• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

sodium valproate effects on the male endocrine system

vision conquest

Bluelighter
I hope this is the correct place to post this question, sorry if it is not.

I have recently started sodium valproate, prescribed by my doctor at a low dose, I won't go into the reason for the prescription here simply for brevity, I discuss the reasons for which I am using it in my thread in the darkside if anyone is interested.

My question is regarding what I have read about sodium valproates effects on the male endocrine system.

I have read that it is an antagonist at the androgen receptor, actually classified as an anti androgen.

I have also read that it is quite a potent aromatase inhibitor, which obviously leads to a reduction in estrogen, which normally would then lead to an increase in testosterone.

Apparently it can also directly stimulate androgen biosynthesis in the gonads, via a mechanism I am not familiar with and so can't quote from memory here, however this results in increased 4-androstenedione levels.

So is anybody familiar with this compound, in general, but particularly in regards to it's effects on the male endocrine system, is it likely to crush my testosterone levels or maybe increase them?

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

It didn't suppress testosterone as much as morphine does but would say it does something. For me, this isn't only bad because of good anti-impulsive effects on the mind but with time muscle wasting becomes a problem. If you do sports, this might be avoidable.

Yeah, I read too that it was an antagonist at androgen receptors at very low doses but maybe of low affinity? Otherwise we would see more typical symptoms specially in epileptics who are on high doses for long time but docs I have asked didn't even know about..

But that's only anecdotal reports.

Yes I believe the effects long term opioid use have on lowering testosteron can be largely attenuated by a good physical training routine.

I have been on the methadone program for over 20 years and a few years back I had arms just over 18" and there was very little fat on them, I had a 130kg/290lb bench press at the time.

I have had a few small stumbles since then during which my training obviously suffered but I am still in pretty good shape at about 200lb at 5'10, when people meet me they regularly make comments like, you must know your way around a gym.

I guess I will find out how the valpro effects me, I am only on a low dose