• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study Links Drinking Wine in Moderation to Lower Risk of Depression

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Wine has traditionally been viewed as having medicinal value. Drinking wine, in moderation, is beneficial for health and is even being recommended as a safe alternative to drinking water.

Several studies done earlier highlighted the health benefits of drinking wine. It lowers the risk of heart disease, diabetes, slows brain decline, dementia, prevents gallstones, helps to live longer and reduces the risk of developing common colds.

Adding to these health benefits, a latest scientific study claims that drinking moderate amount of alcohol may have similar protective effect on depression like that observed for coronary heart disease although other studies have shown that high level of alcohol consumption raises risk of mental problems like depression.

The researchers studied 5,500 light to moderate drinkers for seven years of ages 55-80 who were a part of the PREDIMED study. They never had any history of depression or other alcohol-related problems at the start of the study. During the seven years, the researchers monitored the rate of alcohol consumption, mental health as well the subject's lifestyle through yearly visits, repeated medical tests, questionnaires and interviews with dieticians. Wine was the main alcoholic beverage consumed by the subjects.

On analyzing the subjects, the researchers noticed an inverse association between intake of alcohol and incidence of depression. They observed that those participants who drank a moderate amount of wine each week were less likely to suffer from depression. A low rate of depression was visible in the group that drank two-seven small glasses of wine per week.

cont at
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/a...ing-wine-moderation-lower-risk-depression.htm

Link to actual study

Wine has traditionally been viewed as having medicinal value. Drinking wine, in moderation, is beneficial for health and is even being recommended as a safe alternative to drinking water.

Several studies done earlier highlighted the health benefits of drinking wine. It lowers the risk of heart disease, diabetes, slows brain decline, dementia, prevents gallstones, helps to live longer and reduces the risk of developing common colds.

Adding to these health benefits, a latest scientific study claims that drinking moderate amount of alcohol may have similar protective effect on depression like that observed for coronary heart disease although other studies have shown that high level of alcohol consumption raises risk of mental problems like depression.

The researchers studied 5,500 light to moderate drinkers for seven years of ages 55-80 who were a part of the PREDIMED study. They never had any history of depression or other alcohol-related problems at the start of the study. During the seven years, the researchers monitored the rate of alcohol consumption, mental health as well the subject's lifestyle through yearly visits, repeated medical tests, questionnaires and interviews with dieticians. Wine was the main alcoholic beverage consumed by the subjects.

On analyzing the subjects, the researchers noticed an inverse association between intake of alcohol and incidence of depression. They observed that those participants who drank a moderate amount of wine each week were less likely to suffer from depression. A low rate of depression was visible in the group that drank two-seven small glasses of wine per week.

cont at
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/a...ing-wine-moderation-lower-risk-depression.htm

Link to actual study

Drinking alcohol in moderation probably does have some health benefits (Im not arguing that it doesnt), but there's other ways to get those benefits without drinking alcohol, which also has a lot of health risks as well.

http://alcoholism.about.com/library/blhealth01.htm

Not all recent research has pointed to the health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption, however. One recent study indicated that drinking alcohol regularly -- even at moderate levels -- could lead to cirrhosis, a liver disease normally associated with alcoholism.

Dr. Charles Lieber of the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York conducted a study of people who had rich diets supplemented with minerals and vitamins. They were given a daily dose of alcohol that was less than the amount needed to produce intoxication. "After 18 days, subjects showed an eight-fold increase in liver fat, the pre-condition for cirrhosis," said Lieber. "When you burn alcohol, you are not burning fat."

Drinking alcohol in moderation probably does have some health benefits (Im not arguing that it doesnt), but there's other ways to get those benefits without drinking alcohol, which also has a lot of health risks as well.

I absolutely agree.
Meditation, exercise, making music or art or writing, socializing... All should help prevent depression. And without the toxic side-effects.

"other studies have shown that high level of alcohol consumption raises risk of mental problems like depression" - Many people suffering from depression and anxiety spectrum disorders use alcohol or other drugs in an attempt to self medicate.

Even a glass or two of wine makes me feel sick to my stomach, gives me a headache, and increases the odds of having anxiety. Ironically I actually feel worse after wine even the next day. "lowers the risk of depression?" :p

It's probably just me, but I just don't see the benefits in wine.

Even a glass or two of wine makes me feel sick to my stomach, gives me a headache, and increases the odds of having anxiety. Ironically I actually feel worse after wine even the next day. "lowers the risk of depression?" :p

It's probably just me, but I just don't see the benefits in wine.

Alcohol affects different people in different ways.

If people want to talk about the health benefits of moderate drinking, then they should also talk about the health risks of it as well.

For a drug forum alcohol doesn't seem too popular. And I think alcohol is a pretty decent drug. Especially if you don't get hangovers like me.

Last edited:
For a drug forum alcohol doesn't seem too popular. While not the best drug it boost the effects of weed and pills quite a bit.

Definitly, i love me some benzos with alcohol. But this ''study'' is just a strategy to get people to buy alcohol lol

Maybe the fact that those people COULD drink wine in moderation is what really determined that they were less likely to be depressed.