• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

SSRI's help

YeButNah

Greenlighter
I've recently just begun taking SSRI's, specifically 10mg of escitalopram daily for just around 32 days. With New Years coming up, I was interested in rolling with some close friends, part of my safe 6/"covid bubble", in a safe, private environment. I know that the anti-depressants will render me unable to roll at some point, but I was was wondering if there was a time frame? I know that SSRI's take a while to take ahold via bioaccumulation, but for how long? I was curious if any of you know about this, and whether this is worth the endeavor, or worse, if I'm at risk of serotonin syndrome? Trying to strike a fair balance of having a fun New Years but also being safe!

I know that the anti-depressants will render me unable to roll at some point, but I was was wondering if there was a time frame?
The time frame started an hour or so after you took the first pill. The "it could take up to six weeks" talk about SSRIs is for there to be a noticeable improvement in what they are intended to treat, not for them to start affecting the brain.
or worse, if I'm at risk of serotonin syndrome?
You wouldn't be, the risk of serotonin syndrome from the combination of SSRIs and MDMA is a persistent myth. However SSRIs do suppress nearly all the positive aspects of MDMA, so it would be a waste even if not actively dangerous.

Would it be possible to stop taking them for a period before hand, get the effects of the MDMA, then resume taking them?
The time frame started an hour or so after you took the first pill. The "it could take up to six weeks" talk about SSRIs is for there to be a noticeable improvement in what they are intended to treat, not for them to start affecting the brain.

You wouldn't be, the risk of serotonin syndrome from the combination of SSRIs and MDMA is a persistent myth. However SSRIs do suppress nearly all the positive aspects of MDMA, so it would be a waste even if not actively dangerous.

Possibly. With the relatively short duration you have been on them there likely hasn't been too much downregulation. If you stopped it long enough for most of the active drug to be eliminated (at least 72 hours looking at the half life) it might work. This could be disruptive to the course of treatment you are using the SSRI for however.

Possibly. With the relatively short duration you have been on them there likely hasn't been too much downregulation. If you stopped it long enough for most of the active drug to be eliminated (at least 72 hours looking at the half life) it might work. This could be disruptive to the course of treatment you are using the SSRI for however.
Okay, thank you so much for the help!