• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Strange neurochemical effects from MMJ (possibly GABA related?)

TheGreenJew

Greenlighter
Hey All,
Around January of this year, I came down with a stomach flu that caused something called Gastroparesis (paralyzation, either full or partial, of the stomach muscles that move food through your digestive tract). I was unable to eat for weeks, going on months, and it caused increasingly severe anxiety, as well as worsening depression, as my body went into starvation mode (I was unable to hold almost any food down). I had smoked through my senior year of high school, as well as my first two years of college (I'm partway through my third year now). When the Gastroparesis started, I got my MMJ card and began using MMJ to mediate the symptoms of both the Gastroparesis, and the secondary illnesses (physical and mental) it was causing. I found the right strains to manage the anxiety, as well as manage the digestive symptoms (THC improves stomach motility, and thus is helpful for Gastroparesis). Around April of this year, however, I started getting crazy panic attacks in the middle of the day. Crazy, crying my eyes out on the sofa thinking about how all my loved ones were going to die panic attacks. Previously I had been getting similarly intrusive, but not quite as crippling, anxiety attacks that were being managed through the MMJ (and likely caused by the Gastroparesis/starvation from it). After some trial and error, and eliminating things, I discovered the MMJ was, at the very least, making them much worse. I stopped the MMJ, and began taking PheniTropic (the GABA supplement designed to cross the blood-brain barrier), and the attacks eventually (after a few weeks) began to go away. I initially thought that the reason the MMJ was causing attacks was because of critically low GABA levels -- my neurotransmitters have never been perfectly balanced (I have Tourettes Syndrome and the ADHD that often comes with it, amongst other things, and both can mess up neurotransmitter levels), but after about 3.5 months of taking the GABA supplement, alongside SAM-E (low seratonin was also a problem), I tried smoking again and was met, again, with crazy panic attacks that lasted for about a week and a half after stopping.
I've been trying to figure out what may have been causing them, but have come up blank. Unfortunately the science of MMJ is so new, and little enough is known about the neurochemistry involved, that none of my doctors were able to provide any insight. Unfortunately I still suffer from the Gastroparesis and digestive tract issues, as well as the chronic anxiety (I've always been an anxious person, although never with attacks like I've had starting from the onset of the Gastroparesis), things which I'd like to be able to treat with MMJ again if possible. I don't know, however, if or when it may be safe to try MMJ again. I'm hoping that, while the Doctors are clueless, someone with wider knowledge here may be able to provide some insight.
I can cover a more extensive list of the chronic illnesses (mental and physical) that I suffer from, and that may be contributing to weird neuro-chemistry, if that would be helpful. The attacks lasted almost exactly the same amount of time after stopping the MMJ both times, and carried the same quality. They didn't seem to be mitigated much by the boosted GABA levels from the PheniTropic (although the PheniTropic did prove useful in reducing my anxiety levels overall), and started after many months of medical usage, and partial starvation. Does anyone have any idea what may have been causing the (presumably) weed induced attacks, and have any insight into whether or not it may be safe to try again? I had never had this issue previously, and it came upon me suddenly. I should add, on the offchance it's at all helpful, that this was just after my 20th birthday (my birthday is in December, and this because around mid February).

Thank you all!

You'll probably get more responses if you could shorten your post and clarify your question.

If you are asking what happened neurologically that produced a strange response to cannabis, or really any drug for that matter, chances are you will not get the answer here for many reasons, the most prevalent being that everyone is different to put it simply.

It sounds like there is a lot of speculation about your own neurochemistry to begin with, chances are that any attempt to explain why your body reacted the way it did will be even more speculation based off of speculation..

That gastroparesis thing made me wonder if that?s not what Cannabis Hyperemisis Syndrome actually is...

Last edited: