• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Strychnine as stimulant, questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Strychnine is most commonly known as a highly toxic alkaloid found in various plants and used as a rodenticide and murder weapon. However a less well known and more interesting use is as a stimulant, particularly in the Victorian era as well as a performance enhancer in sports. I have read some user experiences on the Internet, but they are few in number. They describe the feel of very low dose strychnine as: invigorating, stimulating, jittery, some what uforic and cleaner than caffeine.
Strychnine functions as a powerful competative glycine antagonist thus reducing inhibitory signals to the muscles, and decreasing the threshold for external stimuli to trigger muscle contractions. This is the same mechanism by wich overdoses cause violent convulsions that can be deadly if untreated. It isn’t able to cross the BBB, yet has been shown to strongly enhance memory in rats.
Given strychnine’s benefits I wonder if one could use it to help them study. In addition if they have unexplained muscle weekness and extreme fatigue could it help?
Hear are some questions I can’t find answers to, may be you could help, don’t worry if you can not.
1 Does tolerance build up to strychnine?
2 Could strychnine be addictive?
3 how does it improve memory?
What do you all think about this. Thanks

Posts like that make me wonder, why don't people just settle for good old cocaine or meth. Nah lets experiment with a substance that if I screw a dose up will kill me in a nasty way. And not only that, you clearly have a regular use on your mind given how you ask about addictiveness and tolerance.

Unlike cocaine or meth, strychnine may not be neurotoxic, that is it will not kill nerve cells at a reasonable dose. This of course under the supervision of a expert or with dose titration starting with non-active doses and working your way up. Surely this is not for everyone especially on those who are reckless with drugs

Ritalin is neuroprotective, amphetamine is only neurotoxic at high doses. Why not use those two? People have used those drugs for quite a while without ill effects.

I know technically the dose of any chemical makes the poison but no one know the long term effects of constant strychnine use. That is one of many problems, how are you going to get the strychnine, are you going to make it, how pure is the sample you have, what is the bioavailability of this drug? You need to take all these things into account and even then you are playing with your life.

1 Does tolerance build up to strychnine?
2 Could strychnine be addictive?
3 how does it improve memory?
What do you all think about this. Thanks
There's no research about it as it's a toxic alkaloid and ethics commission won't tests on humans, so it's impossible to answer

Imo it's an incredibly dangerous idea as a little too much can kill you

neuroprotection said:
What do you all think about this.
I think you're a Darwin Award waiting to happen if you go through with it. There are so many other options when it comes to stimulants that it's baffling to me why anyone would even entertain this idea.

I think you're a Darwin Award waiting to happen if you go through with it. There are so many other options when it comes to stimulants that it's baffling to me why anyone would even entertain this idea.

The reason I chose Strychnine is because of its supposed enhancement of both memory and muscle activity. As I suffer from mental and physical fatigue, strychnine presents some benefits, but that doesn't mean I will go for it

I don't think there's any reason to believe strychnine would be less neurotoxic than drugs like meth, amp, methylphenidate, etc. And it has a dangerously small therapeutic index.

Whats causing your mental and physical fatigue?

The reason I chose Strychnine is because of its supposed enhancement of both memory and muscle activity. As I suffer from mental and physical fatigue, strychnine presents some benefits, but that doesn't mean I will go for it
Did you try to read how it kills? PTSD causes memory (exacerbation)/enhancement. If you take a hammer and smash your thumb, that would (the pain) increase your memory, in the totally wrong way.

As Slow Möbius pointed out, the question is, why would you need something that hard due to chronic fatigue? This is a very bad idea. The only real Harm Reduction here would be 1. Don't eat rat poison that causes brain hemorages and 2. If you have this serious of a problem, go see a doctor.

This will most likely be the only time you'll ever hear this from me but, meth is a better alternative. There is no valid reason to choose strychnine over normal stims unless you just have a death wish.

Let me just start off by saying I never participated in any type of animal cruelty nor do I approve of it so no lectures please. I've heard stories from older people who participated in cockfighting back before it became illegal, who said that when a rooster was badly injured the owner would inject it with strychnine so it could continue to fight temporarily. They said it would act as a very strong stimulant for a short time but would kill the rooster after a few minutes (even if it hadn't been decapitated or slashed to shreds).

Did you try to read how it kills? PTSD causes memory (exacerbation)/enhancement. If you take a hammer and smash your thumb, that would (the pain) increase your memory, in the totally wrong way.

As Slow Möbius pointed out, the question is, why would you need something that hard due to chronic fatigue? This is a very bad idea. The only real Harm Reduction here would be 1. Don't eat rat poison that causes brain hemorages and 2. If you have this serious of a problem, go see a doctor.

I understand your point, but just out of interest, does strychnine damage the brain through a direct cellular mechanism like Arsenic and cyanide, or by Oxygen deprivation due to impaired breathing at toxic doses

Strychnine is a glycine antagonist, thus taking it will result in less inhibition that will lead to muscle spasms and asphyxiation.
http://lifeinthefastlane.com/toxicology-conundrum-007/
The life threat from strychnine poisoning is due to the secondary effects of generalised muscle spasms and rigidity. Chest wall rigidity leads to respiratory failure, and ultimately hypoxia and multiple organ dysfunction.

Since Strychnine's main mechanism of action is glycine antagonism, I wonder if it's molecular structure could be altered to make a potent glycine agonist. I don't know what good a glycine agonist would be, possibly a muscle relaxant?
Note I am referring to agonism of the strychnine sensitive glycine receptor which is an inhibitory chloride channel, and not the glycine cite of the NMDA receptor

Last edited:
Personally I believe Strychnine’s use as a rat poison, method of murder by criminals and the Nazi regime as well as for suicide has tarnished its reputation. Therefore its medical benefits may well have been overlooked. I do understand why most people think Strychnine as a stimulant is a bad idea given the lack of research on the substance, though I am certain the horrific reputation of Strychnine combined with its narrow therapeutic index is to blaim.

Caffeine is also thought to be a glycine antagonist, though a very weak one at best. How could this contribute to its overall effects?

I have just read that taurine, when added to energy drinks may contribute to the crash or comedown associated with such products by activating glycine receptors. This may cause a sedative affect, but such claims are yet to be verified.

We spelled this out clearly . This is no longer HR. It causes death. There is no current safe use in humans. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.