• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Student Association (Fraternity) initiation

LearntYoung

Bluelighter
I have decided to join a student association and am now a few days away from one of the toughest challenges of my life:
The two week initiation camp.
The problem is that I was misinformed about the last moment of joining, because of which I have to join on sunday.

Not a big deal? Sure it isn't, but there's a problem. They are not giving me my packing list before sunday in the afternoon, making it impossible for me to buy the stuff I have to take (which is probably 90% bullshit)

There is an underlying question here: Has anybody here joined a student association? If yes, did you get a list like this too? If yes, what was on it? Preferably, but not only Dutch experiences.

Kind regards,
The Flying Dutchman
Oh no, LearntYoung

Everything they tell you is bullshit made up to entertain the members.

I know that stuff, and I should stay out of the spotlight, avoid attention, because it's they'll target me then.

My question is mainly meant for the packing list.
I've heard people had to take 7 and a half uncooked eggs, 1/5th lottery ticket etc.
What should I buy in advance, because I will not have the possibility to buy something once I get the list...

Ive never heard of a packing list. How do you even begin to know what to buy?

Yeah, well, I don't know...

Normally you have the entire week to but stuff, but I was misinformed of the registration date and therefore they're making it a little harder on me.
I e-mailed asking when I'd have time to buy the stuff on my list and the answer was: You don't.

Yeah, well, I don't know...

Normally you have the entire week to but stuff, but I was misinformed of the registration date and therefore they're making it a little harder on me.
I e-mailed asking when I'd have time to buy the stuff on my list and the answer was: You don't.

That sounds absolutely terrible. I don't know why anyone would choose to be a part of something like that.
The whole initiation thing is really immature. Frats and stuff like that, they don't mean anything once you're done school. It's just a way to be "cool" during college but you can have plenty of fun and plenty of friends without being in a frat or something like that.

sounds like it already started. good luck.

alasdair

Remember, you don't call your country a cunt, so you can't call your fraternity a frat.
Rule #1

Haha, well I just bought a sleeping bag and a matras, I'll wear a T-shirt saying:
# Qualified
# Not qualified
X Overly skilled
And I'll just let them say whatever they want to me.
I've decided to quickly boost up on carbs, protein and vitamins, just for what it's worth.

Also, llama112, I think your image of a student association is bit misformed, but then again: Not everybody likes it and you're not forced to like it.

Truth of the matter is though that you'll build up a really strong bond with your year and probably have friends for life. Next to that, the association can mean a lot for you in developping skills that are helpful in later life and even help you with finding a job.

Also, llama112, I think your image of a student association is bit misformed, but then again: Not everybody likes it and you're not forced to like it.

I don't mean to be insulting or presumptuous but are you still in college/uni or have you graduated and been in the workforce for a few years?

If people want to be in a frat or whatever, that's fine, I don't really care. But going through stuff like that for something that doesn't really have any benefit after college/uni doesn't make sense to me. I don't know all the frats in the world, only a few of them, so that's what I'm basing it on.

Edit: There was a group that I went to, just with some friends, to see what it was like. We did something for charity. I can't remember what it was but I remember thinking it was a good idea. But better than making a fool of yourself like some other groups do. Anyway, that was pretty cool.

My bad, you haven't even started college/uni. I didn't realize you were the OP at first. Sorry!

You'll realize later it's not that big of a deal but that's okay.

But there are other ways to make friends and you can develop many skills outside of a frat.

It really depends on what sort of college/fraternity you are joining. Some are well worth the bastardisation and humiliation, simply because of old school tie connections that you will gain. This can be really helpful in certain professions.

Yale's Skull and Bones society is one that springs to mind as one with often childish and horrible initiations, yet the number of powerful men who are past members is scary. I have known friends who have gotten jobs more because of the schools they attended and the colleges they belonged too.

Having said that, being too inbred to a particular group can often isolate and ostracise you, so pick and choose carefully what you want to be associated with.

Last edited:
I am now a member of *redacted association name*.
I really enjoyed the Introduction time, but it was really exhausting.
About 80 of the 574 joined people quit, so it wasn't as easy as I experienced

Last edited: