• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

ssri for reducing libido

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i want to reduce my libido. i have sertraline. remind me how long it takes for that effect to start? it happens way sooner than the two months it takes for antidepressant effects, right? thanks

Couple weeks iirc. Some people don't get that effect from those drugs though

You don’t use it to kill libido but just wonder about that side effect, right?

Sertraline prevents premature ejaculation after just one dose but won’t kill your libido like that.

Antipsychotics and opioids are much more "reliable" in killing your libido but also come with worse side effects. I was on venlafaxine 150mg for many years and while it did blunt orgasms so didn't it kill my libido. Morphine did that though.

i want to reduce my libido. i have sertraline. remind me how long it takes for that effect to start? it happens way sooner than the two months it takes for antidepressant effects, right? thanks
I'm not sure why you would want to reduce your libido, but SSRIs never had that effect on me. It just took a little longer to reach orgasm.

Take care,
Dreamflyer

It can take weeks if not some months to really noticeably reduce it and you won't fully, you'll just reduce it a lot. SNRIs will reduce it more IME. But these are hell to get off. And yeah I agree, mostly it just made it take a lot longer for me (drugs like buspar actually counteract this effect including lowered libido). So if people have that issue there's always that drug which is a weak anxiolytic.