Mental Health Social Anxiety and Antidepressants

LogicalPoop

Greenlighter
Hello guys, I am new here so I guess to start with, thank you for the time reading this. I am here to pretty much ask for some advice.
I am 24 years old, soon to be 25. I have had social and generalized anxiety for the past 5 years. I tend to think that it stems from my pot smoking usage. I started smoking herb since I was nearing 19 years of age. At first I just went to my general family practitioner in order to get benzos, basically to abuse them and get high. Claiming I had anxiety which I didn't even know how it felt at the time, I ended up getting put on Prozac and givin' a months worth of .25mg Xanax while the Prozac took affect. I gave it a few weeks but it made the back of my head hurt, so my doctor switched me to klonopin to take 3 times daily, solo no Prozac.

I ended up taking them for about a year and half. But I still smoked bud, I started snorting coke and doing some psychedelics. I then started going to an outpatient rehab clinic, having been disgusted on how I was feeling and going in my life. I was completely clean for a 2 month period, besides taking Buspar for anxiety since the rehab facility didnt allow benzos.

After I left rehab I started just smoking weed again. Things got better for me, I got a better job, my own apartment, but one time at work, I passed out and had an upper body convulsion caused from an angry customer (I work in retail) I got a lot of tests done, and ecg test as well, and everything came back normal. I was put on lexapro 10mg, but immediately upped it to 20. It really helped me alot with my anxiety. I still smoked weed, often too lIke 4+ times a day and after a few months I started getting anxious again at work, and while I tried to sleep. I recently went to the doctor for a check up, and I asked to be put on valium which I did, I take 5mg as needed when my anxiety starts to peak certain days, as well as continue using my lexapro daily. My question is should I stop or at least cut down on my smoking ? I feel like it's causing it, but if I don't smoke for a bit, like half a day?, I feel sick.

I use to smoke all the time from my teens until my mid 20's. By that time it would just give me horrible anxiety and paranoia, so I gave up on it and never looked back. You might want to try getting off the weed which may be a big help.

Sorry to hear what you're going through.
I smoked weed A LOT from 18 up. I switch my drug of choice from that to opiates in '05. Not once has pot caused me to do anything near that at all. Only mellow me. I responded because I wanted to say, each of us is different. I think you know your body best. If you think it's that then perhaps it is. Btw feeling sick from not smoking weed? I am not versed enough in. I've not had doing it or not doing it symptoms.

Sorry to hear what you're going through.
I smoked weed A LOT from 18 up. I switch my drug of choice from that to opiates in '05. Not once has pot caused me to do anything near that at all. Only mellow me. I responded because I wanted to say, each of us is different. I think you know your body best. If you think it's that then perhaps it is. Btw feeling sick from not smoking weed? I am not versed enough in. I've not had doing it or not doing it symptoms.

The thing with me feeling sick for not smoking, is that I think it stems from my tolerance. I cant exactly explain but here is what I do know, the other day last week I tried not smoking before I go to work at 11 am, which is my first toke of the day, and my anxiety spiked during work, my hands got clammy, cold sweats under my pits and feet. I immediately smoked on my break, and felt alot better. Feels like an addiction withdrawal, like from benzos. Im thinking about just tampering off for a bit, instead of just smoking so much, just smoking 1-2 bowls a day and then just skip in between days. I appreciate all you guy's input.

My nephew goes through something like you're describing. I see him physically and emotionally transform but I always thought it was his age and inability to score (crudely, a temper tantrum). I'm not implying this is your situation at all. With help he discovered it wasn't the lack of substance but knowing he won't have it, anticipating how to do this or that sober and worrying about how to get it... He was causing his own anxiety, though unaware do so.
For you, I'm stumped really. I truly empathize with you. If you think cutting back will help or give direction then I say go for it! I'm also eager to know the results you have.
Warmly,
C