• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Spinal pain. Hydrocodone = little effect. Next options

I am in a similar situation. I have a lumbosacral fusion, degenerative disc disease, and bulging discs. Going to top hospital in the state, hours away.
I too am young and the docs say surgery would not be beneficial.
Every doctor I have seen refuses to prescribe any opioid at all. It's fucked up to think this way, but at this point I just wish I could be opioid dependent to be out of pain.

kratom does work pretty well. and muscle relaxants do provide relief. Baclofen, methocarbamol, carisoprodol, diazepam etc

They usually don't push surgery unless your MRI shows a full and horrible herniation. But I had discectomy at age 30 and my mom had it at age 50 and surgeons both told us that it didn't look that bad and that it was "just a bulge"

well in both f our cases when they opened up the back they discovered they were full herniations that didn't show up on the mri.

If anything having had surgery will make the doctors separate you from pill-seekers they are constatnly turning down. I was finally taken seriously after my surgery by pain managment docs and given fentanyl patches, before having surgery It took me years and dozens of doctors to get percocet 10s.

not saying you should take the decision to have surgery lightly, but i regret putting it off as much as long as I did. The recovery period was awful, worst pain of my life. But i have less pain now although still have chronic pain, just not as bad

also just curious about your username, if you want to study chemistry i would go with analytical or computational, anything requiring synthesis is back breaking physical labor for twelve hours a day.

I am in a similar situation. I have a lumbosacral fusion, degenerative disc disease, and bulging discs. Going to top hospital in the state, hours away.
I too am young and the docs say surgery would not be beneficial.
Every doctor I have seen refuses to prescribe any opioid at all. It's fucked up to think this way, but at this point I just wish I could be opioid dependent to be out of pain.

kratom does work pretty well. and muscle relaxants do provide relief. Baclofen, methocarbamol, carisoprodol, diazepam etc

I remember taking carisoprodol years ago... yuck! I hated that medicine. It triggered horrible migraines, and made me so sick I could barely function. Flexiril has always been better for me, but I have to only take it if I get bad muscle spasms, because it too can trigger migraines. I know Baclofen made my stomache upset. It's so weird seeing how some medications work good for some people, and not for others. I was on MS Contin ER 15mg once every 12 hours. That stuff gave me headaches, and I felt tired all the time. I had the doc take me off of it. So far Kratom is really working well for me. I really hope they don't make Kratom illegal in my state. I am just so happy to finally be off the opioid pain medications right now.

They usually don't push surgery unless your MRI shows a full and horrible herniation. But I had discectomy at age 30 and my mom had it at age 50 and surgeons both told us that it didn't look that bad and that it was "just a bulge"

well in both f our cases when they opened up the back they discovered they were full herniations that didn't show up on the mri.

If anything having had surgery will make the doctors separate you from pill-seekers they are constatnly turning down. I was finally taken seriously after my surgery by pain managment docs and given fentanyl patches, before having surgery It took me years and dozens of doctors to get percocet 10s.

not saying you should take the decision to have surgery lightly, but i regret putting it off as much as long as I did. The recovery period was awful, worst pain of my life. But i have less pain now although still have chronic pain, just not as bad

also just curious about your username, if you want to study chemistry i would go with analytical or computational, anything requiring synthesis is back breaking physical labor for twelve hours a day.

Thanks for sharing :)

I too have a bulging disc that looks minor on the MRI, though quite a bit of pain in that location. I get the "it's just a bulge" comment. My age is frequently referenced as if that should have some bearing on the amount of pain I am in.

I also have pretty bad ibs. I'm convinced it's an IBD, or some type of autoimmune disorder that is also responsible for the spinal issues. I have a lot of physical symptoms other than pain - lethargy, extreme weight loss/fluctuation, lots of bowel and stomach pain/issues, nausea and vomiting.

It's all been controlled with so many meds for so long now that I'm sure withdrawal is part of the equation when going without meds. I take Rx benzodiazepine and I'm so so so lucky and grateful to have this and the psych doctor who actually cares and understands.
I've had to use kratom daily for management of pain and chronic diahrrea as all my opioid Rx were cut off, due to no action of my own, rather fear of the DEA.

The state of today's healthcare is saddening

Re: username - I go between chemistry and psychopharmacology. though psychopharmacology is my true passion.
I hope to some day be some type of pharmaceutical scientist and am well on my way!

Gizmodigirl, strange you had such a poor reaction to it, or maybe not. I'm not too familiar with it but know that it metabolizes into meprobromate in our body's.

glad cyclobenzeprine works for you. I don't get any relief from that medicine and the anticholinergic properties are unbearable to me. I don't care for antihistamines either.

have you tried butalbital? Sounds like you experience migraines frequently. Butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine. works well for headache and muscle pain and spasm.

I'm glad kratom works for ya! it's a great herb and I too hope it is not outlawed. That would be a true shame. plus I have no idea what the F I'd do...

Last edited: