View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Storing Dried Shrooms

freezie

Greenlighter
I have a little less than an eighth of dried stems and 3 caps in a zip lock bag and in a metal box in a dark cool room. How long should they last before they go bad?

As long as they are fully dried they should be good for a long while

Might wanna wait for someone with more knowledge to comment, as I'm not sure, I would guess there would be minimal loss in potency, if any.

if they are cracker dry and stored with a dessicant in as cool a place as you can find then it should be fine for a few good months. however, ime, a loss of potency will occur, but not by much. in fact, i think erowid have a calculator for such a thing.
personally the longest ive stored them (dry, cool, dark place, but not frozen, and for some time they were rather uncared for) was ~10 months i think and there was loss of potency (~30%)

Have stored cracker dried in a mason jar tucked under the dresser away from light. They have been there for two years now. Tested them once about 3 months ago and there was little if any loss. Also tested one month ago with what I would guess to be about 10% loss. Hope this helps.

If you are worried about it (and your living situation allows it) just toss them in the freezer. Freezer will keep'em nice.

I put mine in a bag then put that bag in a glass jar and put that jar in a dark place.

If you are worried about it (and your living situation allows it) just toss them in the freezer. Freezer will keep'em nice.

Don't do this. It can cause the cells in the shrooms to burst and it'll fuck your shrooms up.

My mom dries those mushrooms in a cooker (not too high temperature, just to dry them), then grinds them in a coffe grinder a little. She then mixes the grinded mushrooms with honey and forms "balls", they're quite easy to swallow and if not, you can just melt them easily in your mouth.

I am serious. About storing them, they psilocin balls (=D) are stored in a basket, put high on the shelf in her room away from sun.

They don't lose much of their power.

Cheers!

Don't do this. It can cause the cells in the shrooms to burst and it'll fuck your shrooms up.

i think this only happens if the mushrooms are fresh (so full of water, which when freezing breaks the cell walls, and upon thawing leaves a big mess) . if they are really really dry, it is less of a concern

keeping them in honey is an alternative, and some of the substances can get mixed in the honey itself, while at the same time swallowing honey covered mushrooms improves a lot of the taste, but this is a bit more tedious and results in a larger volume you have to store away in the end.
while we are at it, you could also extract the alkaloids into alcohol and preserve that...

^^Yeah, I've stored dried mushrooms in the freezer in the past with no problems. As long as they are completely dry they won't turn to mush or lose potency.

Honey is a very nice preservative (edible crystallized honey has been found in tombs thousands of years old), and I'm sure it will keep your shrooms nice. The only issue I could see with the honey balls is that they might melt if they were left in the sun or something.

Just make sure they're very dry and keep them in an airtight container and they'll be fine I took them a year later and they were fine.

If they're cracker dry and kept in a glass container they won't lose any noticeable potency. I've kept them for 6 years and not noticed any difference in dosage levels.

Apologies for the thread necromancy.
Had some dried and ground shrooms stored in amber glass container away from the sun & just tried them for the first time in 3 or 4 years. Only felt very minor threshold effects, significant loss in potency.

Grinding them will expose much more surface area to the atmosphere.

Yes, more compact to store though. I didn't think the grinding would reduce potency as they were stored in sealed jar, evidently I was wrong though.

A long while, years, if stored correctly and dried properly. That, I feel, is the key. Storing and controlling for 02, light, temp, moisture, like most compounds, will push the shelf-life out there. I have been known to store them for 2+ years with no obvious loss of potency. In fact, I know someone who has shrooms that old that would knock your dick in the dirt! ;)