Study: Want more Ecdysteroids? Carb up with Quinoa...

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Ecdysteroids (also known as phytoecdysteroids) have been promoted for many years for their health-promoting benefits, from increased muscle mass, improved skin and reduced bodyfat, to stronger bones and rejuvenated joints.

Most supplements, however, contain a fairly limited number of ecdysteroids (usually just 20-hydroxyecdysone), and they're often quite expensive to buy.

What many don't realise is that a very easy way to get a broad range of ecdysteroids into their diet is to replace a few portions of other carbs such as rice or pasta with quinoa. Just 50g of natural quinoa contains up to as much as 20mg ecdysteroids.

Unfortunately the original study isn't free, but it can be found here. However for a decent summary, check out the magazine article at ergo-log here.

Intredasting... I actually thought this was a spam thread until I saw you created it CFC :p

I used to eat quinoa all the time, now it gives me the shits. Besides, it's so low in calories. I'm hungry like an hour later.

Interesting about the steroid content though.

Study linked from Wikipedia page on 20-hydroxyecdysone:

http://www.jissn.com/content/3/2/19

Purpose
Methoxyisoflavone (M), 20-hydroxyecdysone (E), and sulfo-polysaccharide (CSP3) have been marketed to athletes as dietary supplements that can increase strength and muscle mass during resistance-training. However, little is known about their potential ergogenic value. The purpose of this study was to determine whether these supplements affect training adaptations and/or markers of muscle anabolism/catabolism in resistance-trained athletes.

Methods
Forty-five resistance-trained males (20.5 ± 3 yrs; 179 ± 7 cm, 84 ± 16 kg, 17.3 ± 9% body fat) were matched according to FFM and randomly assigned to ingest in a double blind manner supplements containing either a placebo (P); 800 mg/day of M; 200 mg of E; or, 1,000 mg/day of CSP3 for 8-weeks during training. At 0, 4, and 8-weeks, subjects donated fasting blood samples and completed comprehensive muscular strength, muscular endurance, anaerobic capacity, and body composition analysis. Data were analyzed by repeated measures ANOVA.

Results
No significant differences (p > 0.05) were observed in training adaptations among groups in the variables FFM, percent body fat, bench press 1 RM, leg press 1 RM or sprint peak power. Anabolic/catabolic analysis revealed no significant differences among groups in active testosterone (AT), free testosterone (FT), cortisol, the AT to cortisol ratio, urea nitrogen, creatinine, the blood urea nitrogen to creatinine ratio. In addition, no significant differences were seen from pre to post supplementation and/or training in AT, FT, or cortisol.

Conclusion
Results indicate that M, E, and CSP3 supplementation do not affect body composition or training adaptations nor do they influence the anabolic/catabolic hormone status or general markers of catabolism in resistance-trained males.

Yes, don't go and throw out your tren just yet! Lol.

That's one of the few semi-decent studies done on resistance trained athletes. Although if you read the paper, in the discussion you'll see findings from the 1980s that demonstrated positive effects. Really, we need more studies. It could well be that the single ecdysterooid studied in that article (20-hydroxyecdysone) doesn't work well alone or without a combination with others. Or it could be other studies were poorly designed. FWIW Quinoa naturally contains loads of ecdysteroids, as do the other compounds that were tested and showed positive results.

The positive findings regarding bone and cartilage anabolism probably have stronger support given the proposed model of oestrogen-receptor mediation.

Anyway, since I have all these in vitro and rat papers sitting around, I'll post them up anyway and you can make up your own minds...

Biol Sport. 2015 Jun;32(2):169-73. doi: 10.5604/20831862.1144420. Epub 2015 Mar 15.

Ecdysteroids: A novel class of anabolic agents?

Parr MK1, Botrè F2, Naß A1, Hengevoss J3, Diel P3, Wolber G1.

