• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Someone told me I won't be able to roll properly since I was on SSRI's, how true?

greenuser8

Greenlighter
Basically, I was on zoloft (SSRI) for almost a year, my last dosage was well over a year ago.

I'm gonna do MDMA this summer, and wanted to make sure I'd get the absolutely full effects.

1) Would I definitely get the full effects from MDMA since I've been off SSRI's for well over a year?
2) Someone told me to take 150mg just to be sure, but I think that's a bad idea. I still want to do 100mg and get a normal roll, and I'm hoping they just don't know what they're talking about.

They said: "Selective serotonin ruptake inhibitors block the reuptake of serotonin in the axon. They cause more serotonin to be available in the synapse which in turns causes down regulation of the receiving axon. This is permanent. The brain cannot repair damaged cells but can create new pathways!!! Therefor downregulation is still present. You need more mdma it’s as simple as that"

3) How would I know if I get the full roll experience? An "amazingly perfect" time isn't quite enough proof, is it?
4) Also, is there a chance that because I was on SSRI's for almost a year, that it permanently dampened effects MDMA would have on me? Because that would fucking suck.
ps; I tripped hard despite being on ssri's. Dose was 50mg zoloft.

He is wrong, it is not permanent - it only lasts for as long as you are taking them/they are actively producing an effect. Just dose what you normally would.

They said: "Selective serotonin ruptake inhibitors block the reuptake of serotonin in the axon. They cause more serotonin to be available in the synapse which in turns causes down regulation of the receiving axon. This is permanent. The brain cannot repair damaged cells but can create new pathways!!! Therefor downregulation is still present. You need more mdma it’s as simple as that"
Somebody needs to work on their fear mongering ;) There is nothing permanent about the effects of SSRIs like they seem to be claiming. The brain cells are very good at adjusting dynamically, upregulating receptors as needed and downregulating them as needed.

While on SSRIs chronically, there can be some receptor downregulation (some serotonin receptors can actually upregulate and sensitize as part of the therapeutic response to SSRIs) but receptor homeostasis returns the receptor expression/sensitivity to normal with time off SSRIs.

IMO, a year is more than enough to take a normal dose of MDMA. Often times, some people don't even need e.g. 120mg, especially for a smaller person.

I took sertraline (uk name for zoloft I believe) for two years. Had mdma several months after stopping and it worked fine.

When coming off sertraline I got horrible brain zaps for about a fortnight.
I had never had brain zaps after ecstasy use prior to taking sertraline, now I get mild zaps for a day or two afterwards. Not sure if this is linked to my sertraline use or a coincidence.