• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

SSRIs and permanent Gastrointestinal issues

ReadmissionRied

Bluelighter
Hello BL. Around 8 years ago I regularly used SSRI (I believe it was Sertraline) and at one point I started abusing it for really no other reason than being self destructive. I felt like, at the time, that it wasn't working and that even when I took a lot of it, nothing happened.

Well I am not positive, but I believe since that time I've had severe IBS, mainly constipation, that I treat with doctors go ahead- OTC medication.

My question to my doctor has always been the same, was it the SSRI that has caused my gut to be unable to have a movement naturally anymore? I've gotten a colonoscopy and nothing alarming came up at the time.

What do you think BL? I've seen some papers stating that SSRIs could cause IBS-like symptoms, but it's been over 8 years now and I wish I could have normal body functions back again.

There’s lots to link SSRI with gastro issues. I’d imagine your gut flora has been affected and that’s why you’re having issues now. Are you still on them?

Ok well, still, your gut flora has most likely been altered and that is why you’re having IBS symptoms. Have you tried taking probiotics? I have ulcerative colitis and I’m on a permanent Keto style diet, high protein, med fat, 20g carbs. It has helped me so much. Maybe look at your diet. Make a food diary, everything you eat/drink. Write it all down and then write what symptoms you’ve had. After a week or so you should be able to see a pattern and start eliminating foods to see if that helps.

@PrincessDiz that's very helpful. I've lightly done elimination diet at the request of my gastro doctor back when I had my colonoscopy but I never devoted as much as I should to it. I had gone through a period of high protein diet and then vegan diet, neither of which changed my bowel habits. So to that end, I didn't try that much supposing that I had already tried enough.

I will try to keep a food log as you say. The easiest time I had with movements was when I primarily switched to a heavy liquid/soft foods based diet, unfortunately, as that seems to make a difference with the muscle end of things.

I will try to get on probiotics as well as fermented foods

@PrincessDiz that's very helpful. I've lightly done elimination diet at the request of my gastro doctor back when I had my colonoscopy but I never devoted as much as I should to it. I had gone through a period of high protein diet and then vegan diet, neither of which changed my bowel habits. So to that end, I didn't try that much supposing that I had already tried enough.

I will try to keep a food log as you say. The easiest time I had with movements was when I primarily switched to a heavy liquid/soft foods based diet, unfortunately, as that seems to make a difference with the muscle end of things.

I will try to get on probiotics as well as fermented foods
Yeah I’d recommend doing the food Diary. It does seem tiresome but it will honestly be worth it. You’ll notice trigger foods and you’ll be able to eliminate them and defo get on the probiotics and fermented foods. That will go a long way to restoring your gut microbe. Best of luck to you ❤️

Yeah I’d recommend doing the food Diary. It does seem tiresome but it will honestly be worth it. You’ll notice trigger foods and you’ll be able to eliminate them and defo get on the probiotics and fermented foods. That will go a long way to restoring your gut microbe. Best of luck to you ❤

Thank you again for this! Im struggling now but I hope it gets better in the future.