Abstract
Increasing numbers of dietary supplements with ecdysteroids are marketed as "natural anabolic agents". Results of recent studies suggested that their anabolic effect is mediated by estrogen receptor (ER) binding. Within this study the anabolic potency of ecdysterone was compared to well characterized anabolic substances. Effects on the fiber sizes of the soleus muscle in rats as well the diameter of C2C12 derived myotubes were used as biological readouts. Ecdysterone exhibited a strong hypertrophic effect on the fiber size of rat soleus muscle that was found even stronger compared to the test compounds metandienone (dianabol), estradienedione (trenbolox), and SARM S 1, all administered in the same dose (5 mg/kg body weight, for 21 days). In C2C12 myotubes ecdysterone (1 µM) induced a significant increase of the diameter comparable to dihydrotestosterone (1 µM) and IGF 1 (1.3 nM). Molecular docking experiments supported the ERβ mediated action of ecdysterone. To clarify its status in sports, ecdysterone should be considered to be included in the class "S1.2 Other Anabolic Agents" of the list of prohibited substances of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26060342

J Agric Food Chem. 2008 May 28;56(10):3532-7. doi: 10.1021/jf073059z. Epub 2008 Apr 30.
[h=1]Phytoecdysteroids increase protein synthesis in skeletal muscle cells.[/h]Gorelick-Feldman J1, Maclean D, Ilic N, Poulev A, Lila MA, Cheng D, Raskin I.

[h=3]Abstract
Phytoecdysteroids, which are structurally similar or identical to insect molting hormones, produce a range of effects in mammals, including increasing growth and physical performance. To study the mechanism of action of phytoecdysteroids in mammalian tissue, an in vitro cellular assay of protein synthesis was developed. In C2C12 murine myotubes and human primary myotubes, phytoecdysteroids increased protein synthesis by up to 20%. In vivo, ecdysteroids increased rat grip strength. Ecdysteroid-containing plant extracts produced similar results. The effect was inhibited by a phosphoinositide kinase-3 inhibitor, which suggests a PI3K-mediated mechanism.[/h]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18444661

Mol Nutr Food Res. 2014 Sep;58(9):1861-72. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201300806. Epub 2014 Jun 27.
[h=1]Estrogen receptor beta is involved in skeletal muscle hypertrophy induced by the phytoecdysteroid ecdysterone.[/h]Parr MK1, Zhao P, Haupt O, Ngueu ST, Hengevoss J, Fritzemeier KH, Piechotta M, Schlörer N, Muhn P, Zheng WY, Xie MY,Diel P.

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]SCOPE:
The phytoectysteroid ecdysterone (Ecdy) was reported to stimulate protein synthesis and enhance physical performance. The aim of this study was to investigate underlying molecular mechanisms particularly the role of ER beta (ERβ).[/h][h=4]RESULTS:
In male rats, Ecdy treatment increased muscle fiber size, serum IGF-1 increased, and corticosteron and 17β-estradiol (E2) decreased. In differentiated C2C12 myoblastoma cells, treatment with Ecdy, dihydrotestosterone, IGF-1 but also E2 results in hypertrophy. Hypertrophy induced by E2 and Ecdy could be antagonized with an antiestrogen but not by an antiandrogen. In HEK293 cells transfected with ER alpha (ERα) or ERβ, Ecdy treatment transactivated a reporter gene. To elucidate the role of ERβ in Ecdy-mediated muscle hypertrophy, C2C12 myotubes were treated with ERα (ALPHA) and ERβ (BETA) selective ligands. Ecdy and BETA treatment but not ALPHA induced hypertrophy. The effect of Ecdy, E2, and BETA could be antagonized by an ERβ-selective antagonist (ANTIBETA). In summary, our results indicate that ERβ is involved in the mediation of the anabolic activity of the Ecdy.[/h][h=4]CONCLUSION:
These findings provide new therapeutic perspectives for the treatment of muscle injuries, sarcopenia, and cachectic disease, but also imply that such a substance could be abused for doping purposes.[/h]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24974955

Phytother Res. 2013 Jan;27(1):107-11. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4679. Epub 2012 Apr 12.
[h=1]Continuous infusion of 20-hydroxyecdysone increased mass of triceps brachii in C57BL/6 mice.[/h]Cheng DM1, Kutzler LW, Boler DD, Drnevich J, Killefer J, Lila MA.

