• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Stopping Suboxone medications

RoaminW

Bluelighter
My treating psychiatrist expressed something to me a few years back. He had helped me with my pain pill dependence in 07 with Subutex. I tapered off of it in 1.5 years. When my L5-S1 herniated in 14, I required powerful pain medication once again, and then after surgery I used Subutex again and tapered off in 1.5 years. In 17, when my L5 began rubbing bone to bone on my tailbone, I again had to take pain med again, and after the fusion surgery, I used Subutex once more to taper off in that same amount of time as twice before.

When I saw him at the end of the third 1.5 years, and stopped him from writing another prescription for Subutex, his eyes got wide open with excitement and asked me how I am able to stop taking it, not once, but three times. Until this point in time, I had never known that it was a medication that folks would tend to stay on indefinitely. I was told by him in 07 that it is a 2 year medication, and so I always wanted to stop it before he made me stop it by not prescribing any more after two years.

It was relatively easy for me because even taking a very small amount each day caused me horrible constipation. That’s not why I stopped taking it. I just tapered off because that’s how he said it was done. I did notice, all three times, that once I took it no more, I was in a low for about a month but it was nothing compared to what stopping pain med is like. The hardest part was that month after I totally quit. Going from 8mg to 7mg, and taking that much for a while, and then stepping down another mg, etc., was never a big deal at all, so why would people not go ahead and taper off?

Does anyone know anyone that is seemingly going to take it for the rest of their lives? If so, or if it is you, what’s the reason they/you won’t taper down? Is post heroin addiction a whole different animal than post pain pill dependence?

Let me know your thoughts…

TIA…

Well this is thread # 3 in less than an hour. Sure you're not on stims.......jk jk :rofl:

Never got on Subs ( xone, utex, or uclade ) . Tapering is hard and jumping off is hard..........congrats.

Some people use subs to just get off their addiction and then quit using them because they have stabilized.

Some stay on for life ( just like with m'done ) because they don't trust themselves to get off. It's how they function and they are good with it.

We are all so different.

Well this is thread # 3 in less than an hour. Sure you're not on stims.......jk jk :rofl:

Never got on Subs ( xone, utex, or uclade ) . Tapering is hard and jumping off is hard..........congrats.

Some people use subs to just get off their addiction and then quit using them because they have stabilized.

Some stay on for life ( just like with m'done ) because they don't trust themselves to get off. It's how they function and they are good with it.

We are all so different.
Ok, that makes perfect sense that getting off permanently puts them at risk of using the worse stuff. I hadn’t thought about that. 👍

Well, an aardvark who I met in a Starbuck's dumpster said the only way he'd stop is if he were to switch to methadone. Apparently his chronic pain responded well to opioid therapies. He said suboxone does not have the painkilling ability that methadone does, although he said he knew a LLama who tried suboxone at low levels, like 4 milligrams, of which only 1.25mg is actually bioavailable, and Mr. Llama reported that Sub is great for pain at low doses.

Well, an aardvark who I met in a Starbuck's dumpster said the only way he'd stop is if he were to switch to methadone. Apparently his chronic pain responded well to opioid therapies. He said suboxone does not have the painkilling ability that methadone does, although he said he knew a LLama who tried suboxone at low levels, like 4 milligrams, of which only 1.25mg is actually bioavailable, and Mr. Llama reported that Sub is great for pain at low doses.
If you can talk to animals you should be making mucho dinero in a circus or something instead of surfing Bluelight 🤣 Hallelujah!

Are you doing research for a class or something?
No. I just don’t understand why folks would not want to taper off and quit taking sub because that’s what it was made for and works excellent at doing. Like…why start taking it if you don’t want to stop taking opioids/opiates? It’s a VERY good medication. It is well designed and it puts the power to stop taking both legal and illegal opi’s in your own hands.