View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Starter dosage for shrooms?

Benp2312

Greenlighter
Just wondering what sort of dosage me and my girlfriend should take for our first trip? We've done 25i a few times and MDMA, i smoke bud pretty often (i know MDMA and other psychs can affect tolerance, i havnt had either for >1 month. I weigh ~10 stone and she weighs 7

2 to 3,5

For the first time start to eat some, wait for the effects and slowly build up, testing the waters carefully until you feel you're in the space you need to be.

2 is still a good dose that will give you a sense of what mushrooms are about, 3,5 is a strong dose for beginners, but you'll definitely know what mushrooms are about.

I would back up BlueMerlin with starting around 2 to 3 grams for your first time. I feel as though 1gram might just make you feel uncomfortable, whereas 2 to 3 will give you a nice experience that shouldnt be overwhelming.

If they're good mushrooms you should only need 2-2.5g. I would not advise going beyond 2.5g until you have experience of both the psilocybin experience and also the potency of this batch of mushrooms

Several precautions are advisable while using psychedelic substances and an allergy test is one to consider.

I start with an allergy test with every batch of drugs. I have eaten psychedelic mushrooms on dozens of occasions. Whenever I get another batch I start with ~.5 grams. This is harm reduction. The potency of mushrooms varies and certain people have a hypersensitivity too.

Luckily, compared with some of the synthetic research chemicals, psilocybin containing mushrooms are safe.

I recommend 3.5 grams to start out.Most people don't take enough,and end up taking tiny doses.My wife took 3.5 dried grams, first time, and liked it.2 grams would have, almost no effect, on most people I have tripped with.It is not a toxic substance, and can be safely taken even in large amounts.The biggest problem is the mind set of the people taking it.It is not a recreational drug and, parties and lots of friends, is a bad way to take it.Taken alone or in nature, with a decent dose[3-5 grams], is the best way to take magic mushrooms.

Five grams for each of you. The Mushrooms are calling to you. They want to transform you, but you are resisting with your apprehension. You think mazatec indians ate 2 dried grams? Come on, man, they ate till their bellies were full, and so must you. You want to remain a slave or do you want to see reality right now? FREEDOM from mind forged manacles is what you're after and that is what you must pursue, and the only thing holding you back is your fear. Nothing can happen on mushrooms except failure to launch because you're too scared...

You know for a harm reduction forum there's so much bad advise on here.

There is NOTHING wrong with starting out at a lower dose of around 2g (which isn't even that low) before you decide to go with a higher dose.

It's nothing to do with 'launching into the experience', it's about being sensible and trying to avoid the very real and very devastating effects an improperly controlled psychedelic experience can have on a person.

Mushroom strength varies immensely. I had friends going on about how they love taking 4-5g and how even that was a little weak. I was like, what?! They the tried 2.5g of the batch of shrooms I always use and said they had the most intense trip of their lives.

Better safe than sorry IMO, they may be physically safe but I've seen some horrific psychological train wrecks from psychedelics. There's no harm at all in taking it slowly.

I recommend 3.5 grams to start out.Most people don't take enough,and end up taking tiny doses.My wife took 3.5 dried grams, first time, and liked it.2 grams would have, almost no effect, on most people I have tripped with.It is not a toxic substance, and can be safely taken even in large amounts.The biggest problem is the mind set of the people taking it.It is not a recreational drug and, parties and lots of friends, is a bad way to take it.Taken alone or in nature, with a decent dose[3-5 grams], is the best way to take magic mushrooms.

I wouldn't recommend this.
Especially grown-at-home mushrooms can be extremely potent and an eighth could be way to overwhelming for a beginner.

I'm the kind of person where any amount is a trip. I find no difference, for lack of better words, between a ten sak or an eigth. They're just different kinds of experiences. That's really a better way to look at it. A smaller amount has the "whoa, I feel like I'm seeing this movie for the first time" effect, while an eigth has the "whoa im melting into my surroundings" effect.

It's best to just ask yourself what you're looking for.

Think of an analogy to marijuana which you said you smoke, bud. Hemp can be made into gas. You can have a joint. You can do dabs. Or for the straight-folk, you can milk gumball heads, or milk a 40 of steel reserve, or do shots, or have a martini.

What people don't usually understand is that set and setting is a very deep concept. People really only seem to take setting into play with this common phrase. Set is everything. Someone who has eaten mushrooms 50 times will trip off of a small amount, while someone planning a day about it will feel nothing.

It's the same as playing poker. In a serious game, lets say you have no idea how to play. But noone around you knows. You'll end up winning because your lack of knowledge will make you make moves the other players are reading farther into.

But you reach a point where you need more. Everyone is different. One person might need a tiny bit while the other biologically needs more. That's one thing. But some trippers reach a place where they really need to get to the plus four's and all of that. Makes sense.

But to chime back what other's have said, shrooms out of a lot of things, are really hard to know for sure. Some shrooms an 8th or 2ish grams is kind of like a really stable trippy high. But some shrooms, a very small amount is more like a hit or two of acid.

So what you should do is ask other people who have eaten the same shrooms what it was like at what dosage. Shrooms are the kind of thing nobody really lies about. Dunno why. Probably cuz its food-y. You know? People might say this blotter is 300 mics bro, but shrooms they probably had some themselves and they'll tell you.

Best advice i can give though long winded.

It depends on potency, I've ate 1.75 grams and had a full blown visual trip and then I have had shrooms where I ate 3.5 grams and had a body trip.

Just wondering what sort of dosage me and my girlfriend should take for our first trip? We've done 25i a few times and MDMA, i smoke bud pretty often (i know MDMA and other psychs can affect tolerance, i havnt had either for >1 month. I weigh ~10 stone and she weighs 7
If your dose matches your approach (aka 'intention') then whatever happens is going to fit in with your life.
A humble approach with a scaled dose can serve you best in the event that the particular shroom flesh was weaker or stronger than the one that grew right beside it.

Yesterday I had a huge (and disruptive) surprise from 1 gram of albino penis envy that insisted I lie down for 2 hours. Granted the strain occasionally is 2x as strong as others, but some variance in strength of the shrooms is completely not in control of the psychonaut.

I'm going back to more careful minidosing sunday (although one very cute looking shroom is calling to me...). Lower doses are an enhancement to daily activities, similar to a few (or one) toke of weed. Higher doses, produce much more mental ramification with visual and other sensory transformations. The whole realm of effects is fascinating. Explore with awareness and humility.

.75 - 1 grams
agreed.

i personally really don't like the "you should take a lot" mentality for first timers.

best to proceed with caution.

pretty sure dipping your toes first leads to better integration (from what i've seen/ read)... no need to dive in head first, these might become important allies and it behooves us to get to know them, nice and gently at first (imo).

this isn't a race, it's not a dick wagging contest, and imo it isn't a party drug for getting fucked up.

furthermore, some mushrooms are VERY potent. even if it's psilocybe cubensis (the most common found for purchase), some cubies can be SUPER strong.

you also don't know how you'll react. some people need a lot to get there, others only need a little bit to get to the same place.

and if it ends up being a particularly potent woodlover, or panaeolus cyanescens or something, you might be VERY sorry for taking 1/8 ounce (3.5 grams).

shroomies are NOT without their dangers (psychological), and a bad trip could mess someone up for YEARS!

not to scare you, just driving the point home.

a gram or less is definitely a good choice for beginners.

shshsh

Five grams for each of you.
for the love of dung, PLEASE don't listen to this very stupid comment.

Nothing can happen on mushrooms except failure to launch because you're too scared...
oh ffs, please delete this whole comment, for the sake of everyone. it's one of the crappiest comments i've read on bluelight, and i hang out in the dive. TERRIBLE (and potentially dangerous) advice.

can be safely taken even in large amounts
baloney. just because we probably cannot die from an overdose doesn't mean it's consistently salubrious. there ARE potential dangers (in terms of the mental), and so an overdose CAN lead to problems for some people.

Last edited: