View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Spending a Week Deliriant and Disassociated

WhiteDelirium

Greenlighter
So, I had A LOT of free time, easy access to Datura (Jimson Weed), nearly infinite amounts of disassociative antihistamines (I'd die of overdose or old age before they ran out), Ketamine, DXM, and 10 PCP cigarettes.

Now, before you call me stupid, Yes, I am stupid, there's no changing that. :\
ALSO: I'll be posting trip reports for each night when I find them. Think I hid them on the last night (Yes, they're currently on paper.)
My friend recorded everything I said and they were apparently VERY descriptive.

So, June 7th, 2016, around 11 o'clock, I take a gram (1000mg) of the commonly abused antihistamine Diphenhydramine HCI (Benadryl).
This doesn't make me quite delirant, I myself have a VERY good grasp on reality, I commonly am not even scared on doses like that. I've learned how to control it.
HOWEVER: I did feel plentiful disassociation with the world, it was like I wasn't there. I also smoked a PCP cig, don't remember much else, except on scary moment when the room was melting and I SWEAR TO GOD my toe was snapped in half while I was looking at it. Incredible CEV's. And Music WAS SO GOOD.

June 8th, 2016, 6am. I'm coming down, I chug 2 bottles of Robitussin, eat a small thing of yogurt and eat a protein bar. Also chugged a gallon of water.
Smoked a PCP cig. Incredible OEV's, talking to shit, Lost in CEV's, music appreciation was up, deliriant as a motherfucker, and I blacked out. I'm suddenly in the forrest near my house getting roots from Datura, smoking another PCP cig. I take it back inside (process took nearly 2 hours, if I was sober, maybe 10 minutes) and then, I start freaking out. A SWAT team burst into my house, looking for the fried chicken I stole. Somehow, feeling completely sober, memory shot, I tried telling them I ate it. It WAS just a friend of mine coming to check on me, asking if I wanted some chicken. Interesting. Don't remember much else, the trip report will say more.

June 9th, 2016, Midnight. I take Ketamine and Orange Juice, and do a line of blow to stay up. Smoke a PCP cig. Prepare the Datura in to 4 separate tea drinks for later, make a 5th for now. I don't remember this day.

For now, that's all I'm gonna say, I'll post the rest tm as a reply, I have to go to work.

After effects from this: My mind is slow and like a childs. I have a horrible headache, can't shit, can't eat, can sleep easy AF, VERY dehydrated. May have done permanent damage.

Very good read! Made me look into jimson weed (though it doesn't look pleasant). For the future, this stuff belongs in "trip reports" though

Lol.. I'm not sure what to think of this. Definitely should be in TR. A gram of diph? Isn't that a crazy high dose? I only ever took it once when I was a kid and hated it, but I thought I took way less than that and I was fucked off.

Why would you even want to do this? Get so high you don't even remember what you did? What's really the point of taking a journey if you have no recollection of it? And yeah. Deliriants belong in the garbage IMO...

That shit belongs in the TRASH!

LOL

I'm sorry, I am trying not to derail this thread so hard...

But seriously, is this a troll? This is incredible...I mean OP already admitted his stupidity, but a GRAM of diphenhydramine?!?

A GRAM?!

AND YOU CAME DOWN AT 6AM, AFTER TAKING IT AT 11PM?!?!!?

If OP isn't a troll, he's batshit crazy, and this type of post is potentially dangerous, no? What if some kid reads this and thinks "Oh wow, he had such a cool time on a gram of diphenhydramine, and it only lasted 7 hours, so cool, I'll try that out"

Yikes

Diphenhydramine also acts as a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. As does DXM. As do Ketamine and Cocaine. So yeah, not a good idea to combine all of these and give yourself serotonin syndrome on top of a cholinergic delirium.

^^^Eh, Ketamine's affinity for SERT is rather negligible, I wouldn't class it as a SSRI.

LOL

I'm sorry, I am trying not to derail this thread so hard...

But seriously, is this a troll? This is incredible...I mean OP already admitted his stupidity, but a GRAM of diphenhydramine?!?

A GRAM?!

AND YOU CAME DOWN AT 6AM, AFTER TAKING IT AT 11PM?!?!!?

If OP isn't a troll, he's batshit crazy, and this type of post is potentially dangerous, no? What if some kid reads this and thinks "Oh wow, he had such a cool time on a gram of diphenhydramine, and it only lasted 7 hours, so cool, I'll try that out"

Yikes

That comedown seems exactly right. The duration of effects for diphenhydramine is usually 8 hours. And a gram is a lot if you're not familiar with it. But I'm assuming he is. You need to be careful I ended up in the hospital after haveing two tonic-clonic seizures because I took diphenhydramine and screwed with my memory and I kept redosing, forgetting I was already at high dose. Pure delerium. Only remember fragments of it.

Diphenhydramine also acts as a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. As does DXM. As do Ketamine and Cocaine. So yeah, not a good idea to combine all of these and give yourself serotonin syndrome on top of a cholinergic delirium.

Diphenhydramine and dxm will not cause serotonin syndrome. It's extremely weak to the point of negligble. In fact it's actually used to potentiate the dxm by some people.

