• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Space Cakes?

First Guy

Greenlighter
Hi. New poster here but I have looked at the site before for reference. Wife and I are going to Amsterdam, among other places, in a couple weeks. She has never smoked pot in her life (or other drugs, other than adderall which she is prescribed and somehow is never tempted to abuse). I smoked 4-5 days a week in college on average, but haven't smoked with regularity in ~8 years. Only 1-2 hits here and there in passing during times when I've been drinking at parties. I've done plenty of other types of drugs as well including mushrooms, salvia, 5-MeO dipt, so I consider myself at least slightly experienced in drugs more mind altering than pot, but again, all this was years ago. I've also had one or two edibles, but both times they were shitty, questionable items that didn't do much if anything at all.

My question is, is eating space cakes when we go there a horrible idea for me and/or my wife? I am not too worried about myself- we'll start small, but I have no idea how my wife will handle it. I know the standard advice for tourists is "don't start with space cakes," but my wife, being who she is, hates smoke and the idea of having to smoke to get high. Even if I convinced her to just smoke for her first time, I'm worried she'll just not inhale properly and not really get high, leaving me as the only person high and her never really experiencing it. So space cakes seem like a reasonable path to ensure she feels the effects. How risky is this? I don't anticipate any problems eating some myself, but I don't want to be too high myself to take care of her. I see many reports on various sites of experienced smokers being thrown for a loop, so while I won't freak out, I don't want to be completely out of it.

Also (and this is why I'm not too concerned about myself), I have a prescription for lorazepam so I have a fallback if things go bad to at least bludgeon any extreme anxiety. Of course I could give some to my wife preemptively, which I am going to suggest, but will this damage her high? I've combined plenty of drugs in the past and never thought benzos harmed a high, but she has never smoked. My first couple times smoking I never got truly "high." Will a space cake definitely hit her even though it's her first time? I'm guessing very few people combined these on their very first time or two smoking pot. After reading reviews Paradox looks like the credited place for them. I was thinking splitting one would be the way to go, or maybe even less than half for her. Probably just sit in our houseboat to start and then judge what we feel like doing.

TLDR: 1) How bad of an idea it is it to have my wife eat a space cake in Amsterdam as her first outing with pot in her entire life (I have lots of experience but nearly all of it was many years ago)?

2) Will giving her lorazepam for any potential anxiety (or if we wait until she can feel the effects) mess up her first time being high?

3) What are the odds a space cake will make me too high to take care of her if she freaks out?

edibles can hit really hard and the duration of the effects is much longer than with smoking. it would be better to try and find a cafe that has vapourizers for patron use. if you do buy edibles, ASK who you buy from about how much the dose should be and follow the advice. avoid the temptation to double up, it can take a long time for the effects of edibles to take hold (less time if you consume them on an empty stomach)

Yeah I considered vaporizers as an option but I didn't know how common they were and if they were unfavored for any reason. They were just coming around last time I was a smoker and seemed pretty shitty. Also, she gets pretty nervous and using a vaporizer would mean siting in public for a while so I figured edibles would let us start out in private. I guess she will just have to risk not liking it. Just don't want her to hate it. She's already nervous about the idea for whatever reason.

Anyone know specifically about the cakes at Paradox and/or what coffee shops have vaporizers that are easy to use?

Volcano brand and similar convection style vapourizers are the most effective, the effects of those can hit pretty hard but the high tapers off nicely. If your wife is feeling nervous why not take the pressure off by suggesting that she simply accompany you to a cafe so that you can try a vape and if she feels comfortable then she can try some as well?

The space cakes from Paradox are pretty strong. When I was in Amsterdam I ate two and fell asleep with my clothes on, even though I had a high tolerance. So yes there's a chance you won't be able to take care of her. But eat too little and you barely feel anything.

In your case I would buy a cheap pipe and smoke a little bit of hash from it. Even passionate smoking haters generally enjoy the taste and don't have an issue, weed smoke is a bit harsher. Import hashes (Moroccan etc) often have a lot of CBD which is an anti-anxiety cannabinoid. And it's something that isn't available with such variety anywhere else in the world really.

