• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Stimulants that don't unmask psychosis? Can't use adderall anymore :/

nancy145

Bluelighter
I have major sleeping issues and was prescribed 50 mg of adderall a day, 20 IR 30 XR, for it until I found out I have a masked psychosis. I also have motivation issues it helps with and just like the energy. I'm homeschooled too, and have 2 and a half hour classes a day that end early if I do enough work. I'm behind in my work too, and I work at my own pace, so with all of this you could probably see how useful adderall is to me. I straight up stopped it right when I found out I was a psychotic and didn't have any cravings or withdrawal symptoms, so I'm not looking for something to help me get off of it, just something to replace it with. I'm not looking for anything recreational either, this is purely for medical/semi-medical (like getting schoolwork done) reasons. Everything I've tried researching is linked to psychosis, even caffeine, and I'm starting to run out of hope. Does anyone know of an effective stimulant that doesn't unmask psychosis?

I've never heard of a stimulant, that won't unmask psychosis. Even Strattera or Wellbutrin shouldn't be used.
Maybe modafinil low dose, but even that could be risky.

I've never heard of a stimulant, that won't unmask psychosis. Even Strattera or Wellbutrin shouldn't be used.
Maybe modafinil low dose, but even that could be risky.

just what I was going to say buddy.

Why let psychosis stop you though? I just learned to live with it-you gotta make sacrifices sometimes, you know, like, I prefer being high over trust in my own senses, but that's just me.

To be completely serious though, I really don't know what would work, personally adderall never caused psychosis, but I never binged on it enough at high enough dosages. Every other stimulant drove my mind to the edge of sanity though, and sometimes beyond. If adderall is 'too much', maybe ask for dexadrine (same thing without the levo-isomer which is responsible really only for Peripheral Nervous System stimulation and the physical tweakiness/anxiety), that or Vyvanse might be your best bet (vyvanse is a much harder amphetamine to abuse because it's a pro drug and will only be converted to amphetamine in your blood stream, making sniffing it, shooting it, plugging it, pointless. It also (I believe) is not a drug that you can just stack dose upon dose on top of each other to get more spun out because it takes time to become metabolized and only so much can be metabolized at a given time.

Oh, wait, I just thought of one thats fool proof, can't loose with this one-try MDPV ;) jkjk

MDPV, great idea! lol.

I would agree with trying Modafinil. I haven't tried it yet, but its supposed to keep you awake without any kind of psychological effects.

What type of psychotic symptoms are you having?

I have major sleeping issues and was prescribed 50 mg of adderall a day, 20 IR 30 XR, for it until I found out I have a masked psychosis. I also have motivation issues it helps with and just like the energy. I'm homeschooled too, and have 2 and a half hour classes a day that end early if I do enough work. I'm behind in my work too, and I work at my own pace, so with all of this you could probably see how useful adderall is to me. I straight up stopped it right when I found out I was a psychotic and didn't have any cravings or withdrawal symptoms, so I'm not looking for something to help me get off of it, just something to replace it with. I'm not looking for anything recreational either, this is purely for medical/semi-medical (like getting schoolwork done) reasons. Everything I've tried researching is linked to psychosis, even caffeine, and I'm starting to run out of hope. Does anyone know of an effective stimulant that doesn't unmask psychosis?

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles nancy. Have you tried lowering the adderall dose? As other posters have suggested, modafinil may be the only other option. It is classed as a 'wakefulness-promoting agent', and whilst it is a psychostimulant, it differs structurally from amphetamine.
Failing this, you may just have to accept that stimulants aren't for you, and perhaps investigate behavioural modification techniques. This might require a bit of effort but I think it could make a difference regarding your schoolwork, i.e. managing/organizing time, starting/completing tasks, coping with distractions, maximising concentration & attention etc...
I hope you find a way to make things work for you; good luck.

Edit: there is some evidence to suggest that fish-oil (Omega 3) can help improve ADHD symptoms, amongst other things. Now, it's not going to give you a kick-start like a stimulant will, but it can't hurt to try a course of supplementation, to see if it aids your overall cognition.

Last edited:
Modafinil is annoyingly stimulating, to me it always felt like I drank 100 too many cups of coffee, almost 0 CNS effects but a ton of peripheral tweak. Propylhexadrine is actually a pretty smooth ride, but thats my opinion and a lot of people seem disagree. Like I originally said, Dexadrine or Lisdexamphetamine (vyvanse) are probably your safest bets, don't fuck with any rc stimulants, don't fuck with methylphenidate or dextromethylphenidate, they'll have you feeling like your crashing from crack for hours. Otherwise, try kratom.

Try Intuniv, start with 1mg/day for a week and then up it to 2mg the second week and 3mg the third week, finally 4mg the fourth week.

^clonodine is also prescribed sometimes off label for adhd, similar drug.

^clonodine is also prescribed sometimes off label for adhd, similar drug.

I tested both, Intuniv is superior according to me because it does the same thing as clonidine except it has a soft buzz as opposed to a weird buzz that comes with clonidine, makes you feel like ur 90 y.o. lol