• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

storing LSD in foil - shiny side in or out? or don't use at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushmello

Greenlighter
Some people recommend wrapping LSD blotters in aluminum foil and some say it shouldn't be used for various reasons e.g.: chemical reactions and LSD transferring onto the foil. They recommend parchment paper, wax paper, cellophane or cling wrap. Some people say LSD can transfer onto any other wrapping materials and foil is safer. Some say it will transfer onto anything it touches.

Nobody talks about which side of the foil is safest for the blotter to touch. I have read that food sticks more to the shiny side and the dull side is more absorptive. So if I decide to take a chance on using foil should I be more concerned with sticking or absorbing?

Seems like there's a trade off between wrapping the blotter tight in something to protect it from oxygen or leaving it loose in the ziplock baggy so it doesn't touch anything too tightly but allow some oxygen. I've heard that stagnant air doesn't hurt it anyway and it's only moving air that you have to worry about. And, If I'm not mistaken, there has to be air exchanged between the blotters and the desiccant packets for the desiccants to do any good so wrapping the blotters tight in anything would defeat the purpose of the desiccant packets.

I'm wondering if I should leave the blotters unwrapped so they don't touch anything too tight (maybe sitting loosely in a cellophane wrap from a cigarette pack or some old cling wrap that has lost much of it's cling quality) and just squeeze the air out of the ziplock baggy, maybe even put some ground up vitamin C to absorb oxygen, some desiccant packets and store the ziplock baggy in a glass mason jar. Maybe use oxygen absorbers or spray some wine preservative gas in the jar. Not sure if I want to use any of that kind of stuff inside the ziplock where the blotter is sitting. Then wrap the jar in foil for light protection.

Hes right, I've never had doses go bad. I dont use foil just sealed dark plastic container, oldest doses i had were over a year with little potency loss. For some people acid is hard to come by, so i could see why wanting to preserve it is important. LSD is more stable than people give it credit for though, so don't over think it.

you're overthinking it. if you're that worried buy a small amber glass jar(like for hash oil) and store it in that. unless it's long term storage i wouldn't to worried tbh

I can give you a few hard and fast rules that I use for chemical storage at work.

1) In amber glass/opaque containers unless known to NOT be light sensitive.
2) Oxygen/moisture adsorbent packing used if required.
3) Temperatures equilibrated to room temperature when removed from cold storage.

Basically, anything that cab be done to minimize chemical reactivity or degradation. It all might help. But ya know what? In most cases I'm not sire I'd be able to qualify any degradation unless; a) some other use depended on a chemical and it had failed, or b) I ran specific tests on specific chemicals to test the purity of a reagent.

With storing acid in tinfoil shiny or dull side touching the tab, I'd almost guarantee you that no one could reliably tell the effect of this on long term storage. Mind you, this is an opinion only, and I'd have no problem in being proven wrong. Cost a fair bit of money to prove one way or another.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a subject that comes up far too often, and one that people worry about far too much. Losing a mic or two is not going to be noticeable. I've kept doses in pretty poor conditions and they've worked just fine years later. I've had white paper that has been forgotten about stored in the glove compartment of a car and that somehow became visibly discolored and it was still plenty psychoactive. In blotter form particularly drugs are especially durable, your biggest worry is humidity probably. In solution (i.e. vials) it's much more vulnerable to light and to temperature. Crystal, of course, is the most sensitive of all, but few of us are part of the apex of the pyramid who has to worry about that. Anyway, there have been a bunch of threads on this, but @ThomasDavie, supra, about summed up the best practices, but even those are overkill. The best way to store blotters long term IMO (assuming it's more than just a few hits that could easily fit into an amber vial) is vac sealed at neutral temperatures. If you wanna go all the way though, you're free to store it under argon gas and everything else 8(

Last edited:
Chiming in that I've had doses on paper that have lasted at nearly full potency years and years with little care apart from being stored in dark areas and temperatures under 80 degrees f. In fact, I've gotten myself in trouble a few times dosing too high on old blotter, assuming it would be weak.

Vials of liquid on the other hand do lose potency even when stored in cool dark places and I think they are best consumed within 2 years of creation (not necessarily within 2 years of acquisition).

Nobody talks about which side of the foil is safest for the blotter to touch. I have read that food sticks more to the shiny side and the dull side is more absorptive. So if I decide to take a chance on using foil should I be more concerned with sticking or absorbing?

Check aluminium foil on wiki - there is absolutely no difference between the shiny and the dull side. Wether tinfoil is good or bad for LSD is still open for debate imo. Aluminium is hightly reactive, which is why it is covered with a thin layer of AlO3, Aluminium Oxide, and that is not reactive at all. So yeah, in theory it's not going to be bad for your LSD.

The thing is though, if you're storing the blotters in an amber vial, in a dark place, the tinfoil might be uneccesary because it's only there to keep the light out - tinfoil isn't keeping air out anyway, no matter how hard you wrap it.

Yes, LSD is quite stable, but if you spent a lot of money for your lysergamides, and you plan to store them for more than 4 years, then I think it is a quite good idea to do a little effort to store them properly.

Argon isn't such a bad idea (winesave) But as I said, it depends how much you spend on the acid in the first place, and if you count on breaking the seal to have some fresh acid for new years eve 2025 ;)

In some ways it's better to not have a stash - and just always buy fresh.

Where I live, aluminum foil only has shiny sides. From my limited experience, it has always been stored this and I've had/heard no complaints?

It doesn't really matter. The whole point of the aluminum foil is so that it deflects light.
Since light deteriorates the substance
This can be accomplished with either side of the foil.

The best way to store blotters is to put it in a small ziploc, wrap it in foil and store it.

Thankfully OP was presented with a good answer to his question before shit really hit the fan here.

Both of you - that kind of behaviour isn't tolerated in PD. Such attitude should not be considered representative of this community. If you wish to act like a child, by all means expect to be treated as one.

I apologise for the above disruption mushmello. Given you've received an appropriate answer above, I'm going to close this thread to avoid any more bickering. Feel free to PM me if you've got anything further :)

Status
Not open for further replies.