View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange Physiological Problems

elchino

Greenlighter
Hi, this is rather long but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction:

I have had some physiological issues associated with psychedelic use and I have been unable to find a satisfactory explanation. I will try to keep it brief, I'm curious to hear any input from other people on the board and I am also looking to see if anyone can suggest a doctor in the NYC area (probably a neurologist) who is comfortable with the use of psychedelics (i.e. they won't just write off the problems as being typical side effects of drugs). Also, the obvious solution is for me to not use psychedelics which is fine with me but I still want to understand what is going on.

Two other points:
1) I am not trying to disparage psychedelics in any way, I know that they are generally safe and beneficial for most people under the right circumstances. Part of the reason that I want to figure this out is because I want to know why these relatively benign substances affect me this way.
2) I am familiar with the psychological impact on seemingly physiological symptoms. I do not think I am somehow beyond this influence but based on my history, I strongly believe that there is a primary "physiological" problem. This is not a case of "I took acid and I think I ruined my brain". This whole period of experimentation has gone on for several years and I am not currently upset or distraught, I am just concerned as well as curious. I think that solving this problem may help others, even if they are in the minority.

Anyway, I am a 35 yo male, I don't drink alcohol, do not smoke cigarettes/marijuana, no caffeine, etc. I'm fairly healthy although I seem to have some mild auto-immune/gi problems, mainly celiac and some intestinal inflammation as well as some other related, minor symptoms. Most of my experience is with pure vaporized nn-dmt, ayahuasca and on one occasion, LSD.

- Vaporizing DMT was fine for the better part of a year (~1-5 times a month). The DMT was from a very high quality extraction. At a certain point, I felt difficulty breathing, pressure in my head and overall discomfort. I discontinued use but a feeling of shortness of breath, pressure in head and hot flashes persisted for several months. This eventually went away, this was about two years ago, I never vaporized it again and completely recovered.

-I took one hit of LSD from a trusted source, straight from the bottle onto a piece of paper. I tested it with ehrlich's reagent, it came back a deep blue/purple indicating that it was an indole compound. The experience was rather intense but quite positive however in the subsequent days, I again developed shortness of breath/hot flashes/pressure in head, sleep disturbance, numbness in facial muscles/difficulty forming words. This persisted for nearly two months but i completely recovered. I will not be taking LSD again although I appreciate the insights that I had.

- I have drank ayahuasca in various forms and settings over the years, maybe 12 times, sometimes in the amazon and other times in the US in ceremonial settings. I tolerate it well except for a recent experience which involved a "Peruvian" style ceremony (ayahuasca with lots of vine materials/tannins as well as a great deal of mapacho(tobacco) smoke in the room during the ceremony). The ceremony was amazing but about two days later, I again developed, pressure in head, shortness of breath, especially when laying down/sleeping, hot flashes, numbness in hands etc. I am still feeling these effects over a month later.

I have gotten general bloodwork with nothing completely out of the ordinary. My hormone levels seem OK. I have had a chest xray and ekg, both were OK. I have experimented with supplements at different points in time to see if they have any affect, these include:
-5htp
-Murica puriens (very small amount)
-B6
-B12
-n-acetylcysteine
-acetyl l-carnitine
-iron

And some others. Some of these help sometimes but it is hard to tell so I don't take currently take anything since I don't want to complicate matters. It seems that at least some of the problems could be associated with gastric reflux so I sometimes take a ppi as well as gasx and digestive enzymes. These seem to help a little but again I have a feeling that it is not the primary cause. My current theories are:

- GERD: this can in theory explain some of the problems, especially if triggered by smoke/vaporization but would one hit of LSD cause nearly two months of debilitating symptoms?
- Underlying autoimmune problem: could these compounds have triggered some inflammation in spine/cns/meninges/elsewhere?
- serotonin issue: I know that 5ht2a receptors specifically affect smooth muscle contraction related to GI and bronchi, maybe there is some issue with the receptors?

Also, when I use daime (ayahuasca that has less vine material, it is sweeter and lighter and typically causes less vomiting) I tend to have almost no problems, even when it is very very strong. That is also the same when using oral DMT (with pure harmine).

Thanks, and again, if anyone can suggest a doctor in the NYC area who is comfortable with psychedelics, I would appreciate it. I have several doctors appointments coming up but they won't be for several months. Although I have no problem telling the doctor that I have used psychedelics, it basically gives them a way out of having to try to figure out what is going on, they just blame it on drug use. I find it easier to not mention it.

Last edited:
Hey, elchino. I don't have anything helpful to say about these symptoms but I can imagine that they are indeed worrisome. It does seem like a mental component is worth exploring simply because you experienced them so directly with three very different compounds. This does not mean "it's all in your head". I don't think there is that kind of divide between mind and body tbh. I think that your search for a doctor that will accept your psychedelic use without judgment (preferably one with experience) is a good call on your part. I wish you luck with your search. Don't get discouraged if no one replies to this immediately--sometimes it takes a while. I'm going to a conference this weekend with some MAPS people so I will ask about doctors in the NYC area and PM you if anyone gives me a name.

Thanks for the response. I am fairly sure that I have narrowed down the problem. I think that writing out the details helped me put it into perspective. I believe that the combination of underlying autoimmune problems along with disruption of neurotransmitters due to the psychedelics (and in the cases involved smoke, an irritant) seemed to send me into some type of HPA-axis dysregulation. Based on this theory, I took a small dose of murica pruiens to increase my dopamine levels and then took 200mg of 5HTP in order to balance out the dopamine and to increase my serotonin levels. My symptoms disappeared. The swelling in my throat diminished, I could breath, my temperature regulation went nearly back to normal, no more hot flashes. I still plan on seeing an endocrinologist and/or neurologist, preferably one who is familiar with psychedelics. There seems to be tension between my immune system and HPA-axis (this is a broad generalization but this is my interpretation) and it seems that DMT+smoke or LSD push it over the edge. Anyway, maybe this will help someone and maybe someone here has more input.

Well, I am glad to know that you are able to mitigate the symptoms. I'll be curious to hear what the doctor says if you feel like sharing when the time comes.