• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids So many counterproductive opiate withdrawal threads!

DickMcWickland

Greenlighter
I'll try to keep this concise.

Throughout my heroin addiction, these boards have been a great resource for information on how to manage and overcome withdrawals. As a high dose user, cessation of IV heroin comes with some uniquely unpleasant symptoms, and I'm very thankful to those who've contributed to this deep repository of tactics for ameliorating those effects. That said, it's a bit disconcerting that for every valuable post concerning the management of opiate withdrawal symptoms from long-term, high dose drug abuse, there's five other threads involving a new user voicing their concerns about coping with withdrawals from a few weeks or even days of opiate use. Don't get me wrong, drug abuse shouldn't be taken lightly and I don't deny it's imperative to catch these things early. It's just that, I'm speaking from experience when I say it's entirely counterproductive to entertain this unfounded paranoia. In my experience, serious withdrawal symptoms did not present until several months of high dose daily use, and were entirely bearable up until the two year mark of unsustainable IV abuse.

Here's a sample: "I've been using heroin for 10 days, totaling just over half a gram of east coast powder during this time. I have one suboxone strip, several clionidine pills and a total of 10mg of Xanax. What would be the best way to use these medicines to detox and what kind of discomfort should I anticipate?"

To my dismay, the above scenario isn't generally answered with a resounding, "it is unlikely you will experience any real perceptible withdrawals. If you continue using, you will regret it, however, at this point, your use of heroin should not present any problematic symptoms upon cessation. Therefore, the best course of action would be to stop cold turkey immediately and try to rest up and eat well, while focusing on your happiness via constructive hobbies. Using the medicines you have set aside will only prolong the ordeal and instead you should focus on exercise and supportive friendships."

Instead, typical responses involve unfounded speculation about the withdrawal symptoms this person should anticipate and how to use hardcore prescription drugs to negate them. Even worse, many posters recommend long term opiate replacement therapy! I remember when my use was limited to a two month oxy run at ~30mg/day and I came on Bluelight to search information on what to expect when stopping; reading all these threads scared me shitless, and I'm now embarrassed to admit, I continued using just for the purpose of avoiding the nonexistent withdrawals I wouldn't have even experienced. I know this because when I did finally stop a month or so later, I only experienced a couple days of lethargy and depression. To clarify, this was a 100 day run or so, far longer than those discussed via countless threads perpetuating an irrational fear of cold turkey withdrawal after just a few short days or weeks of use.

Hell, even after two years of a gram or two of high quality IV dope use, the withdrawals are admittedly bearable, although unpleasant and certainly an impediment to my functionality. I am freezing cold, pissing and shitting constantly, aching, anxious and depressed, lethargic, and nauseated. Even so, I'm still able to sleep with high doses of antihistamines and if I have benzos and/or clonidine and/or gabapentin/lyrica, the severity of the entire experience can be reduced to 96 hours of comfortably watching TV in bed.

Fellow veteran opiate addicts, please stop coddling these people and perpetuating this destructive cycle through paranoia and fear. And while you're at it, regarding your own battle with addiction, why don't you at least try maybe smoking a bowl and having a Valium or two before you resort back to subs or methadone? Put aside all the withdrawal horror stories you've been reading on here and try not to add to your own anxiety before you at least try getting to the 48 or 72 hour mark of clean time. Remember, a satisfied customer just goes about their life in silence, while an irate customer wants to shout their experience from the rooftops. In other words, there's plenty of people who come off long term, high dose opiate use without enduring a nightmare, but you're statistically less likely to hear those types of stories on these sites; that's just how it goes.

TL;DR: don't believe the hype resulting from all the threads about managing opiate withdrawals following only a few short days, weeks, or even a couple months of drug abuse. An opiate hangover is not withdrawal and you don't need an advanced drug therapy plan or coping strategy to endure the effects of cessation. You just need to find something else, anything else to do while you rest for a few days and move on with a better, drug free life. You don't need methadone, subs, or any other prescription comfort meds, although there's admittedly no shame in a couple days of clonidine or gabapentin if you really want to ensure a painless transition back to sobriety. Don't buy in to the nonsense and never justify continuing your drug abuse just to avoid withdrawal symptoms because you haven't been using long enough to worry about it and that's a fact!

Last edited:
I have to agree with pretty much everything you've said - however - rational prevention is certainly better than a cure. Fear-mongering and over-reactions to short term dependencies are harmful - as, IMO, are speculations about the progression of a persons mental addiction. Therefore, it's probably best HR to say most of what you've said - but - I'd definitely leave out personal experiences like

"even after two years of a gram or two of high quality IV dope use, the withdrawals are admittedly bearable, although unpleasant and certainly an impediment to my functionality. I am freezing cold, pissing and shitting constantly, aching, anxious and depressed, lethargic, and nauseated. Even so, I'm still able to sleep with high doses of antihistamines and if I have benzos and/or clonidine and/or gabapentin/lyrica, the severity of the entire experience can be reduced to 96 hours of comfortably watching TV in bed. "

I've never done heroin, in fact my addiction is to "weaker" opiates, but I can bet my life savings if I had that habit I would not have 96 hours of comfortably watching TV in bed with a few meds. I would have been in hell.

in the same threads you see a lot of other users saying 'that's fuck all', 'man up', stop being a bitch and ride it out' etc. this is also sometimes counter-productive and although you put it in an informed way, you seem to lean more towards that opinion.

i've worked many 12 hour shifts when in heroin withdrawal and although it is do-able, it is fucking awful. some users are far more badly addicted than others and the fear of going without drives them to over-think and over-prepare and prolong withdrawals with ORT.

ultimately, you're right - some users do over-react, but you are basing a lot of what you're saying is from personal experience.

i know for a fact if i used half a gram a day for a week, i'd be fucking miserable afterwards. and i am what you would probably call a fellow "veteran" with quite some clean time under my belt.

for me, a warm bed, a laptop, and valium are the three big ones, but if i have to work i'll use anything i can to avoid the sweaty, terrifying drudgery of opiate sickness. I HATE IT!

how long have you been clean for, OP? it comes off a little preachy.

I'm not clean and I'm not being preachy. I was being serious when I said I believe I lost my one and only chance to get off opiates because I continued my use for fear of withdrawals until the point that I was so mentally addicted I'd pawned all my shit and ruined my life. During this time, I inexplicably found the will to go 72-96 hours through the worst of it with the help of gabapentin only and experienced not a single wd symptom beyond lethargy.

If this inaccurate information bothers you, the best way to counter it is to keep an eye on these threads and bring it up in discussion when you see it. A lot of people put their time and experience into trying to help people on here.

While i certainly agree that people don't become physically dependent anywhere near that quickly the first time they use opiates daily - there are huge variations in individual responses because individual experiences vary so much; especially in people that have previously been addicted.

Your point may be valid, but i'm afraid threads like this don't tend to achieve what you would probably like it to - that is, the people that could benefit from reading it probably won't see it.

If you think there is a general issue with the way certain topics are discussed and the advice given, i really think the best way to make a difference (and a positive contribution to the information shared within the community) is to post regularly in the threads you have a knowledge and interest in.
It might seem tedious to answer the same kinds of questions all the time, but you may make a big difference in at least some people's experience with - or recovery from addiction. Or prevent an addiction from taking root in the first place.

If you make good contributions to the discussions that happen to differ from the standard responses, you might find other regular posters learn something from you and pass it on.

I appreciate what you're saying, but really don't think you can change much without getting involved in lots of the discussions you mention. I don't mean to sound dismissive or patronising - far from it - i encourage you to post more if you think the advice people give and receive isn't helpful as it could be.

I have to agree with pretty much everything you've said - however - rational prevention is certainly better than a cure. Fear-mongering and over-reactions to short term dependencies are harmful - as, IMO, are speculations about the progression of a persons mental addiction. Therefore, it's probably best HR to say most of what you've said - but - I'd definitely leave out personal experiences like

"even after two years of a gram or two of high quality IV dope use, the withdrawals are admittedly bearable, although unpleasant and certainly an impediment to my functionality. I am freezing cold, pissing and shitting constantly, aching, anxious and depressed, lethargic, and nauseated. Even so, I'm still able to sleep with high doses of antihistamines and if I have benzos and/or clonidine and/or gabapentin/lyrica, the severity of the entire experience can be reduced to 96 hours of comfortably watching TV in bed. "

I've never done heroin, in fact my addiction is to "weaker" opiates, but I can bet my life savings if I had that habit I would not have 96 hours of comfortably watching TV in bed with a few meds. I would have been in hell.

Regarding the last part of your post, this is exactly the type of unfounded hype I'm trying to combat here. Are you sure you'd be in hell or are you just assuming the solution to such an unpleasant acute sickness can't be a couple easily attainable prescriptions? Have you actually tried combining a high dose of gabapentin with a smaller dose of clonidine or a benzo at the onset of withdrawal, while continuing to redose every 6 hours for a few days?

While I'm positive my thoughts on managing the acute stage would be effective in keeping it down to a dull roar, regardless of addiction severity, we all know it's not the acute withdrawal that gets you. I've probably made it beyond this phase 8 times or more in my two plus years of opiate abuse, only to promptly rationalize going back out to score and starting the whole cycle again. Now that's a better definition of hell. This epic soul crushing conundrum I now find myself in is what served as the catalyst for this thread. Stop now, get out while you can, etc. Wait and see if you really get dopesick, you won't be thrust into an inescapable nightmare and you'll be better for actually trying to gauge your own symptoms before attempting to manage them. Even if your symptoms are fairly unpleasant after a short run, have faith that a couple easily available prescriptions will sort you out and just accept a couple days of lethargy and general weakness. Focus on a long term recovery plan to move on with a better life. The acute stage of opiate withdrawal, for now, is a trivial matter and one you'll only hurt yourself fixating on.

OP has some good points. The best way to sum all of this up, is that withdrawal is relative just like everything else, depending upon a given person's perspective. Someone who's had a 3g/day heroin habit is obviously going to laugh at a 40mg/day oxycodone habit, but that's just because he's been so much worse. Drug withdrawal is such an attack to your mind and body at any level that it has the potential to make both the high-end user and low-end user really "hate their lives".

Aside from adjusting potential dosages of medication based upon history, I think it's appropriate to treat any bout of withdrawal as being a shitty experience that nobody ever wants to go through.

I see where you're coming from Dick but firstly you're presuming everyone has access to these "easy to get" prescriptions. I'm sorry I'm just not so lucky to be able to get benzos/gabapentin on demand. And yes, I have used benzos through opiate withdrawal, and they help immensely. I don't think it's helpful to assume everybody can, though.

"Unfounded" seems like a strange term to use as well because I'm not particularly interested in testing my hypothesis for one, and secondly, it's a fairly safe assumption due to having withdrawn from much lower doses of weaker opiates various times.

Individual reactions are varied and complex. Just as you found the acute withdrawal relatively uncomplicated to the longer term issues of PAWS and getting your life on track, I found the opposite. I find acute withdrawal and the week or so after the toughest.

Acute withdrawal tends to seem trivial in retrospect. At the time, unless you have a draw full of prescription meds, and you don't have to do things like "go to work" (like smackydowners said,) it's most likely you're going to be suffering quite a bit.

I see where you're coming from Dick but firstly you're presuming everyone has access to these "easy to get" prescriptions. I'm sorry I'm just not so lucky to be able to get benzos/gabapentin on demand. And yes, I have used benzos through opiate withdrawal, and they help immensely. I don't think it's helpful to assume everybody can, though.

"Unfounded" seems like a strange term to use as well because I'm not particularly interested in testing my hypothesis for one, and secondly, it's a fairly safe assumption due to having withdrawn from much lower doses of weaker opiates various times.

Individual reactions are varied and complex. Just as you found the acute withdrawal relatively uncomplicated to the longer term issues of PAWS and getting your life on track, I found the opposite. I find acute withdrawal and the week or so after the toughest.

Acute withdrawal tends to seem trivial in retrospect. At the time, unless you have a draw full of prescription meds, and you don't have to do things like "go to work" (like smackydowners said,) it's most likely you're going to be suffering quite a bit.

I'm not assuming everyone has access to these meds at all. Yes, I was pointing out that even the most severe habits can be neutralized with clonidine and gabapentin, but my main point was that people who haven't been using for a long time and haven't been using high doses should not be living in fear of withdrawals because it perpetuates A) the anxiety of an already anxious experience and B) the urge to use to avoid this supposedly incredibly arduous, unpleasant experience. The best harm reduction advice for someone who's only been using for a few weeks is simple: "stop now, you're unlikely to experience withdrawal. Keep playing with fire and you'll ruin your life. Stop while you still can. Your dependency level is still trivial. Consider yourself lucky."

Instead we coddle these people and encourage them to taper (in other words increase the duration of drug abuse) or stock up on powerful opiate replacements, effectively digging the hole even deeper.

So yes, for a fraction of the cost of a gram of heroin, anyone can go to the local clinic and get the prescription meds needed to negate even serious acute withdrawal symptoms, but they'll still face PAWS and statistically be unlikely to ever live an opiate free life long term. Opiate withdrawal is trivial, a life of opiate dependence is the true hell. And we owe it to new users to make that very clear. I guarantee there are people who read these forums every day and continue using street opiates or maintenance drugs just to avoid withdrawals that would never have even come as a result of their two week oxy binge.

I think a distinction needs to be made here between physical dependence and psychological addiction. In purely physical terms, I agree with your message. Many posts, however, are not simply by people who have developed a dependence due to pain management, short term or long, through medically solicited use. Many people are abusing these drugs for psychological relief, and are developing mental addictions as well as dependencies, and it's to those people whom I think your message is not ideal.

Z-drugs can be just as addictive as opiates, and the potential to switch one addiction/dependence for another is real. Additionally, to suggest that acute withdrawal even from high purity IV heroin can be offset substantially by just taking a few meds for a fraction of the cost of a gram, seems to me to be an unhelpful message to those in the early stages of addiction. You know the mindset in early opiate abuse - or maybe it was just me, but it was "I'll quit when I want to or need to." How convenient it must be to learn acute withdrawal is so easy. In my early days of abuse, if someone told me that I just needed a few days and a few meds to kick the stuff, I would have thanked them with a huge smile on my face and a big sense of relief - and continued to use thinking it was not as big a deal as I thought.

There needs to be a middle ground between trivializing low grade dependencies/early stage addictions and exaggerating their potential risks.