• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stupid question: Taking my meds I dropped on the floor

ScoobySnax30

Greenlighter
I’m a germaphobe and i'm being really cautious during the pandemic.

Over the last couple of months I’ve dropped a few of my meds on the floor of the car or the floor in my house. I Put the meds I dropped in a plastic ziploc bag because I’m not sure what to do.

are these safe to take? I assume so but since I’m a bit of a germaphobe I can’t bring myself to do it.

sorry if this is a dumb question. I guess I’m looking for reassurance. Should I just take them? Clean them quickly with soap and water then take?
Thanks

Last edited:
Seriously, I can't believe it's not OK to take them at this point. However, being a self-proclaimed germaphobe, you certainly have the right to throw them in the trash too. Totally your call. I will just mention that I, being a self-proclaimed druggie (LOL, in reality I wouldn't go that far), I would take the meds without a third thought. However, I would give it a second thought, I mean I don't have a freaking death wish here!

You have an immune system for a reason. Probably there are more (and nastier) bacteria resident on your skin than a typical household floor though..

I do want to take them but in my mind I’m still concerned because of the Covid thing. Before covid I would have taken them with no problem.
my biggest concern is the ones I dropped on the floor of my car.
I may try the damp napkin of alcohol for peace of mind.

Over the last couple of months I’ve dropped a few of my meds on the floor of the car or the floor in my house. I Put the meds I dropped in a plastic ziploc bag because I’m not sure what to do.

are these safe to take? I assume so but since I’m a bit of a germaphobe I can’t bring myself to do it.

sorry if this is a dumb question. I guess I’m looking for reassurance. Should I just take them? Clean them quickly with soap and water then take?
Thanks

Don't clean them, just take 'em. I have an essential tremor in my hands and drop my meds all the time. I just take them and have always been totally fine. I have a compromised immune system, too, so if you could get sick from doing that believe me I would have been.

Honestly, you're fine. If you're really worried give them a quick once-over with an alcohol wipe.

Thanks
I don't think the meds will have picked up germs, if they are light sentive or moisture sensitive though they may degrade. IF the floor is dirty you could always "wash" them with a damp tissue to put your mind at rest.

as I understand things COVID can only live for around a week tops, on favorable wet surfaces. So if you can't afford to throw them out but want to ensure they are sterile, dry them gently with a paper towel & store them in a Ziploc, marked Do Not Open Until: (7 days from the current date whan you bag them). Store them in a warm dry place, and then they should be safe to consume after the 7th day.

This is based upon a protocol for emergency reuse of N95 filter masks in emergency settings: every mask is used for one day, then bagged up and stored for a week with no contact.

Are these pills and/or capsules that were not in a blister pack? Have the drugs had direct contact with your car/house floor?

Just rinse under the tap briefly and take them. Your stomach is very good at killing nasties.

As Sekio said, your hands have far worse bacteria on them than the average floor.

Tip: if you're a germaphobe, NEVER masturbate or have sex. You wouldn't believe the numbers of faecal coliforms that reside on the genitals... ;)

Last edited:
Surely you have hand sanitizer? Squirt some in your hands and then add the pills give them a quick rub/rinse then rinse them with water quickly and take them. You'll be fine

Are these pills and/or capsules that were not in a blister pack? Have the drugs had direct contact with your car/house floor?

Just rinse under the tap briefly and take them. Your stomach is very good at killing nasties.

As Sekio said, your hands have far worse bacteria on them than the average floor.

Tip: if you're a germaphobe, NEVER masturbate or have sex. You wouldn't believe the numbers of faecal coliforms that reside on the genitals... ;)

Don’t tell me that!! Haha

The meds are 30mg oxycodone pills. They are prescribed so they come in a bottle from the pharmacy.

I dropped about 5-6-7 of them over the last few months. They did fall on the floor in my car and the floor in my bedroom. The bedroom isn’t as concerning to me as the car is. They were never on the floor for more then 10 seconds.
I have always been extra clean and a slight Germaphobe but this Covid stuff has made it worse. I’d like to do something that would give me peace of mind before I take them.

thanks

Surely you have hand sanitizer? Squirt some in your hands and then add the pills give them a quick rub/rinse then rinse them with water quickly and take them. You'll be fine

thank you! I may try this.
In the past I’ve washed them slightly with A soap and water Mixture in The palm of my hand. Like I said in my previous post. I’m a bit more concerned now.

thank you! I may try this.
In the past I’ve washed them slightly with A soap and water Mixture in The palm of my hand. Like I said in my previous post. I’m a bit more concerned now.

If you trust it to kill germs on your hands surely you can trust it to kill germs on your pills. Just make sure to rinse the sanitizer off with water quickly before you put them in your mouth. That stuff tastes like shit lol.
Also as mentioned above, covid can only live on certain surfaces for a certain amount of days, I think plastics are 2 days and metals are 3 days.
So I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if you wash them 👍

Just take them. Nothing will happen.

I've taken lots of pills I've dropped.