• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Subjective Effects of Various LSD dosages?

Deus

Greenlighter
I've taken lsd many, many times, but it's always just "Here's a blotter" or "here's some candy" and I've never been given a dosage with it, so I have no idea at what levels which effects happen. I can definitely tell how strong a dose is comparatively after taking it, but I can only guess as to the doses. So for those of you lucky enough to get this beautiful molecule with dosage information, what are the thresholds? I know it varies from person to person, but I'm just curious. For example, at about what doses do these landmarks occur? The easiest and most objective way I can think of classifying it is with visuals during the peak:
- Threshold is 20-30 mics that's an easy one to find. I assume that this is where there is a little bit of the trip energy and brightening of colors
- First level visuals- the vague sense that things are shifting or warping
- Second level visuals - ie patterns, faces, etc. I find on lower doses I may get these kind of visuals, but they don't move or crawl like 3rd level visuals do.
- Third level visuals - full fractals and patterns moving across real objects
- Fourth level visuals - distortion of reality- significant warping/bending of objects that exist, not just background. I'm putting these as pretty much the highest level of visuals that a non-super-heroic dose can achieve, so these include other crazy visual that don't quite belong to the other categories, but were part of intense psychedelic experiences.

I found a shroomery thread about it (we can't link offsite here, right?) but the descriptions were pretty vague and often compared to mushroom dosages which can vary in potency.
hey, hey! I found a shroomery page with trip levels remarkably similar to what I just wrote up:

Shroomery said:
Level 1

This level produces a mild "stoning" effect, with some visual enhancement (i.e. brighter colours, etc). Some short term memory anomalies. Left/right brain communication changes causing music to sound "wider".

Level 2

Bright colors, and visuals (i.e. things start to move and breathe), some 2 dimensional patterns become apparent upon shutting eyes. Confused or reminiscent thoughts. Change of short term memory leads to continual distractive thought patterns. Vast increase in creativity becomes apparent as the natural brain filter is bypassed.

Level 3

Very obvious visuals, everything looking curved and/or warped patterns and kaleidoscopes seen on walls, faces etc. Some mild hallucinations such as rivers flowing in wood grained or "mother of pearl" surfaces. Closed eye hallucinations become 3 dimensional. There is some confusion of the senses (i.e. seeing sounds as colors, etcetera). Time distortions and "moments of eternity".

Level 4

Strong hallucinations, i.e. objects morphing into other objects. Destruction or multiple splitting of the ego. (Things start talking toyou, or you find that you are feeling contradictory things simultaneously). Some loss of reality. Time becomes meaningless. Out ofbody experiences and e.s.p. type phenomena. Blending of the senses.

Level 5

Total loss of visual connection with reality. The senses cease to function in the normal way. Total loss of ego. Merging with space, other objects, or the universe. The loss of reality becomes so severe that it defies explanation. The earlier levels are relatively easy to explain in terms of measureable changes in perception and thought patterns. This level is different in that the actual universe within which things are normally perceived, ceases to exist! Satorienlightenment (and other such labels).

Last edited:
Justice Fish said:
20 mics- threshold, and some people see visuals, some dont. I personally do very easily.

30 mics- threshold, same

40 mics- obviously tripping a little bit but again, some people wouldnt see visuals.

60 mics- = The typical low quality blotter. Tripping, but in my opinion nothing like even one gram of shrooms. It makes for a good time though. Lasts longer than a gram of shrooms.

90 mics- This is where it starts getting weird, because it is most certainly more intense for some people than a gram of mushrooms.

110 mics- like a gram and a half of mushrooms. A hit of some really good lsd.

150 mics-For alot of people this is quite amazing and intense. Obvious and interesting for anyone who is not a vegetable.
----------------------------------------------------------------
(incraments I mention will stay the same but the effects of upping it 50 mics becomes more intense than above the line.

200 mics- equal to about an 8th of mushrooms, (or more for some people).

250 mics- scares the living daylights out of some people, yet some people handle it really well, much like an 8th of mushrooms. This is the dose at which I have witnessed someone become very confused. He could "see" but he didnt know where he was(in his best friends driveway). When the comedown started, he was fine, and he became a rockstar. It was one of the best experiences of his life. (thats what I get for tripping with people around for the first time in a long while) Me and one friend had to talk this guy down for about a half hour.

300 mics- your getting into heavy territory. Still not considered by most to be a heavy dose, but thats only because they know where most people including themselves draw the line if they are experienced. Its alot like 250 mics though.

400 mics- most people would never take this much unless they knew the acid they have in their possesion and really wanted to get pretty far out there.
This is why you dont see 200+ mic hits around.

500 mics- pretty much where even some of the most experienced people draw the line. Your vision is almost completely enveloped by fractal patterns, and if you were to stare at some pavement or something, it looks like you can see to the end of eternity. Miles and miles of visual depth.

700 mics- most people who talk of taking a ten strip usually dont have very potent acid(though it is good), so 550 to 700 is where they end up. This is also where "more acid" becomes less important because the effects are very similar to an even higher dose.

1000 mics- Most people will never go there. If you had a "two hits and you are floored" type of lsd, or 100 mics and up hits, this is where a ten strip would put you. You basically cant see anything but visuals, your mind as a whole is infinately connected with its self and your external environment. Amazing things happen on this dose no matter what. It would scare most people shitless. Some people will think they are dieing. Many would end up dialing 911 if they were alone and could read the numbers on the phone.

1500 mics- is almost exactly like 1700 mics. 1700 mics being the most I have ever done. Very few people have used this much lsd.
It is VERY psychologically dangerous for some people to do this. You can no longer really see your own hand in front of your face. Your cognition and vision are both bathed in the same light. Some people forget to breath frequently, and id imagine alot of people would pass out. You will loose your ego, but you will meet many organizers of human cognition in this egoless place. They are much smarter than human beings. "they" *are self conscious neurology.
They are the mathematicians behind consciousness and even the visuals themselves.
A dose 700 mics and above will show anyone some very profound things. Doses like 500 mics and above have changed many lives in both positive and negative ways. Still, it is no more threatening than mushrooms. So dont get me wrong.

Will I ever take 1000+ mics again? Hell no....But I wouldnt give up those ridiculously heavy experiences for anything.

How reliable this is, who can say. But I share your frustration with never knowing the exact dose. It's always "above average" or "average" or "below average" paper. I'm an analyst at heart, damnit, I need specific numbers and predictable effects! I'm fairly sure the blotters I've taken before, which all came from the same sheet, were about 80 - 110mics based on the effects profile above.

Someone on Bluelight suggested that LSD has a saturation point of 600mics, beyond which it doesn't actually get stronger. I am skeptical, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the brain has a cut-off point and trippers who've done 1mg+ simply THINK it was stronger because they expected it to be. But maybe that's because I can't imagine anything stronger than 600mics.

Yeah, that's the post I found on the shroomery. A lot of those descriptions are really subjective and vague. What one person can handle, another person might not be able to.

Deus - I recently tripped 3 times almost 3 weeks ago....I had 3 trips itself, the first one was quite an emotional experience and i would say it was a 2nd level. My 2nd trip was 9 hours after ingestion and a level 3 trip was achieved. 2 days later for the 4rd trip (actually 47 1/2 hours after 2nd trip) I would say i reached a level 4 trip due to Gravity bongs/buckets of some potent hydroponic Cannabis. I honestly would like to gauge the strength of the tabs i had. I do not regret any 3 trips as i learnt so much from each experience and feel a changed person for the better. I also would love if more access to testing was available in my country like the Netherlands so i could gauge the ug level also.

Great post Flickering....according to your quote from Justice Fish i would rate what i had between 150 mics around 250 mics. I am not accurate and only say this from my 3 experiences with this chemicals. They were printed on both sides also which is something not so common from reading bluelight threads in Australia

Last edited:
Being pretty scientifically minded, I've always wanted exact measurements. That's one reason I like RC's- I almost always get exact doses in the amounts I ask for (30mg 2ci is a lot btw haha). Hell, I'd like to be able to get my hands on doses of 'cid that I know the amount. Then I'd just, over the course of a few months, steadily increase my dose so see where the benchmarks lie. It'd take a lot of work and trips, but I'll somehow soldier on =D

Yeah, 4th level is crazy- really neat visuals, usually accompanied by ego death. I would say that right in between 3rd and 4th level visuals is where ego death occurs.
Of the higher doses I've taken, my strongest was over 24hrs 8(. There was a misunderstanding, and I took 21 8o "bunk/extremely weak" doses... which turned out to be about just sub-average strength. I somehow managed to sleep for a bit and I woke up 24hours after taking it and still had lvl 2 visuals.
The CEVS were insane though! I listened to music and and had AMAZING CEVS and lost myself. Also, the songs I HEARD were drastically different than the songs I actually put on.
Haha.. also it was Halloween so it got really surreal at night!

