• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sobriety & Bordom That Comes w/ It

bipolar-sunshine

Bluelighter
I've recently decided to quit using drugs (coke & any opiate I could get my hands on,) mainly for financial reasons, as I have always been a highly functioning addict. I always had justttttt enough self-control to make sure I stayed employed, paid my bills on time, had a place to live, most people didn't know I was using, etc. I was using opiates (most of the time, roxies,) daily, and if I couldn't get any of those, I'd buy a dub or half g of coke. Now why was I abusing the pills? I would attribute it to mainly self-medicating before I started on psychotropic drugs. The coke on the other hand was always a filler for me because I couldn't stand to spend the whole day sober. So as you can imagine, the combination of $deleted roxies (that I would have to take two of...) or spending $deleteda day on coke fucked me financially, but like I said, just to the point where I could still pay what I had to pay for like rent and whatnot.

The problem with staying sober is I find myself quite easily getting bored and as most of you know, boredom can really hurt with staying sober, especially for me. I try to keep as busy as possible, but sometimes I just end up with downtime and this is really what fucks me over.

So I guess what I'm really asking is does anyone have any suggestions to help with staying sober when the boredom creeps in and then cravings following. I've deleted my dealers number but I have little self-control and I could use Facebook to get it back and this worries me as well as I need to save up to pay off some credit card debt and student loans and the like.

Any tips or support is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same I spent all day being sober n bored out of my mind. Then I popped a valium just now at 10pm beedtime after so long. I know it's just 1 pill but now I'm like wowww w hy the fuck did I just do that? If i done it earlier at least i could have taken advantage of it. Im still bored but now I'm also angry at myself. Now I'm gonna go stuff my self with food (munchies) and pass out. Its like when an anorexic starve themself all day and then pig out at midnight. gonna Try this sober thing all over again without fucking up at the last min . Hop to see some answers tomorrow.

Down time is definitely an issue you need to address. The first thing you should do is try to find small activities to occupy downtime during the day. Theres plenty of things like going for a walk or getting coffee just things to do that kill 30 minutes or an hour can help greatly.

The other thing all drug addicts need to get over (and i had to as well) the idea that you need to be doing something almost all the time, that is simply not true. There will always come a time during the day or a point in life where you find yourself not doing much, i try to be happy i found myself in a time where i am not doing something. So it use to kill me not being able to sleep or waking up at 5am randomly as a junkie because all i would think about is dope. These days if i wake up or find myself in a situation with nothing happening i remember how terrible that was as a junkie with no opiates, I would rather have nothing to do in my life then be sick.

Unfortunately there is no one who can tell you what small activities will help you get through the day. I generally load my days with planned activities just because it prevents me from smoking weed all day on my day off. I find if I literally make a schedule full of things i will do the day flies by, i accomplish tasks so i feel like im making progress, and delaying the gratification of smoking weed is as fun as indulging in weed itself. It just takes some getting use to in a sense (off heroin for almost 2 years)

I definitely know the feeling. I quit heroin 10 months ago (after 18 straight years of use), and even though I am on Oxy now, due to multiple surgeries and complications, I take it as prescribed. Having nothing to do drove me insane at first, until I found various things to occupy my time and attention (like following the 2016 election; that's addictive in its own way), reading, conversing with ppl on social media, etc. When you're doing something to take your mind off of being sober, time goes faster, at least for me. It may take you awhile to find activities that will distract you, and that you find enjoyable, but you'll get there, believe me. :)

Boredom is the killer for me.

As being a Benzo & Opiate addict for the past 7 years has left me void of many of my interests/hobbies and alienated friendships etc. I just literally do not know what to do with myself most of the time. My mind is a blank :( Go to work, come home, sleep, repeat. Then weekend comes and.... ?

Yeah, boredom is what gets me. If I'm not staying busy, I want to get high. When I'm busy, I'm fine. The problem is also finding the motivation to actually go and do something too.

Yeah, boredom is what gets me. If I'm not staying busy, I want to get high. When I'm busy, I'm fine. The problem is also finding the motivation to actually go and do something too.
Ya it's deffo the boredom. I havw to replace my chemical addiction with another addiction like exercise or binge watch series or play some dumb online game and get addicted to that. Either if its not drugs its something else. But when that something else is not there, boredom is present . My parents are workaholics. We always gota be addicted to something. It's life.

Problem is I can't even find pleasure in watching tv or playing games like I used to. I can when I'm on drugs, but I'm just so fucking restless sober it's quite annoying more than anything. Yeah, I agree, you basically have to replace one addiction with another.

Problem is I can't even find pleasure in watching tv or playing games like I used to. I can when I'm on drugs, but I'm just so fucking restless sober it's quite annoying more than anything. Yeah, I agree, you basically have to replace one addiction with another.

Do you work? Not trying to be offense, and I don't know your situation, not judgin but if it wasn't for me having to go to work I would still be on opiates. It's hard enough to stay off when I'm not working. If I was home all day I would be in trouble.