^^^^this is good advice. Be mindful of taking heroic doses of anything. I have had quite a few ODs on benzos, heroin, and acid (combined and at separate times respectively) that have caused me some lasting health problems.

@girlwithbluehair,

I am sorry you had to experience that, but increasing the dosage to a gram, will almost certainly increase the duration to much longer than 8 hours...I remember back in my younger years, I tried diphenhydramine at 250mg...I took it at like midnight, was talking to myself and imaginary people for at least until the afternoon of the next day...I suppose if OP had a tremendous tolerance, maybe he could handle a gram of Diphenhydramine and have the experience be over with in 8 hours...it really doesn't make sense from a pharmacological point of view though, to be honest.

Diphenhydramine has a half life of ~12 hours in healthy adults...meaning that 8 hours after eating 1000mg, OP still had around 666mg (that's what the math on that turns out to, no lie, not trying to be funny) in his system - quite a devilish amount, to be sure. ;)

Granted, we all know half-lives don't always correspond to duration - a great example I like to use is amphetamine.

But diphenhydramine is hardly a monoamine releaser.

I'm still calling troll on this.

EDIT: Also when people use diphenhydramine as a "potentiater" for DXM, they do it at non "recreational" diphenhydramine doses. To mitigate itchiness, etc. Why is this important? Because mixing "recreational" doses of diphenhydramine with "recreational" doses of DXM is more dangerous (think of why CPM + DXM is way more dangerous than DXM alone - very similar interaction here) but also because, diphenhydramine and DXM compete for the same enzyme in the liver, CYP2D6.

I hate to break it to you sweet heart, but if you're mixing high doses of diphenhydramine with DXM, you're getting placeboed and actually doing the reverse of "potentiation"...the DXM will not metabolize into DXO efficiently. If anything, the DXM will potentiate the diphenhydramine experience, not the other way around.

This means you will not only get "less high", but it will also be significantly more dangerous - DXM(non recreational parent) is a strong (FAR from negligible) SSRI if it's not metabolized into the DXO (the recreational part) properly.

Last edited:
I've never taken the two together, I just know that people do it and was just merely pointing it out. But chlorpheniramine is a well known SNRI, and that is why it's dangerous. Diphenhydramine will not cause serotonin syndrome with dxm. And just because you ave 666mg left in you, does not mean that you're getting 666mg worth of effects like you just took it. There is intense desensitization and upregulation going on in your brain, in regards to the receptor densities for H1 and muscarinic receptos.

And I've always just had it hang around for 8 hours. Even up to 1500. The only time it lingered was when I accidentally took damn near a whole bottle from amnesia. That was about 24 hours.

Who said it was a monamine releaser...? If it was it would stimulatory.

^^^Perhaps I was a bit vague. Allow me to clarify: Monoamine releasers are known for having duration of effects that do not correspond well with their biological half-lives, that was what I meant.

I am well aware of the upregulation going on, but desensitization (more like REsensitization, since we're dealing with an antagonist and not an agonist - hence the upregulation, not down regulation of histamine) to a 1000mg dose will not be complete enough after 8 hours to render 666mg totally ineffective, unless you are already a regular abuser of diphenhydramine.

Please, for the love of God, do not subject your body to this type of thing. 1500mg? My heart cries out.

And diphenhydramine is a well known SSRI as well...you may not realize it, but it is the lead compound from which all research into SSRIs for depression, started from.

And as I said earlier, DXM (IF not metabolized into DXO properly - say in the case where someone has their CYP2D6 hepatic enzymes clogged from diphenhydramine) is actually a VERY STRONG SSRI.

it's binding affinity for the serotonin transporter, in ki, is 26nM. This is actually a higher binding affinity than some pharmaceutical SSRIs.

The reason this is not usually an issue is because a LARGE amount of DXM is usually converted to DXO (which is inert at the serotonin transporter) by CYP2D6.

^Oh duh, you were comparing the two. Don't I sound stupid. Yeah. Resensitization. I don't know why I said desensitization and upregulation together... :/

lol you seem to be under the impression that I take ridiculous amounts of diphenhydramine with dxm. Nope. If I do DXM, I do it by itself. I don't want anything messing with the experience. I haven't taken diphenhydramine in years. That dosage was the accident I was talking about. I know about the dxm being a potent ssri. And people do combine diphenhydramine with it in order to potentiate. I've never understood it, because DXM is a piss poor antagonist of the NMDA receptor, so who would want more of that? I just stated that people regularly take diphenhydramine to potentiate DXM. You can google it and see. I'm not debating pharmacokinetics or logic.

I'm not saying the 666mg is inert or anything, but it won't have nearly the effect of 666mg norally would

Yeah. Diphenhydramine may have help lead to the development of other SSRIs, but that doesn't mean it has much significant serotonergic activity. Woops. By well-known in regards to chlorpheniramine, I was referring to it's potentcy and activity at SERT and NET, which are significant, unlike diphenhydramine. I should have chose my words more carefully. my bad :/

And it was the antihistamine brompheniramine that led to the discovery of the first SSRI, zimelidine. To say diphenhydramine is the lead compound isn't right. They started with the pheniramine structure, not ehthanolamine:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20060604/msgs/654587.html

"Even before the introduction of clomipramine into the clinic, our research group had proceeded with attempts to develop a 5-HT-selective reuptake inhibitor. We discovered a number of non-tricyclic agents with amine-uptake inhibitory properties, acting on both noradrenergic and serotonergic neurons. Some of these agents were found among the addictive analgesics, e.g., pethidine, while others were antihistamines.23 Especially potent among the latter were pheniramine and its bromine-and chlorine-substituted derivatives as well as diphenhydramine.Together with the skillful Swiss organic chemist Dr. Hans Corrodi, who at that time was employed by Hässle (a subsidiary of Astra) but later was promoted to Director of Research at Astra, I decided to start out from brompheniramine in an attempt to develop a selective serotonin (5-HT) reuptake inhibitor. We made and tested zimelidine which proved to be the first SSRI and was patented24 with the priority date April 28, 1971; the publication date of the first (Belgian) patent was March 23, 1972

Last edited:
It's all good! Perhaps there is a little misunderstanding on both ends. Yes, diphenhydramine's significance as a SERT blocker is low at recommended dosage, but definitely does come into play with recreational doses - that's why I specifically said not to take *recreational* doses of diphenhydramine with DXM. A 25mg dose of diphenhydramine is unlikely to affect DXO metabolism to an appreciable extent, and will indeed help with itchiness, etc associated with DXM abuse.

I did not realize, that you realized, taking recreational doses of both was not only counter productive but also more dangerous than DXM alone. I thought you were arguing otherwise! Yes, some people do that, but it is important to be clear about the reality of such things on a harm reduction board, because we have many lurkers, most of whom probably don't have a firm grasp on pharmacokinetics, who read these threads and accept the perceived consensus as truth.

And you are correct! Brompheniramine was the lead compound - this I did mis-state. I was thinking of the fact that, zimeldine was withdrawn quickly, but fluoxetine (which *was* developed from diphenhydramine, not brompheniramine) is still widely used today.

Yeah. That's what I know people to do. To take 25 - 100mg of diphenhydramine to prevent the conversion of dxm to dxo. In fact, it wad recommend on a website called taimapedia to do so. I don't understand wny. Unfortunately the site is no longer operating. You can google "dxm potentiation and taimapedia" and the link comes up but the site won't load. They must've taken it down. That site was definitely not harm reduction. They recommended all sorts of thing to slow the conversion, and people just read it and believe it, and then do it.

Yeah, in high dosages it would reach a plasma concetration corresponding to significant SERT binding. Besides recreational dosages of both seems like it would have deleterious effects on the heart. That's why diphenhydramine is so dangerous. Diphenhydramine is also a sodium channel blocker, which contributes significant cardiotoxicity, and I don't think many people know that. Sodium channel inhibition is what makes cocaine so disastrous and was the reason they took propoxyphene products of the market.

lol just curious, but what did I say to make you think I was a proponent of taking high dosages of both or that it would be safe?

diphenhydramine has been used as the basis for a lot of things - ssri's such as fluoxetine, benzatropine, dimenhydrinate. It's a nifty little substance, I guess.

^^^I am not sure, I probably was just misreading your post - quite sorry.

So silly that some people actually WANT to slow the conversion of DXM into DXO...HERE is a thread posted by someone I was just speaking to about this very issue, he has reduced CYP2D6 functionality naturally, and look at what that did to his experience!!! And from such a low dose...makes me wonder if something else is going on too...

And to imagine some people want to have that experience on purpose, and recommend ways to make it so!!! Ah but can't we all reminisce about the days of youth, where any "altered state of mind" was a cool experience, whether it was fun or not...

Yeah, that's not from an enzymatic functionality issue. I'm a very poor metabolizer of CYP3A4 substrates and it's never affected anything really. I doubt the enzyme functionality turned 90mg of dxm, which is just barely above the medicinal dosage really, into a full on high dose trip. It could be hypoactive NMDA receptors naturally, and the dxm didn't mix well with that. Hard to tell.

"I tried diphenhydramine at 250mg...I took it at like midnight, was talking to myself and imaginary people for at least until the afternoon of the next day...I suppose if OP had a tremendous tolerance, maybe he could handle a gram of Diphenhydramine"

Even on my very first experience with DPH, 400mg, I never saw imaginary people or anything of that sort. Yes, I have a tolerance, but only to the point where it would have been like taking 800mg. Diphenhydramine just doesn't do to me what it does to others. Maybe I just have to strong of a grip on reality? Even at those doses, I can recognize myself in the mirror. The most I get is very powerful CEV's and the movement of objects and lines. Even when objects appear, they kind of look like active camo armor from Halo, so I know it's fake. I blame the imagined SWAT team on the other drugs, personally.

EDIT: AND not too many auditory hallucinations. Knocks, steps, but far and few in-between. No voices.

Last edited:
Damn, a gram of DPH, that's a shit load.

But then again I've heard stories of someone taking five grams and rolling around naked in the street and then fighting paramedics after his wife called them, then waking up two days later in the hospital not knowing what the fuck happened.