But tbh it kinda sounds like your wife doesn't really want to do it. What if you just smoke, vape, and eat yourself to oblivion and let your sober wife take care of you?

Hi. New poster here but I have looked at the site before for reference. Wife and I are going to Amsterdam, among other places, in a couple weeks. She has never smoked pot in her life (or other drugs, other than adderall which she is prescribed and somehow is never tempted to abuse). I smoked 4-5 days a week in college on average, but haven't smoked with regularity in ~8 years. Only 1-2 hits here and there in passing during times when I've been drinking at parties. I've done plenty of other types of drugs as well including mushrooms, salvia, 5-MeO dipt, so I consider myself at least slightly experienced in drugs more mind altering than pot, but again, all this was years ago. I've also had one or two edibles, but both times they were shitty, questionable items that didn't do much if anything at all.

My question is, is eating space cakes when we go there a horrible idea for me and/or my wife? I am not too worried about myself- we'll start small, but I have no idea how my wife will handle it. I know the standard advice for tourists is "don't start with space cakes," but my wife, being who she is, hates smoke and the idea of having to smoke to get high. Even if I convinced her to just smoke for her first time, I'm worried she'll just not inhale properly and not really get high, leaving me as the only person high and her never really experiencing it. So space cakes seem like a reasonable path to ensure she feels the effects. How risky is this? I don't anticipate any problems eating some myself, but I don't want to be too high myself to take care of her. I see many reports on various sites of experienced smokers being thrown for a loop, so while I won't freak out, I don't want to be completely out of it.

Also (and this is why I'm not too concerned about myself), I have a prescription for lorazepam so I have a fallback if things go bad to at least bludgeon any extreme anxiety. Of course I could give some to my wife preemptively, which I am going to suggest, but will this damage her high? I've combined plenty of drugs in the past and never thought benzos harmed a high, but she has never smoked. My first couple times smoking I never got truly "high." Will a space cake definitely hit her even though it's her first time? I'm guessing very few people combined these on their very first time or two smoking pot. After reading reviews Paradox looks like the credited place for them. I was thinking splitting one would be the way to go, or maybe even less than half for her. Probably just sit in our houseboat to start and then judge what we feel like doing.

TLDR: 1) How bad of an idea it is it to have my wife eat a space cake in Amsterdam as her first outing with pot in her entire life (I have lots of experience but nearly all of it was many years ago)?

2) Will giving her lorazepam for any potential anxiety (or if we wait until she can feel the effects) mess up her first time being high?

3) What are the odds a space cake will make me too high to take care of her if she freaks out?

I'd say no on the space cakes for a first time for a few reasons. I have a lot of experience with edible weed and the high is much more intense and sometimes even includes some mild psychedelia. Obviously, it can be a really great time for someone who is expecting it and is in a comfortable place, but obviously it could also be less than pleasant if your not expecting the intensity, are inexperienced with weed, are in a bad mood at the time of ingestion, or have no experience with weed. Also, although I believe that you will not "freak out", I don't think that if she freaks out which is entirely possible that you would be in any condition to take care of her, in fact, you might start to become paranoid yourself if she starts having a bad time. It sounds like she doesn't even want to take it and if she does take it because you pressured her to, there's a chance she'll have a really bad time and be turned off to cannabis.

Last edited:
I agree she may not want to try. I think she just doesn't want to feel left out. I'm sure we'll figure it out. Stopping in Amsterdam was kind of by chance, so the opportunity for her to smoke wasn't planned. But I wouldn't mind getting back into the habit occasionally anyways since it's less calories than alcohol and probably less tiring. I'm hoping she'll like it. Thanks for the info on the vaporizer and hash.

Also, while I'm at it, how exact are the descriptions on menus over there of the effects of the strains, beyond being indica or sativa? Is there actually any science to the nuances of the type of high or is that partly just gimmick? I live in a conservative state and when I was smoking we didn't have too much choice. I want to be able to go around and do stuff since we're not there long rather than have a more sedating high. Space cakes really probably aren't the best option I guess. Any suggestions for the most energizing and/or clearheaded high?

Sounds like you should smoke some sativa and the wife should hold off until she can try it in the privacy of your home rather than a place she is unfamiliar with.

Usually the menus don't have any kind of description, off the top of my head the only place that did was Greenhouse and those were very general. Your best bet is to ask the budtender, but some of them don't know anything. Others are experts.

There absolutely are differences between highs. The amount of THC is most important but other cannabinoids (like CBD) play an important role. Also the terpenoids/flavonoids modulate the effects of the cannabinoids, changing the high.

For energizing and clearheaded I would recommend Power Plant. But at least this spring it was kind of difficult to find, I think I only came across it in one coffeeshop that was, let's just say not a very high end establishment (can't remember which one). The clientele was like a real life version of "the faces of meth" and the decor was like an industrial kitchen without the ovens and stoves. Very good weed though and it was cheap too. Anyway I suppose there is just more demand for the really strong kushes and hazes and people are willing to pay double or triple the price so, money talks. Some import weeds were pretty clearheaded just not that strong, the Jamaican from Bluebird and Durban from Katsu were especially nice and both coffeeshops are nice too (and have vaporizers, Volcanos at Bluebird and De Verdamper at Katsu).

Also, while I'm at it, how exact are the descriptions on menus over there of the effects of the strains, beyond being indica or sativa? Is there actually any science to the nuances of the type of high or is that partly just gimmick? I live in a conservative state and when I was smoking we didn't have too much choice. I want to be able to go around and do stuff since we're not there long rather than have a more sedating high. Space cakes really probably aren't the best option I guess. Any suggestions for the most energizing and/or clearheaded high?

Obviously, nobody on here can guarantee what experience you'll have with it, or any drug for that matter, but usually sativas give a more energetic high. Anything with more indica in it tends to give a more sedated, stoned, stupid kind of high as opposed to the insightful, energetic experiences that sativas usually give. A good strain for an energetic high is called "green crack", it gives you a very energetic high combined with a sort of trippy, psychedelic touch to it especially when used in edibles. If you want to have control over exactly what type of strain your getting, buy some weed and make your edibles at home that way you can know how potent they will be and also what type of strain you'll get.

When eating cannabis it's all too easy to eat way too much by accident. When I was into using drugs I did this, as have lots of other people.

Ask the people who work at the coffee bars/hash cafes for an edible that's low, or moderate, and then have her eat half of it, or a quarter of it.

It's a different high, more psychedelic in high doses, can be very sedating, and lasts longer than smoking does. If you've used a vaporizer it can sort of be like the high from one of those but depending on if the herb is Indica or Sativa you may get a lot more body load.

When I would use cannabis I did not like smoke either. Fortunately now there are vaporizers, would your wife use one of those?

I was there in August - My partner and I have zero tolerance as we never smoke and found that half a brownie (tried from a few places) give you a nice mellow buzz. Nothing crazy, never out of control and easy to wander about on and just enjoy the city. We actually ate them for breakfast, took about an hour to kick in and lasted a good four hours, there about 6euro a pop so you can either buy a few or pop into another coffee shop and buy another if you need a stronger high.

They do vary in strength though but even on our strongest cake the high was never too much on halfs (would have been a different story if we had ate more than that though).

Are you talking about that crap they sell at headshops. That stuff has melatonin in it. Nothing special really

he's talking about visiting Amsterdam, so I assume he means "space cake" as some type of edible. I don't know much about Amsterdam cafe culture, so I dunno if space cakes are a specific brand, or type of strain, or flavor of cake, etc...

I would not want my wife's first foray into marijuana to be via edibles. I mean, I've been a daily toker for how long now - and I remember specific events, with edibles, where I would even be pretty fucked up. of course, I did stupid things like other drugs/drinking, and the aforementioned pit fall of redosing so many times because I didn't think they were working

I'd go with a vape. the Volcano suggestion was spot on. try any of the old school vapes, really