• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Strange experience while taking Percocets last night

bluesteyes

Bluelighter
I have been taking Percocets the past few months for a bulging disc issue with my neck and other chronic pain related issues. This past Friday I received a new 10MG/325MG script. The script is for one tablet, 3 times per day, although I will split them sometimes if my pain isn’t as great.

One or two times per week (no more) I will take extra Percocet to get high and get extra pain relief. My tolerance is at a level now to where 45MG will do the trick. I usually take one or two Benadryl 30 minutes before taking the Percocet to add to the effect.

Last night I took one Benadryl and one 1MG Ativan tablet. I waited 30 minutes, and then took 45MG of Percocet. I waited and waited and waited. No euphoria whatsoever. I just felt drowsy. Usually after 40 or 50 minutes, I can feel the effects of the pills, but for some gosh darn reason, I couldn’t get any euphoria. So I foolishly took some more. And some more. I did this even though it has been my experience that once I take a certain amount of Percocet, I can’t get any more buzzed by taking more pills until the initial dose wears off. In other words, it’s useless for me to take 45MG and then 50 minutes later take another 25MG. It doesn’t add to the high whatsoever. It feels like a 45MG high, period.

Problem is, last night 45MG wasn’t getting me high at all. What’s weird is that just a few days prior I had taken 45MG (with a Benadryl and an Ativan), and it gave me a really nice euphoric high. I don’t understand how I could all of a sudden go from having a nice euphoric high at 45MG to having ZERO high when I took the same dosage a few days later. I could understand it if last night’s high wasn’t as good or as intense as the high before it, but to have no high whatsoever? I didn’t eat anything before last night’s dose either.

Anybody else ever experience something like this where you seem to develop a super tolerance almost overnight? Again, I don’t take these larger doses of Percocet every day. I only do it a couple times per week.

Anyway, I have made the decision to stop using the Percocets to get high. I am just going to use them for pain relief, period. I will only use them as directed. What happened last night kind of scared the daylights out of me. I just couldn’t get high, no matter how many pills I took. I’m glad that I stopped where I did. All it did was over tax my liver.

My biggest fear is that I may have built my tolerance up to a level to where a regular, prescribed 10MG tablet won’t do anything for pain. We’ll see. If that happens I may need to ween myself off these things for a few weeks and then start taking them from scratch…..as prescribed.

Do you usually take benzos along with opiates? They potentiate each other. You probably do have a higher tolerance now, but if you go back to your normal dose and stick with it it'll drop back down.

I usually take two Benadryl 30 minutes before taking the percs, but every once in awhile I will take one Benadryl and one Ativan. I don't take any more than this because I don't want to fall asleep. But what was totally puzzling to me about last night's experience was how much my tolerance had changed within just a few days. It was almost as if I were a completely different person. I have never come close to taking as many percs as I did last night, and I didn't get any euphoria, period. It was as if I were taking a bunch of placebos.

The situation was kind of scary....I could see how someone could easily OD or blackout from such an experience. I'm glad I put an end to it when I did. But my rational mind made the decision. My body wasn't telling me anything. I just knew I couldn't carry on taking more pills without major consequences.

Last edited:
Tolerance can really sneak up on you, it's a bitch like that and very unpredictable, especially when using opiates for the euphoria. I don't think it's anything abnormal, though I feel you, it sucks. I've personally always lost the euphoric effect quickly when I was a daily user. The good news is if you go back to 10mg your tolerance should drop relatively quickly, oxycodone has a short half life so you might not feel right for a few days but I can't imagine it'd be much longer than that given you didn't use them recreationally that often. Maybe you could get some kratom for the pain in the meantime?

When you have a relatively low tolerance to opiates it builds up really fast. There were times early in my using days where I would sniff 2 bags and get insanely high, and then the next day do 4 (from the same bundle) and not feel shit. After a while for me, the euphoria completely went away, I would get a sense of well being and occasionally nod, but not really euphoria. On the upside of that though, I was able to get consistent effects off the same quantity of IV dope for multiple years, which I became thankful for. IDK if it had to do with moving to the west coast, but tolerance with tar seems to build up way slower then it does with ECP. Anyway, I know were talking about oxycodone here, and there have been a lot of threads like this. It's not at all unusual, even for someone that only uses once or twice a week to experience something like this.

/And I'm going to move this to Basic Drug Discussion

Mixing benzos with opiates can take the euphoria away.

This is true and I've never liked mixing benzos and opioids, it seems to just add to sedation and not euphoria.

On the other hand, bluesteyes, I don' think you mentioned how grams of oxycodone/apap you had already ingested that day and when? Maybe that had something to do with it? I would recommend laying off the recreational bump for a while if you want the euphoria to come back

Yeah I was a big fan of mixing opioids and benzos (and other things) and found that combined I had to take massive doses of both to achieve the same effect.

ricemaker = I took 10MG at 7am and 5MG at 11:30am. Took my Benadryl and Ativan at 4:30pm, and45MG of Percs at 5pm. By 6pm I had experienced zero euphoria (I normallyexperience euphoria within 40-50 minutes), so I started swallowing additionalpills. It did nothing. I just ended up wasting pills.

Does anybody find Benadryl to be a good potentiator for Percocets? I find it just intensifies the effect and dries my mouth out. The Percocet high really only lasts 20-30 minutes for me. Then it begins to tail off.

I feel the same way about Percocet, the high is very nice but short lived. They're a godsend for pain though. And no, I don't find that benadryl really potentiates oxycodone, just makes it more sedating. People usually use it to increase the nod, but I've never nodded from oxy anyway.