• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

SNRI's vs. SSRI's?

I don;t think most people have an active "preference", it's just some people respond better to one or the other. Some people tolerate buproprion or tricyclics best, some just need better sleep/diet, etc.

I suppose that makes sense, but what I want to know is why people prefer one over the other I guess is how I should have worded it.

The SNRIs have a reputation for a nasty discontinuation syndrome. They have shorter half-lives than some other drugs and there is some opioid receptor affinity at work there as well. No idea how much that may have to do with discontinuation, but it worries me when I read posts of people counting grains in an effexor capsule trying to get off the stuff. These are individual stories they dont happen to everyone obviously.

Last edited:
There's mutterings about venlafaxine having some interaction with opiate receptors (from its structural similarity to tramadol), I'm fairly sure that's been disproved with binding studies though.

If someone can point me to any credible info that rules that out, Id really like to see it. Not trying to be snarky, I really would be interested to know for sure.

Doesn't pethidine (meperidine) have serotonergic effects to a degree also? because it is infamous for potential lethality with MAOIs.

Are pure opioids actually dangerous with MAOIs, because there are warnings on my morphine info leaflets, and oxy ones.

And in reply to the comment about SNRIs having nasty withdrawals, what about SSRIs? they are WELL known for it too.

It's going to be different for everyone.

I know people who SSNRIs worked great for. For other people that SSRIs worked better for, when they took SSNRIs, as strange as it sounds, the SSNRI was basically like a stimulant for them.