• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

So......

LOGan1314

Bluelighter
My cat I had for 16 years had to be put down today. I'm really sad.

The doctor injected him with ketamine before giving him the deadly anesthetic. What kind of effect did the ketamine have on him? Was he dissociated/slightly tripping out like I have been on ketamine? Or is it more of an opiate feeling for our four legged furry friends....I just want to know how he felt before going away.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know that when one of my 3 cats eventually passes, it won't be easy for me :(

I think ketamine, in veterinarian medicine, is like a pre-anesthetic. I think he probably felt great for a few seconds, before falling asleep. I'm sure he was very peaceful and content. And lived a good life, having had such a thoughtful and caring owner.

Last edited:
The ketamine dose they use for that is probably high enough to. completely knock a cat out (like propofol injections in humans before surgery). And my bet is that the Lethal injection probably a barbiturate (like pentobarbital, which is very potent and used for capital punishments as well if I'm not mistaken).

Ketamine itself is an anaesthetic. A strong enough dose will even knock humans out. They used to give ppl ketamine instead of propofol for surgeries as an anaesthetic. Often paired with midazolam because of midazolam's amnesiac effects, incase the dose of ketamine was indeed not strong enough to ko a patient, the midazolam would make sure that you'd forget about the altered state of consciousness you were in because of the ketamine. Not sure how they do it now with propofol (as in, is midazolam still added to the anaesthetic)?

In any case, sorry for your loss. It sucks to lose a pet even if they've lived a full and happy life, it still hurts to lose them.

sitting here with my cat loving me right now...i'm sorry for your loss. I know it can be harder than losing a family member even as they give you much more love.

Your cat probably felt amazing for about 1 or 3 minute then: didn't remember anything/had an amazing anxiolytic dream where he met god or was at least confronted with a dream filled with mice/fish/and food AND YOU!! (what they care about)...then the barbs came in and put him to sleep. IMO they are capable of about the same feelings/experiences as we are....i know i love a good dose of ket and barbs

Sorry for your loss. I lost a dog 3 years ago and it was a very sad time.

I've since gotten another dog that was unplanned. He has fit so perfectly with our family. We have 4 cats that are 11, 10 and 4 years old. I don't look forward to the eventual losses. But they give so much while they are with us.