I've gone over 1mg several times, with 5mg being the most. The effects are different at higher doses (obviously), much more confusion, physical weirdness (breathing is somewhat difficult, sweating, some nausea, huge ataxia) chaotic hallucinations, apparent blindness, complete obvlivion to surroundings, etc. On 5000ug, the effects began very quickly, within 15 minutes, escalated wildly, and by about 1 hour, I was pretty much completely incapacitated. It shared some aspects of ketamine or salvia or DMT, in that normal surroundings (my house at this point) had vanished. I couldn't say where I was to be honest...I've observed friends on similar doses, and several higher, and it is a bit disturbing; the energetic, stimulating part of LSD is still present, but with a ketamine like confusion, almost drunk and chaotic behaviour, moments of what appeared to be transient extreme paranoia and terror, but without any real basis and unfathomable to anyone except the tripper. Pupil dilation giving the appearance of an almost inhuman franticness. I would be quite worried if a person on such a dose became violent or manifestly psychotic, but the ataxia leads to a tendency to lie down.

Definitely interesting, defintitely something I will never ever repeat. :)

I met a source who claims to know their shit, and even a few people who print them apparently. Last couple of times I bought off them they always had different kinds and always at different mics.
They've sold me tabs and said they were 180, 150 and 120. Also had some 110 that I didn't bother buying. Tried the 180's and the 120's. 120's were fucking awesome, 180's blew my head out the back of itself somehow.

I don't know if they're really telling the truth, although they seem to really know their shit and has sold me two of the top three batches I've had to date (The 120 and 180). The only thing that beat it was some random liqqy I had once that was just like WHAAAAT, (Every tree I looked at was some uncomprehendingly elaborate piece of art, or a collection of either friendly or scary creatures, usually worms or insect creatures, the scary ones attacked my face... from one drop) anyway like I said I can't be sure if he's telling the truth but the difference between the 120 and 180 is exactly what I would expect 60ugs to be, given my experience with average tabs.

I will base my ug estimates on these numbers, even if they're not correct, putting a number to a tab and comparing them accordingly I reckon I'd be able to call a number that was relative to whatever dose I was working from.

So for example if I compared a tab to the 180 one, and decided it was roughly 50mics weaker, even if the first tab was only 150 but supposed to be 180, I would still be able to conclude the same difference between the two, meaning it doesn't matter that the first measurement wasn't accurate. But hey I'm sure you all know how algebra works :p

I will also mention that the 150's were the new batch of felixes, and they're a bit stronger than the cherubs estimated at about 110, 120, so I think this person has got their dosages pretty close.

Last edited:
5mg is pretty close to the lethal dose. I don't understand why anyone would take that much. If nothing else, you could have had 20 to 50 trips out of that much, why pack it into just one?

5mg is pretty close to the lethal dose. I don't understand why anyone would take that much. If nothing else, you could have had 20 to 50 trips out of that much, why pack it into just one?

Excuse me? Erowid's published LD50 for LSD is 12,000 ug (i.e., 12mg, not 5mg), and even that is just an estimate. http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_death.shtml
Do you have an alternative source? If so then please share it. If not then please refrain from posting things on a public forum unless you know what the hell you are talking about!

I met a source who claims to know their shit, and even a few people who print them apparently. Last couple of times I bought off them they always had different kinds and always at different mics.
They've sold me tabs and said they were 180, 150 and 120. Also had some 110 that I didn't bother buying. Tried the 180's and the 120's. 120's were fucking awesome, 180's blew my head out the back of itself somehow.

I don't know if they're really telling the truth, although they seem to really know their shit and has sold me two of the top three batches I've had to date (The 120 and 180). The only thing that beat it was some random liqqy I had once that was just like WHAAAAT, (Every tree I looked at was some uncomprehendingly elaborate piece of art, or a collection of either friendly or scary creatures, usually worms or insect creatures, the scary ones attacked my face... from one drop) anyway like I said I can't be sure if he's telling the truth but the difference between the 120 and 180 is exactly what I would expect 60ugs to be, given my experience with average tabs.

I will base my ug estimates on these numbers, even if they're not correct, putting a number to a tab and comparing them accordingly I reckon I'd be able to call a number that was relative to whatever dose I was working from.

So for example if I compared a tab to the 180 one, and decided it was roughly 50mics weaker, even if the first tab was only 150 but supposed to be 180, I would still be able to conclude the same difference between the two, meaning it doesn't matter that the first measurement wasn't accurate. But hey I'm sure you all know how algebra works :p

I will also mention that the 150's were the new batch of felixes, and they're a bit stronger than the cherubs estimated at about 110, 120, so I think this person has got their dosages pretty close.

Exactly. This is what I would like to be able to do- take a dose and then give a rough estimate of it's dosage. But for that, I'd need baseline reference dosages which no one seems to have :(
Do you think you could match up your experiences roughly to the scale above?

Excuse me? Erowid's published LD50 for LSD is 12,000 ug (i.e., 12mg, not 5mg), and even that is just an estimate. http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_death.shtml
Do you have an alternative source? If so then please share it. If not then please refrain from posting things on a public forum unless you know what the hell you are talking about!

I'd consider 'halfway there' to be pretty close, especially when the blotter strength itself will almost always be an estimate, as we've discussed in this thread. And yes, I was aware that the high danger point was around 10-12mg.

MMmmmm I have had 2 hits of good blotters probably about 150 each and had total halucination where everything was not as it seemed , fractals , paterns melting walls etc - you guys never heard of the thumb test, when the Grateful Dead were the main link in acid distribution in the usa? look it up very 'out there'

Last edited:
How reliable this is, who can say. But I share your frustration with never knowing the exact dose. It's always "above average" or "average" or "below average" paper. I'm an analyst at heart, damnit, I need specific numbers and predictable effects! I'm fairly sure the blotters I've taken before, which all came from the same sheet, were about 80 - 110mics based on the effects profile above.

Someone on Bluelight suggested that LSD has a saturation point of 600mics, beyond which it doesn't actually get stronger. I am skeptical, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the brain has a cut-off point and trippers who've done 1mg+ simply THINK it was stronger because they expected it to be. But maybe that's because I can't imagine anything stronger than 600mics.

I'd say that the chart you posted is rather accurate but drugs effect everyone differently.

Wasn't there an LSD dose-response chart (with general descriptions of effects for each dose) somewhere here or on Erowid? Been looking in vain for it.

a good dose of PROPER LSD can have any effect. There is no linear dose and effect curve. IMO

Wasn't there an LSD dose-response chart (with general descriptions of effects for each dose) somewhere here or on Erowid? Been looking in vain for it.

Is this it? http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtml

Someone posted this here on bluelight recently.

It does relay depend on set and setting and the person

Level 1 (1/3 Tab - 75ug)

This level produces a mild "stoning" effect, with some visual enhancement (i.e. brighter colours, etcetera). Some short term memory anomalies. Left/right brain communication changes causing music to sound "wider".

Level 2 (1/2 Tab, ~112ug)

Bright colors, and visuals (i.e. things start to move and breathe), some 2 dimensional patterns become apparent upon shutting eyes. Confused or reminiscent thoughts. Change of short term memory leads to continual distractive thought patterns. Vast increase in creativity becomes apparent as the natural brain filter is bypassed.

Level 3 (1 Tabs, 225ug)

Very obvious visuals, everything looking curved and/or warped patterns and kaleidoscopes seen on walls, faces etc. Some mild hallucinations such as rivers flowing in wood grained or "mother of pearl" surfaces. Closed eye hallucinations become 3 dimensional. There is some confusion of the senses (i.e. seeing sounds as colors, etcetera). Time distortions and "moments of eternity".

Level 4 (1.5 Tabs, ~350ug)

Strong hallucinations, i.e. objects morphing into other objects. Destruction or multiple splitting of the ego. (Things start talking to you, or you find that you are feeling contradictory things simultaneously). Some loss of reality. Time becomes meaningless. Out of body experiences and e.s.p. type phenomena. Blending of the senses.

Level 5 (3+ Tabs, 450ug+)

Total loss of visual connection with reality. The senses cease to function in the normal way. Total loss of ego. Merging with space, other objects, or the universe. The loss of reality becomes so severe that it defies explanation. The earlier levels are relatively easy to explain in terms of measureable changes in perception and thought patterns. This level is different in that the actual universe within which things are normally perceived, ceases to exist! Satori enlightenment (and other such labels).

Enjoy responsibly. Trips are often hugely impacted by the type of environment you are in and the mindset you enter the trip with. Just remember, it's all a ride and don't take any crazy thoughts you have too seriously, enjoy the ride.... you may just find your eternal self.

Last edited: