• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Stainless v galvanised steel gauze

Swamp77

Greenlighter
In the name of reducing my heroin habit , I've successfully justified a three fold increase in my white (crack) smoking!!! Not sure how much I fkd up with that experiment!! Anyway, I use a brass plated steel pipe from the local off licence , with stainless steel scouring pad bits for gauze. Sometimes only the galv steel pad is about. I know neither are any bloody GOOD for you. I've welder both and the fumes from zinc in galv cause bad poisoning , instantly . Called "zinc chills' cos of flu like symptoms, and I recently learned s/s is reAl bad. ( mercury fumes from laptops are sposed to cause Alzheimer's !) but yeah, anyone know which would be least toxic?? I love the irony of this site, glad to participate ?

I probably shouldn't even reply to this, I only have limited experience smoking cocaine, and I definitely can't answer your question directly. But it seems to me you've already ruled out one of your options through your own experience. But when I smoked I always used the copper brillos as seen here https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41-3RnYCRHL.jpg and never had any problems. I also can never seem to tell wether people are using steel wool or brillos, I definitely know some people are using steel wool, but I've never done it and it seems like a poor option(too thin).

Yeah the chore boy is the best option, but I definitely would not want to inhale fumes from the galvanized.

I'm curious as to what makes up the alloy besides Zinc on most low budget galvinized industrial applications, like that which I imagine the galv. steel scrubbing pad is made up of. "Zinc Chills" sound interesting, from a distance that is.

The most prevalent toxic effect of zinc oxide fume is a condition known as "metal fume fever," whose symptoms include chills, fever, muscular pain, nausea, and vomiting (Turner and Thompson 1926/Ex. 1-1124).
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pel88/1314-13.html

Okay, maybe not.

Well both chromium and nickel fumes( both present in high levels in stainless steel) carry an increased risk of lung cancer, the zinc also causes lung damage through repeated exposure. So neither is really all that great for you.

Metal oxides, even of otherwise nontoxic metals, when in the form of finely dispersed inhaled particulates can cause these metal fume fevers. Even magnesium oxide has been known to do so. And the Mg++ cation is about as nontoxic a metal as you are ever going to get.

You could give the galvanized stuff IF there is no alternative available, an acid bath, and dissolve away the zinc. muriatic acid will do it just fine, or even a long stew over a day and night in coke (theres enough phosphoric acid in cola to dissolve a human tooth if one be put overnight in a glass of coke. Needless to say the coke in question goes down the drain afterwards)

It'll dissolve off the Zn coating layer, then give it a good thorough washing, repeat a few times, to get rid of soluble Zn salts, then dry it off with a flame to burn off any organic residues. Not at all ideal, but better than directly smoking from galvanized steel, ew. Definitely not good for you. Zn fumes are unhealthy for sure. Not that smoking crack is exactly what one could call part of a healthy balanced diet.

Last edited:
Have you considered simply not using a Brillo for your crack smoking? I understand people like the "melt-into-the-gauze" thing, but it's not necessary, that's more from an impecunious urban tradition of broken pipes.

If you can get nice brass for a pipe, you can get a regular glass oil bubbler. If you're new to crack, it'll probably take less practice to get your technique down in the glass than it takes with toxic metal oxides or flammable wools. I mean, keep your head back so shit doesn't melt out the end? Jesus invented bowls for stuff like that.

But I'd go with inhaling zinc oxides before worrying about which stainless steel has how much chromium in it.