioids in general are like "keys" - and the opioid receptors in your head are like "locks"
- opioid agonists (oxycodone, heroin, fentanyl, etc.) are keys that seek out the locks, open them up, and allow the "joy joy" feelings to come flooding out!
- opioid antagonists (vivitrol, narcan, etc.) are keys that seek out the locks but do NOT open them - they just plant themselves in the keyhole, so that other keys (aka heroin) can't get in and unlock.
- opioid partial-agonists (suboxone, sublocade, etc.) - these are the "hybrid" guys - these keys seek out the locks, but only partially open them - they allow some "joy joy" to get out, but not a lot (just enough to keep an addict from getting sick or have cravings)

Obviously, I'm not a chemist and I don't pretend to be one! But I did always wonder what those terms meant and how it all worked - and this is the explanation that helped me finally make sense of it all! :)

Anyway - on to the actual point of this post!!!!

Background:
- heavy oxycodone user for 5 or 6 years - was easily at 6-10, 30mg 'blues' a day at one point
- eventually discovered (like all opiate pill heads eventually do) that heroin is WAY cheaper ($300/day for pills vs. $150/day for a brick of heroin, it's not even close - especially when I'm having to carry my wife on this stuff, too!!!)
- spent the next 3 years after dumping the pills, working up to a brick-a-day habit (I do want to point out I have NEVER injected - only snort - was always WAY too afraid of needles, thank God - but I had always convinced myself that snorting was "safer" against developing a physical dependence - how dumb!!!)
- had an "overdose" event with my wife a couple of years ago (we're double-trouble - whatever one of us gets into, the other isn't far behind!!)) - not to the point that I was hit with Narcan, but obviously looped enough that we were both taken to the hospital anyway
- our kids were in the house at the time (kids were 11 and 18yrs old, so we're not talking infants and toddlers - but irresponsible regardless, and we fully own that!!), which lead to DYFS entering our life (NEVER PLEASANT!!!!!)
- wife and I both entered a Vivitrol study being done at Columbia University (rapid detox in a four day inpatient setting, followed by three monthly Vivitrol shots)
- as I knew would happen - as soon as DYFS closed their case, I let my Vivitrol lapse and slowly found myself right back on heroin (and of course, my wife was soon behind me)
- after the 2020 lockdown (where I found myself doing more heroin than ever, if for no other reason than out of BOREDOM!), I knew we had to get off this for good (and this time it was MY choice - not something forced on me, as was the case with DYFS)
- found out that Columbia University was doing a new study - this time, it was for Sublocade
- the one really good thing about how this study was handled was, because of all the COVID restrictions still going on, the number of required "in office" visits were kept to a minimum - the vast majority of follow-up during the course of the study was done remotely. After my first shot I was sent home with urine cups and a BP machine, and was able to continue through the study with two remote meetings per week - WAY easier than having to drive into NYC!
- First shot was given to me on February 24th, 2021 - and I have been CLEAN EVER SINCE!!!!

About the study:
- for those who don't know (especially those outside the tri-state area), Columbia University has a specialized research department for dealing with substance abuse. The STARS (Substance Treatment and Research Service) program is truly an amazing group of people. Beyond just their experience and knowledge, they are EXTREMELY supportive of those trying to rid themselves of drugs - as a bonus, they will even PAY YOU as they help you get clean!! Don't get me wrong, you're NOT going to get rich off something like this ($50 for initial visit, $10 for each subsequent visit) - but it's definitely a helpful perk if you need to fund tolls/parking or public transportation.
- the target patients for this particular study, were those found to be using HPSOs (Highly Potent Synthetic Opioids) such as fentanyl (which we ALL know makes up most of the "heroin" we buy!) - and, of course, my urine screen confirmed
- the goal of the study that STARS had enrolled me in, was to shorten the "induction period" for getting the Sublocade shot. Normally, in order to get a Sublocade injection, the current prescribing directions require the patient to be stabilized for at least 7 days on 10-20mg of Suboxone. The study was looking to shorten that induction period to 3 days and give the Sublocade shot on day #4. Most active users will have an incredibly hard time managing a 7+ day induction period - this is the biggest hurdle to people getting on to the shot, and so it's the main reason for this study.

If you managed to read all of that and got this far, you are either really interested and/or curious about Sublocade (or STARS) and are looking to decide whether it's right for you, or you're a masochist and you enjoy reading a novel about another heroin users (painful) experience with kicking this junk!!!! ;)

So now, the interesting part - how did this all go down, did it work, how am I today, and what's my outlook for the future! And for me, I'm looking to other Sublocade users out there (especially those that stopped injections) to hear about their experience and perhaps answer some of my own questions about "life after Sublocade"...

** Prerequisite for beginning the trial - you MUST be in full withdrawal (and because of the involvement of HPSOs, the onset can be significantly delayed, as it was for me. This was VERY likely the cause of my upcoming nightmare!!). **

February 23rd (Day 0) - I went to the office to begin the trial - it had been approximate 12hrs since I last used, so I scored incredibly low on the COWS and was immediately sent home - nothing I could do, I just had to use up all of my stuff the night before because I couldn't bear the thought off any of it to be flushed - what an idiot!!!

February 24th (Day 1) - Went back to the office (36hrs since last use), but still scored extremely low on the COWS (think I was still only a 2 or 3). This was the fork in the road for me - I think the doctor was concerned that I was never going to come back a third time to the office (he was probably right!), and so he made the decision to go ahead with the induction anyway!! But something changed - the study I had been discussing with these people from the very beginning was the "3 day induction", followed by the shot on Day 4. Instead, they decided to induct me and give me the shot THAT SAME DAY!!!!!! So, let me warn any and all of you out there - I absolutely do NOT recommend this!!!!!! I don't care what the doctor has convinced you of or how desperate you are to get off this crap - DO NOT DO THIS!!! You will be miserable and you will absolutely regret it, and there is a really good chance your induction will fail altogether!! I was naive, I figured with my incredibly high tolerance (as though that was "helpful" somehow) that it wouldn't be a problem, and I was so wrong I'm still amazed I got through it all!!! This is how it all went down:
- Arrived at 1pm (late for my 10am appointment, as usual!) and they explained the "same day" process we were going to employ - I agreed and we started with a 2mg suboxone, no problem
- 2pm - I was given 6mg suboxone - still not so bad, feeling a bit anxious, is it the drugs or do I just need a cigarette? I dunno - but this is boring!!!
- 3pm - 8mg suboxone - ok, 10 minutes later the wheels start to come off - the Pink Floyd "my hands felt just like two balloons" line is running through my head - suddenly, I can barely walk!! During treatment, you are always free to come and go (to go outside and smoke or whatever) - and as badly as I needed a cigarette in that moment, I was 100% positive there was no way I could navigate the elevator, make it outside, and find my way back in!!! And I want to be very clear - this was NOT a "pleasant" high!!!!! It had an "out of body" feel to it, my anxiety was in overdrive, and it took every ounce of strength to not go running mad through the office and out into the street!!
- 4pm - the doctor comes in with my next (and final) 8mg suboxone - I am scared to death at this point of taking this!!! I am literally begging her to allow my wife to come in (patients in the clinic only - thank you again, f*cking COVID!!) and I'm deer in headlights, just looking for an opening so I can bolt!! But the nurse is patient (yet persistent) and she convinces me that the reason I'm feeling this way is because the suboxone is having to forcefully kick the fentanyl off my receptors and that once I take this last dose (which will put me at a total of 24mg suboxone over the course of 4hrs), I will start to feel better. I succumb and take the last 8mg... ...and I did NOT feel any better - I felt WORSE, if that was possible!!!! I finally had to resort to lying on this filthy carpet and simply try to visualize my breathing - it was the only way to keep a mental hold on myself. I honestly thought I was going to lose my mind any moment, so just listening to myself breath was all I could do to keep myself calm. I tried calling my wife a couple of time because I was ready to have her force her way into the clinic and drag me out of she had to - but in the back of my mind (even while going through this hell) I knew if I left I would never come back, and that the very next day I would be back in the slums looking to score another fix. So I just kept my head down, kept listening to my breathing, and tried to "ride" the anxiety out.
- 5pm - time has to have stopped - it's only been an hour?!?!?!? The doctor is back and she tells me they're ready to give me the shot - I don't know how to react. I'm totally unsteady on my feet, my head is swimming and I feel like I'm looking down on myself from about 10ft above, and I'm insanely anxious - and now they want to shoot even MORE of this sh*t into me????? Again - she sees the panic in my eyes and assures me (again) that if I get the shot, I will definitely start to feel better. And like a desperate moron, once again I believe her - I relent and allow them to walk me to the table so I can lie down and get the shot... ...first thing I want to point out about this shot (for those who don't know) - this f*cker hurts!!!! By itself, this shot absolutely hurts by any definition (it takes about 10 seconds to fully administer the dose, but it feels like an eternity - and it's not the needle that hurts, it's the wave of a hundred bees stinging you over and over again in the same exact spot, that hurts! Thankfully, it does subside in about 5 minutes or so - but that initial pain will definitely take your breath away!) - but because every nerve in my body is now acutely aware of every single molecule in the air, this shot was torture of the highest order!!!!! The first two monthly shots you'll normally receive are 300mg, with monthly maintenance doses of 100mg - and there is definitely a difference in pain between those two doses (the 100mg still hurts, but only for a few seconds and certainly nothing even close to the 300mg dose).
- 6pm - after monitoring me for an hour, they're ready to let me leave. At this point, I don't feel any worse - but I also don't feel any better, and I have no idea whether I'm going to be able to make it outside where my wife is waiting to take me home! I still don't know the reason for changing the induction the way they did and perhaps if I had gone another day or two without using and been in "full" withdrawal, it wouldn't have been like this but there is no way I can recommend this process to anyone - until they find a more "gentle" way to rapidly induct people, stick with the 3-7 day induction!! I still wonder what would have happened if I had decided to drive myself in that day or took the transit in because when I left that office there was NO WAY I could have driven a car, and I'm pretty positive I would have spent at least the night wandering around the Port Authority, lost and trying to figure out which bus to take home!

February 25th (Day 2) - From the moment I got home after getting the shot, I began to feel as though I was in the worst withdrawal I have ever experienced. Imagine having every typical withdrawal symptom (goose flesh, hot flashes, restlessness, etc.) - all registering a 10, all at the same time!!! All I could do was lie in bed, while my wife continued to pump me full of Xanax. I stayed in bed the entire day (and night) - couldn't get warm (but was sweating like crazy), couldn't lay down (but couldn't stand up) - utterly miserable... ...but then, just as suddenly as the misery had come on - it lifted!!! 48hrs after having received the shot, I started feeling much better! And by the end of that weekend (about 4 days after) - I was free! No withdrawal, no suboxone effects, and most importantly, no desire or craving for opiates - like a switch being turned off, I was suddenly released from opiate hell!!!

That is my Sublocade induction story - the TLDR; version is: I had a serious, long-term opiate addiction - I wanted to get off, so I decided to try Sublocade. Getting myself onto the drug was an awful experience, but the results speak for themselves as I'm still free from opiates with a positive view of the future!!!

Which brings me to why I decided to finally register here (after lurking for so many years), and that is my concern for the "What happens next?" question! The STARS study is (as their name implies), just a "study". And while they will do everything in their power to hook you up with post-study practitioners or therapists or whatever else you might need - their work is officially done after Week #12 and you're on your own. I had shot #3 (the 100mg shot) on April 20th, and since my last call with them about a month ago I've been coasting. They gave me 30 suboxone pills (they tell you that if you don't plan to continue receiving the shot, you should start taking the pills about 28 days after shot #3 and make sure to find a practitioner who can give you a formal script to continue with the pills), but I haven't taken a single one - and frankly, I just want to be done with ALL of it!!! I don't want to trade heroin for another drug, I just want to get it all out of my system - period. Of course, I'm in uncharted water here as I have no idea whether the Sublocade is still coursing through my system and that's why I'm still fine? Or, because of the super-extended release, there is a natural slow taper so withdrawal is barely even noticeable? I do know I've completely cut ties with my dealer - he had reached out to me a few times back in March and I didn't even respond to his texts. I also believe that by simply having broken the cycle of having every simple withdrawal symptom triggering the immediate response of jumping in my car, hitting the ATM, and scoring my next fix - just having the 4-5 months of not going through that repetitive cycle, has hopefully gotten me to a "safer" place... ...but I do still worry, I won't lie!!! We all know that voice in our head - that one that constantly manages to convince us to do things we KNOW will lead to problems!! And that voice is still muted at the moment - no "curiosity" or "experimenting" to "see how it feels now" - none of that... ...yet. But what if?!?!?!?

If you've been on Sublocade and managed to get off of it or if you're still on it today, I'd love to hear from you! Was my induction abnormal? Did you go through something similar? If/when you stopped, did you go into withdrawal and how long did it last? And critically important - are you still clean????
read your Columbia university deal w sublocade and the other reviews here and I’m slightly annoyed at some people saying they wish subs were outlawed and also fascinated with the different kinds of mixed reviews and story telling . I’m actually here to say I am an advocate for anything derived from opium. Subs. Morph. H. But only advocate of safe use. Which is smoking! But I’m different I grew up an athlete so I don’t think I’ve ever felt precipitated withdrawal. Plus I can’t make a gram or half gram of balck tar last two days. Anytime I have taken balck tar H or fent I just did a sub the same day with no consequences , so yeah there’s me … hey y’all

(6’3 160-170lbs) former high level athlete post car wreck injury three years into my pain relief experimentation and going!

Does anyone know of a way to force the sublocade injection out of the body any faster than it's normal absorption time? Want to fast track the withdrawal and get it over with as fast as possible
How is it making you withdraw if it’s a drug to stop withdrawal? Faster way, play full court basketball, or walk around the block. Pace. Sing your heart out. Go to the ER and tell them you’re in crazy pain and slightly hint at IM KETOLORAC and IMuscular Torradol. Tizanidine is good to have too. But i would say man I’m a athletes since I was like 3 years old so I’m built doffent and my withdrawal phases work differently . H withdrawal not bad sub tapering is great eat dots of it if ya can , no existing precip withdrawal I got when mixing but will see a the new fent crap…. I had wicked withdrawal from
Fent for a couple solid 48 hrs but yeah I went to the ER and things starts to look up