View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Solubility of MET freebase?

Ballz_Trippington

Bluelighter
So I'm having a hell of a time converting some MET hcl to MET freebase. It seems that after adding the MET hcl to basified water the water turns very cloudy which leads me to think that the freebase is the cloudiness but after adding naptha to the mix it seems that nothing wants migrate into the naptha.
I'm using the same tek I used to successfully convert DPT hcl to freebase which I based on a DMT extraction tek. Anybody have any ideas what solvent I could use to extract the MET freebase from the basified water? I have xylene available so I might try that next but I sure would appreciate any advice from anyone who has a greater knowledge about this than I do.
Cheers and thanks in advance!!

MET is chemically somewhere in between DMT and DPT as you probably understand. Any tek or solvent that works for DMT or DPT should also work for MET. If you are getting discouraging indications like cloudiness there might be some impurities. Just save your aqueous phase to be sure you are not flushing your product through any sink, and proceed with conversion and extraction. Be sure to shake up and mix up your polar and non-polar phases and give it a little time so there is enough occasion for the tryptamine to permeate into the non-polar phase. Realize that this only happens at contact surface between the two phases. By shaking and mixing you increase the surface area immensely. In that sense it is different from just basifying DPT water and waiting for the oil to just greet you at the surface.
Freeze and precipitate and evacuate the rest of the solvent to finalize and report back with the result (appearance, yield, etcetera).

Good luck!

I will give it another try! Thank you so much for your response! It is strange, I did a dpt conversion side by side as I attempted the MET conversion. After adding the naptha and shaking and letting it settle, the naptha remained totally clear and I didn't even attempt a freeze percipation. It's just that Whdn I've done a DPT conversion or a DMT extraction the naptha always shows that the tryptamine is in the the solvent by the colour change. I was just surprised that it remained clear no matter what I did to mix/shake.
I will give it another go.
Note: this is that red MET that does appear to have significant impurities.

Without going into vendor / source discussion I do believe there is some nasty ass MET product circulating, probably in the same circles where dirty DPT is circulating, perhaps in some cases with the option of a washed version of said DPT.

I am actually now questioning if this red MET is MET at all... After a 2nd attempt , it seems totally insoluble in naptha even after applying heat and repeatedly shaking and letting settle for over 60 mins. The naptha was still crystal clear, freeze precipitation yielded nothing as did evaporating the naptha. It looks like whatever was released into the basified water is still there, it even sort of looks like crystals! But nothing wants to move into the solvent???
I will try one more attempt with xylene to see if I can liberate the mystery chemical from solution.
Very baffling!

I think it was indeed established that the red MET wasn't MET at all, or just extremely impure. There's 2 European sources that has pure white MET for sale. But it doesn't sound like what you got.....

Nope, I've only ever ordered domestically (North America) but it's really strange because most (maybe all?) Typtamines should be soluable naptha? Correct? I'm just really wondering what the hell this stuff is???
It seemed to form crystals as soon as it was shaken in basified water but that's it. It is orally active as the red gunk but it required a lot of material for threshold effect.

You could try subjecting it to Ehrlich's reagent to check if they are indolic, indicating it would be a tryptamine at all.

And generally speaking yes: Most if not all freebase tryptamines should be soluble in non-polar solvents like naphtha.

We don't really allow ID discussion but it is possible the synth reaction was far from complete and you got NMT or the less likely NET. The explanation would fit as far as I can tell. I received very orange-brown-ish 5-MeO-DMT once and intensely purple or brown DPT are certainly not unheard of, might be a similar story.

So I tried another freebase conversion of this impure red MET from the French Canadian vendor. This time I attempted to convet 10 grams of MET hcl.
On my first attempt I think I used way too much sodium hydroxide due to a math error and also the MET is very impure so I re did everything (dissolved 10 grams of impure red MET hcl into basified water) and then added naptha and spent a lot of time shaking and letting settle, again after adding the MET to basified water it went cloudy and all the red gunk floated to the top.
This time I noticed that the naptha was just slightly yellow so I evaporated it and low and behold! Just a bit of yellow oil. I have not yet tried it but I will report back if it is active or not.
I was so stoked that I got a result at all this time that I attempted another conversion, this time with 15 grams of red impure MET hcl and then used toluene instead of naptha just to see what the result would be and this time the toluene turned very black and seemed to absorb a lot more than the naptha which was almost clear.
After evaporating the toluene I was left with a medium ammount of black oil.
I am off to a festival for then next week but I will report back after I try them!