• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Study Full-Text Request Thread

atrollappears

Bluelighter
Hey everyone, I'm looking for the full-text of this article: "Attention and memory in illicit amphetamine users: comparison with non-drug-using controls" http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376871698000222
It appears to indicate that recreational use of amphetamine in the absence of dependence does not cause cognitive impairment. I am interested in looking at the full text to see a) whether the subjects were users of specifically amphetamine, or methamphetamine as well, and b) what was the cut-off SDS score for dependence.

In addition, I will be working in a lab soon that studies amphetamine neurotoxicity, so not only can I fill you guys in with any useful and interesting (non-secret, of course ;) information on the subject, but I can also get access to at least some journal articles that you guys might be interested in. So, I was thinking that we could use this thread as a place to share study full-texts (deleting them shortly after).

PM's only please or move this to reddit /r/scholar. I like the principle but BL doesn't need any more legal scrutiny

Hey everyone, I'm looking for the full-text of this article: "Attention and memory in illicit amphetamine users: comparison with non-drug-using controls" http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376871698000222
It appears to indicate that recreational use of amphetamine in the absence of dependence does not cause cognitive impairment. I am interested in looking at the full text to see a) whether the subjects were users of specifically amphetamine, or methamphetamine as well, and b) what was the cut-off SDS score for dependence.

In addition, I will be working in a lab soon that studies amphetamine neurotoxicity, so not only can I fill you guys in with any useful and interesting (non-secret, of course ;) information on the subject, but I can also get access to at least some journal articles that you guys might be interested in. So, I was thinking that we could use this thread as a place to share study full-texts (deleting them shortly after).

I think I can answer both of your questions without uploading. The authors make no mention of methamphetamine, so it's not really clear if they make that distinction or not.

SDS score cut off criteria:

Amphetamine users were split into two groups according to an SDS cut-off score of greater than four, which is equivalent to a DSM-III-R diagnosis of severe amphetamine dependence (Topp and Mattick, 1997): low (0–4) (n=11, seven male, four female) and high (5+) (n=15, six male, nine female). The mean amphetamine SDS score for the high dependence group was 8.1 (S.D.=3.4), significantly greater than the low dependence group (Mean (S.D.)=2.0 (1.3), t=−6.2, P<0.0005).

Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions about this study.

Awesome, thanks guys. Well this study seems to suggest that moderate recreational use of amphetamines is safe, cognitively... I wonder how this fits on with questions about neurotoxicity in humans.