• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Still confused about NMDA antagonist effect on alcohol tolerance

OldMiserableDrunk

Greenlighter
I have read numerous posts here. I frequently read a single response and then spend a long time Googling as I am very new to this. I have seen numerous costs which I thought were stating that NMDA antagonists could slow the rate at which alcohol tolerance develops. Is this information correct?

My story: I was a heavy and daily drinker for about 20 years. Thinking back I can only remember about 15 days over the last 20 years that I did not consume at all. White russians were all I drank. IN 2011, I started really noticing my tolerance increasing. Up to this point 3 drinks a night was fine for me. Granted, those were 3 drinks I mixed and in no way corresponded to 3 drinks from a bar. But never the less, my tolerance up till this point was rarely impacted. Anyway, my tolerance started quickly increasing in 2011 and then I began to have alcohol withdrawals in the mornings while at work. This manifested itself in panic attacks, dizziness, hallucinations, etc. I immediately began to taper down my drinking. Each week I would reduce my drinking by 1/2 of a drink until 8 weeks later I was not drinking at all. Each time I stepped down, I went through the entire range of withdrawal symptoms. All the withdrawal symptoms eventually went away within a few days / weeks except for the anxiety. 4 years later and I still have the anxiety. I've tried numerous ADs and the only change was it got worse. No doctor will give me bentos but after reading much here I'm kind of glad they didn't.

I can no longer take this constant anxiety. Plus, after years of therapy I am still not really enjoying life. I want to start drinking again. However, I want to do it is safely as possible. If I understood the other posts correctly, using an NMDA antagonist might at least slow the increases in tolerance down. Is it even safe to drink while on an NMDA antagonist (using 2 CNS depressants together)? Also, would an ampa antagonist help to reduce or eliminate the alcohol withdrawals the following morning?

Please help me figure this out. I can't live like this any more.

Thanks

after many years of abuse of alcohol what you are feeling isnt out of the ordinary
im sure your brain is still trying to adjust not having alcohol
best bet is to go get checked out maybe after so many years of abuse caused some damage and you might have some underlying issues
if you "stopped drinking" why go back? going back to drinking will make things worse the more you try detox the higher the risk of serious WD and DT's
benzo would would def help if you go to a detox center all they give you is either valium, klonopin or librium and vitamins
i would push as much as needed to get some benzos preferably valium as it has a crrazy half life
if you go to a GP mention what you are going through and im sure they will have some mercy on you but keep in mind it will go on your medical record though
if push comes to shove go to a detox center and they will take care of you
goodluck bud

Last edited: