• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Someone with plenty opiate experience? Side effect?

PsychaStevic

Bluelight Crew
Ok so I'll start this off by saying I'm opiate-ignorant. Once in a blue moon I'll take something but it doesnt do much for me so I just stick with my psyches. Anyways long story short yesterday I took 10mg of hydrocodone and today I woke up feeling extremely constipated. Made for a Terrible day at work feeling like I needed to have a bowel movement 24/7 but couldn't. From what I've read into (correct me if im wrong) opiates have a tendency to cause constipation from time to time? Has anyone had this experience before and how did you go about getting rid of this uncomfortable feeling? Any advice appreciated

Hydrocodone can definitely cause constipation. Drink a lot of water, and eat fruits and veggies it should pass

That's a very common problem but if it is an isolated incident in your case, which it was, then I wouldn't worry, plenty of water & warm drinks like coffee really help stimulate the bowels. Pay heed to your body, it's an early warning sign of NOT to get into the habit of abusing opiates as your bowels will be fucked! Stay safe xxx :)

Yep, normal. I think I've gone about 4 days without going due to opioid use...not fun...

Worst case, go get some otc stimulant laxatives docusate/sennosides and as others have said, water, healthy eating, exercise.
It'll pass, literally

Glad to hear it is a common thing and not just me.....not worth the high I get off opiates I'll probably not take anymore

I posted right before bed last night and didn't even catch my "it'll pass" lol

Strangely enough I never used to get too constipated when I was a heavy opioid user, of way stronger opioids than hydro, that was always like my last case scenario drug if I couldn't find any H, oxy, dilly, etc.. But now being on subutex, I get so constipated and also have trouble some days emptying my bladder as well, it is probably the first time any type of opioid, even though bupe is a partial agonist, has ever REALLY given me this problem.. I mean it usually passes after a while, but sometimes it sucks, like I will be in the bathroom for 15 mins trying to pee but cant, that's more annoying than the constipation to me as far a buprenorphine goes. that's really the only thing I don't like about subs, is that and of course the heinous withdrawls, if you run out.

Ok so I'll start this off by saying I'm opiate-ignorant. Once in a blue moon I'll take something but it doesnt do much for me so I just stick with my psyches. Anyways long story short yesterday I took 10mg of hydrocodone and today I woke up feeling extremely constipated. Made for a Terrible day at work feeling like I needed to have a bowel movement 24/7 but couldn't. From what I've read into (correct me if im wrong) opiates have a tendency to cause constipation from time to time? Has anyone had this experience before and how did you go about getting rid of this uncomfortable feeling? Any advice appreciated

How did I go about it? I sat on the toilet and pushed pushed pushed until I gave birth to a baby arm sized shit. Opioids can cause some super knarly constipation that's for sure especially if you are a chronic pain patient taking the opioids on a regular basis.

Now in your case if a day or two go goes by and you can't manage to have a bowel movement then go buy some magnesium citrate drink which is located where the laxatives are and drink that down. It should do the trick. It's the stuff they tell you to take before a colonoscopy so it should clean you out good.

Yeah, it's normal and it'll probably happen every time, not time to time lol. Sucks but it is what it is. However, I currently use about once a week or so and prunes are really all I need. Just don't take stimulant laxatives unless you want to feel worse intestinal cramps than you would during withdrawal, I learned that one the hard way.

oh yes. you will def be consitpated i dont even think it matters how much you take. I cant remember the last time i wasnt constipated haha

I'm pretty sure constipation is the main side affect from hydro, I see that commercial all the time for the new drug to help stop it if your prescribed opes. Me and a friend lucked up on 200 30mg roxys a few years back, towards the end of the bag and the most thwacked week of my life, I felt like a rock was stuck in my stomach, then I realized I hadn't shit I'm about 9 days. So there I am, toilet side of the bathroom without pants, on the verge of tears holding an enema and questioning it's affect on my manliness. And by the grace of jah, my butthole kinda hiccuped with a 2:00 minute warning till toilet time. With a few solid pushes I dropped a porcelain snake that subway would sell for 5$. It was rough, but it passed her naturally. I still shudder when i see a enema though

Constipation is one of the practically universal side-effects of Opioids. Also, from a medical standpoint, constipation is the most medically worriesome side-effect for the entire class. You really shouldn't be having a major issue though from just one dosage of an Opioid. The issue usually comes into play after a longer term of treatment. If it's that bad, you could always take a laxative, but I would expect you to be back to normal within a day.