[h=3]Abstract
Phytoecdysteroids have been attributed with numerous pharmacological properties in animals, including increasing muscle mass, and 20-hydroxyecdysone (20E) is one of the most abundant phytoecdysteroids produced by plants. In this study, the physiological and gene expression effects of 20E were analyzed in C57BL/6 mice given a continuous infusion of saline or 20E (5 mg/kg/day) for 5 or 15 days using subcutaneously implanted Alzet® osmotic pumps. The masses of the total body, muscle groups and organs were determined. There was a significant increase ( p = 0.01) in the mass of triceps brachii in mice treated with 20E for 5 days (115 ± 8 mg) compared with mice treated with saline for 5 days (88 ± 3 mg), however, there were no differences in the other measured parameters. To determine potential mechanisms of 20E in skeletal muscle, Illumina's Mouse Whole Genome-6 v2.0 Expression BeadChips were used to evaluate changes in gene expression of the triceps brachii after 20E infusion. Ingenuity Pathways Analysis was used to identify genes with the most evidence for differential expression, of which, 16 genes involved in the skeletal and muscular system were identified. Overall, the data suggest that 20E does not have potent anabolic properties, however, a muscle-specific increase was observed and genes were identified to provide an explanation for the muscle accretion.[/h]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22495969

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Mar;296(3):E433-9. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.90772.2008. Epub 2009 Jan 6.
[h=1]20-Hydroxyecdysone decreases weight and hyperglycemia in a diet-induced obesity mice model.[/h]Kizelsztein P1, Govorko D, Komarnytsky S, Evans A, Wang Z, Cefalu WT, Raskin I.

[h=3]Abstract
The steroid hormone 20-hydroxyecdysone (20HE) is an essential signaling molecule that modulates molting response in insects and may function as a putative anabolic factor in vertebrate animals, although no mammalian 20HE receptor has been identified. Here we show that in H4IIE cell culture, 20HE treatment decreased expression of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (PEPCK) and glucose-6-phosphatase (G6Pase), reduced glucose production, and induced Akt2 phosphorylation sensitive to the phosphoinositide-3 kinase pathway-specific inhibitor LY-294002. Daily oral administration of 20HE (10 mg/kg for 13 wk) ameliorated obesity and insulin resistance in C57BL/6J mice fed a high-fat diet and produced a significant decrease of body weight gain and body fat mass compared with nontreated animals as demonstrated by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry analysis. In addition, plasma insulin levels and glucose tolerance were significantly lowered by 20HE treatment. These changes were accompanied by the reduced hepatic expression of PEPCK and G6Pase and increased adiponectin production by visceral fat tissue. These studies demonstrate the anti-obesity and anti-diabetic effects of 20HE and begin to elucidate its putative cellular targets both in vitro and in vivo.[/h]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19126784

Phytomedicine. 2008 Sep;15(9):691-8. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2008.04.015. Epub 2008 Jun 26.
[h=1]20-Hydroxyecdysone increases fiber size in a muscle-specific fashion in rat.[/h]Tóth N1, Szabó A, Kacsala P, Héger J, Zádor E.

[h=3]Abstract
20-Hydroxyecdysone (20E) is an ecdysteroid hormone that regulates moulting in insects. Interestingly, 20E is also found most abundantly in plant species and has anabolic effects in vertebrates, i.e. increasing muscle size without androgen influence. The effect of 20E on slow and fast fiber types of skeletal muscle has not been reported yet. Here we present that 20E affects the size (cross-sectional area, CSA) of the different fiber types in a muscle-specific manner. The effect on fiber size was modified by the distance from the site of the treatment and the presence of a regenerating soleus muscle in the animal. Besides the fiber size, 20E also increased the myonuclear number in the fibers of normal and regenerating muscles, suggesting the activation of satellite cells. According to our results 20E may provide an alternative for substitution of anabolic-androgenic steroids in therapeutic treatments against muscle atrophy[/h]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18585021

Sorry about the mess... but BL's formatting methods make it beyond tidying up... just try and pick through...

^^^ LOL

Sorry CFC, didn't mean to look like I was disputing the claims haha (I mean who here in their right mind would want this to be false? :p), more just noticed it and figured I should apply the rule of 'question everything'. Was busy with work too so didn't really get to elaborate on my post heh.

I've thought about occasionally swapping over to quinoa, so might pull the finger out now. Especially if it's lower in cals haha, it's cutting season!

Given the price of Quinoa these days I wish I did have 250lbs lol.

I think you're right to dispute the claims over muscle gains though Trozzle. Sometimes what works in a test tube or on a rat doesn't translate to trained athletes. I'm more interested in the potential joint/cartilage improvement aspect of them myself. Regular AAS users may also benefit from improved skin with use.

Great topic, thanks for the heads up, love quinoa, it makes for some delicious meals as a salad or side dish to meat or fish. I was aware that it was the holly grail for vegans trying to beef up (pun intended) in muscle since it's after the oestrogen containing soy the other full spectrum amino acid food available to them, but I didn't know about the Ecdysteroids