• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Some questions about trazodone please

3dmusic

Bluelighter
Hi

I am not knowledgeable in drug science, but I have come here to ask some questions about trazodone please?

I take 300mg (100mg 3 times a day), and want to change to 75mg 4 times a day.
I only have 100mg capsules and there are no 25mg capsules.
I know trazodone is water soluble so I empty three capsules into 300ml of water and refrigerate this, and when my dose is due, I take 75ml of this solution.
If I want to take it outside, as I read that trazodone is light sensitive, I put it in a black plastic container I can drink from.

Here are my questions.

As trazodone is light sensitive, and I cannot avoid exposing it to light, when I take it out the fridge and extract my 75ml dose from, will the trazodone degrade significantly?
I only put it in the fridge because I know light will not get to it. i put it in a black bin liner before putting it into the fridge. If I go outside and have no access to a fridge for a long time, will the trazodone degrade?

I will ask my doctor for liquid trazodone but I don't think she willl prescribe it, due to costs, as she could not prescribe me liquid seroquel when I needed it due to cost.

Thanks for your help.

I think as long as you keep the trazodone solution out of direct sunlight, you'll be OK.
Use a brown glass bottle if you are concerned about light exposure.

And do make sure that all the trazodone beads/powder dissolves to form a homogenous solution, too.

I think as long as you keep the trazodone solution out of direct sunlight, you'll be OK.
Use a brown glass bottle if you are concerned about light exposure.

And do make sure that all the trazodone beads/powder dissolves to form a homogenous solution, too.
Hi

I put the traz powder in some cold water and shook it, and took out a jar ful of 75mls last night, I might dissolve it in lukewarm water next.

Thanks

More questions please

Hi

When I went for my midday dose, I noticed that the water and trazodone in the jar had gone funny.
It looked cloudy but uneven, as if the particles had not settled in the water evenly.

Can anyone tell me why this is please and what I should do about it?

Many thanks

There are insoluble drug fillers in the trazodone capsules, shake your solution well before drinking any of it to ensure it's mixed well.

There are insoluble drug fillers in the trazodone capsules, shake your solution well before drinking any of it to ensure it's mixed well.
Hi, thanks for replying.
Why would they put fillers in capsules?

I gave my solution a good shake, but I noticed bits starting to clump together.

You may want to talk to your doctor depending on where you live and ask about switching to a different preparation, I know in Canada at least 50mg APO pills are available. Mind sharing what country you're from?

Hi, thanks, sorry, more questions.

Thanks for explaining :)

I'm getting traz tablets, and I hope they are not thhose horrible pink round hard to split ones.
Why does my trazodone clump together in warm water please?
I get liitle white bits soon after I have combined the powder and water.

Sorry for asking so many questions, you are all a real help.

Why does my trazodone clump together in warm water please?

Because there is something that does not dissolve cleanly, like a plastic or cellulose or other filler in your capusles, as a bulking agent.

I'm going to leave this open, as it looks like you're getting useful advice, but next time you have a question like this, basic drug discussion might be more appropriate.

ebola