View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange Reactions to LSD

Vediog

Bluelighter
Over the weekend, I took acid with three of my friends. I and two of the others, I'll call them Earl and Mary, had a fantastic time, while the other one, let's call him Frank, was sent into an odd state. He was moving in slow-motion for hours, every action took forever. We had music on, and at times he would be moving his hands to the music like an ultra slow dance. For much of the night he would wander around the house, inspecting things as if he had no idea what they were. He also lost the use of his voice for most of the trip. At times he would attempt to communicate with us non-verbally, using ultra slow-mo gestures that we were unable to understand for the most part. When we would fail to interpret his desires we could see the frustration on his face. At one point we got Frank a glass of water. He seemed to be having difficulty drinking it, so Earl got him a straw, and as he put it in the glass Frank gave him a look of bewildered contempt as if to say "My God you guys are stupid" which was really quite hilarious. Earl was convinced that Frank was reacting to things in a delayed manner, some 30 seconds or more at times after the event, but Earl said he was able to control his own temporal flow to match with Frank to facilitate communication (probably just a trippy delusion but fascinating nonetheless).

Now, I have never heard of anything like this before, and it was alternating between funny, fascinating, frustrating, and even distressing at times. Later on Frank said that he was caught in a thought loop the entire night, and whenever he would attempt to break it things would change and bring him right back into the loop. He said he wasn't even aware that he could have used his voice to communicate. I let him be, as he seemed to be harmless, and knowing that the drug would eventually wear off. Do you think that was the right move? Have you witnessed, experienced, or heard of other strange reactions to LSD, and how was it dealt with?

what was his dose? I've definitely seen much worse reactions. Have you tested your LSD?

I let him be, as he seemed to be harmless, and knowing that the drug would eventually wear off. Do you think that was the right move?

Yes, I think you handled the situation correctly.

Have you witnessed, experienced, or heard of other strange reactions to LSD, and how was it dealt with?

My best friend is highly sensitive to LSD, and Frank's reaction hardly even compares to what I've seen happen to them every time they take a dose of 100 mcg or more. Uncontrollable movement & vocalizations, crying, complete dissociation from reality, thinking they're in a different place or a different time, thinking they're a different person, prolonged thought loops, etc. Apparently they enjoy it all just fine, but they require a bit of paying attention to when we trip together.

I always deal with it my moving them to somewhere safe, without people around, and talking to them in a calm voice. It can get repetitive when they're stuck in a loop, but it's an effective way to keep them grounded. Once I gave them Xanax to help them calm down, and surprisingly it took almost a milligram before it had the desired effect.

Very strong reactions to LSD can happen, and being aware of this fact is important for good HR. I hope your experience will help keep you from being surprised in the future!

Last edited:
Sounds like a fairly normal reaction to me along with a stellar handling on y'all's part!

It was 2 hits of quality LSD. Mary also had 2 (taken an hour apart), it was her first time and she was worried that this kind of reaction could happen to her. Earl and I had 3, being more experienced and knowing pretty well how it affects us. I did not test it as I trust my source very much. He is also interested in HR and a kind soul so I doubt he would ever intentionally do me wrong.

What really bothered me about Frank was that I had never heard or read about someone going ultra slow-motion on acid before. This was not intentional for him, he was really stuck on like 10% speed for hours.

i'm sure you don't have to worry about it, that is, i don't think there's anything bad behind the reaction you described - considering Frank seems neutral about it all. that's what acid does, causes strange reactions.

Yeah I watched a friend have a similar trip one night. It's one of the less common reactions to be certain, but it sounds like you handled it well

What you described happening to your friend is completely normal on very high doses of LSD.

The first time I took acid it was an extremely high dose and for part of the experience during the peak I lost the ability to speak, hear, and comprehend language. It sounds scary but I just went with it, and I was fine.