• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants St. Johns Wort.

cyberius

Bluelight Crew
I'm taking St. Johns Wort and I've heard it interacts with methamphetamine, should I taper off for a few days before using or can I just use the next day after stopping?

It's complicated. How long have you been taking it, and what dose?

Me a moment to check something, and please, don't double post. It might be an accident, but you have the same thread twice :)

St John's Wort Doesn't seem to affect CYP2d6, so you are pretty much in the clear.

However, it IS an inducer of 3A4, and one or two others, with chronic (or sub-chronic, like taking a moderate-high dose 3 days straight)

Amphetamines are partially metabolized by 3A4, but mostly 2D is responsible, it is the primary metabolic pathway.

So in theory, you could slightly decrease plasma concenctrations, but since it doesn't interfere with 2D, the effect wouldn't be major.

If your worried, simply taking a 2D inhibitor would more than make up for it. Say, half a gram of cimetidine. Amphetamines are very susceptible to such inhibitors, though I admit I know slightly less about methamphetamine, the metabolic pathways are the same.

For future reference, St Johns Wort interfes with a LOT of medications, and can really weaken drugs of abuse if you are taking it regularly.

Good Luck, anything else, ask away

I wouldn't take them at the same time. SJW is thought to be a mild MAOI and have an effect on serotonin, and meth is pretty serotonergic as well. MDMA/MDA should be avoided while on it, so I'd imagine that would mean there's definitely some serotonin syndrome risk with meth too. Rule of thumb is to never mix an MAOI with serotonergic drugs.

I agree with morphine-dreams. I think that would be your main concern in taking the two together, not metabolism. Herbs can be so variable in their effects that I have no idea how serious the interaction could be. I would guess that other people on the web have taken these together before though.

It's complicated. How long have you been taking it, and what dose?

Me a moment to check something, and please, don't double post. It might be an accident, but you have the same thread twice :)

300mg 3 times daily, 2 days

300mg 3 times daily, 2 days

Some people take 900mg 2x per day, double you're dose.

I don't think SS is a problem, unless you begin abusing meth.

900mg daily could reduce methamphetamine blood levels/half-life, but it would only reduce it 10-20%, as 2D is the main pathway, CYP3A4 is only a minor pathway.

And I doubt it would really lower half-life.

You're main concern is taking meth if you already have anxiety/depression symptoms.

This seems, frankly unwise.

But 900mg should not effect it much;
Again I think Serotonin Syndrome is a long shot, but start w/ maybe 75% to be safe, as you MAY(unlikely) eventually need 125%,(moderate induction of a minor pathway)

But again, think about this, and be careful.

Would St. John’s Wort be useful when trying to wean off amphetamines to counteract the lethargy and lack of motivation?