• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Snorting causing pain and anxiety. Need help.

Deicide1212

Bluelighter
I have been snorting hydromorphone, on and off, for about 6 years. I recently started up again after being off, for about 4 months. Lately when I snort my lungs hurt really bad, and I get really bad anxiety. I have had my heart and lungs checked out at the hospital, and say I am fine. Has anyone else experienced this, and what can I do, to prevent it?

Quit immediately and ride it out in the comfort of your own home and make sure to replace fluids and electrolytes because you will be puking and shitting liquid...or plug it because IV opiates are like asking the grim reaper to keep tabs on you...be very careful how you approach this situation

I have been snorting hydromorphone, on and off, for about 6 years. I recently started up again after being off, for about 4 months. Lately when I snort my lungs hurt really bad, and I get really bad anxiety. I have had my heart and lungs checked out at the hospital, and say I am fine. Has anyone else experienced this, and what can I do, to prevent it?
It honestly may just be psychosomatic. I've gotten anxiety a few times for fear that it entered my lungs after snorting something. You did it for 6 years before, no reason it'd be causing issues now. My advice would be to use a different route of administration, like oral or plugging. If you're intent on snorting then I'd say be careful not to inhale too hard, and possibly wet your nostril by dipping your finger in water or licking it and rubbing it around your nostril. That'll help it stick in your nose and sinuses and lessen the risk of inhaling it too far

At one point for a short time my nose used to clamp from snorting speed and it made me feel like I was suffocating which in turn gave me bad anxiety but I had it happen to me mid-heavytrip on a hot summer from hay-fever years before that so I knew I should meditate and actually found a lot of breathing techniques that help when that happens, it don't happen no mo'. could be different with opiods so don't quote me on that

You could try dissolving your dose in a very small amount of water and snorting that (instead of the dry powder).

Did you get a chest x-ray or a CT scan at the hospital?
I'm guessing the answer is yes since you said they checked your lungs& heart. If that's the case then it might be anxiety-related, or nothing too serious.

Snorting pills is not very good for the lungs anyway, many of them contain talc which can cause trouble down there. Though I think talcosis is still relatively rare amoung snorters, at least compared to the ones who inject pills.

Quit immediately and ride it out in the comfort of your own home and make sure to replace fluids and electrolytes because you will be puking and shitting liquid...or plug it because IV opiates are like asking the grim reaper to keep tabs on you...be very careful how you approach this situation

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. Why are you saying " quit immediately"? Is there an underlying reason, or just because opiates are the devil lol.

I will never go, the IV route. I have seen the end result, with too many people I know. Thank you for your concern, though.

It honestly may just be psychosomatic. I've gotten anxiety a few times for fear that it entered my lungs after snorting something. You did it for 6 years before, no reason it'd be causing issues now. My advice would be to use a different route of administration, like oral or plugging. If you're intent on snorting then I'd say be careful not to inhale too hard, and possibly wet your nostril by dipping your finger in water or licking it and rubbing it around your nostril. That'll help it stick in your nose and sinuses and lessen the risk of inhaling it too far
Unfortunately, the oral route does nothing for me, anymore. I have noticed, though, that it seems to happen when I have a cigarette after I snort. Opiates make me wanna smoke like crazy for some reason lol. Thank you, for the tips, I will definitely give it a try.

Not
At one point for a short time my nose used to clamp from snorting speed and it made me feel like I was suffocating which in turn gave me bad anxiety but I had it happen to me mid-heavytrip on a hot summer from hay-fever years before that so I knew I should meditate and actually found a lot of breathing techniques that help when that happens, it don't happen no mo'. could be different with opiods so don't quote me on that
Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I think my situation is different, though. I will definitely try the breathing techniques, though. I may be just working myself up. Thanks.

You could try dissolving your dose in a very small amount of water and snorting that (instead of the dry powder).

Did you get a chest x-ray or a CT scan at the hospital?
I'm guessing the answer is yes since you said they checked your lungs& heart. If that's the case then it might be anxiety-related, or nothing too serious.

Snorting pills is not very good for the lungs anyway, many of them contain talc which can cause trouble down there. Though I think talcosis is still relatively rare amoung snorters, at least compared to the ones who inject pills.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Yes I went to the hospital, twice. I received a chest x-ray, ECG, and an ultrasound... plus bloodwork and Covid tests. Everything was good, apparently.

I am not sure the ratio of water to product, to administer in this fashion. Also, I am taking the hydromorphone contin (the extended release with the beads). I am notnsure if the crushed beads are water soluble. Any help in this fashion would be appreciated.

Not

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I think my situation is different, though. I will definitely try the breathing techniques, though. I may be just working myself up. Thanks.
Here's something more relevant then, I was on Codeine for about a month, I didn't snort it but one of the labeled side-effects was shallow breathing which I read can cause your body to think that your lungs are shutting down because of the change in air intake or something like that. Don't know why that didn't come to mind first but as others said it might be just anxiety, but do you find that your chest trembles when that happens?

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Yes I went to the hospital, twice. I received a chest x-ray, ECG, and an ultrasound... plus bloodwork and Covid tests. Everything was good, apparently.

I am not sure the ratio of water to product, to administer in this fashion. Also, I am taking the hydromorphone contin (the extended release with the beads). I am notnsure if the crushed beads are water soluble. Any help in this fashion would be appreciated.
I think the main unknown is whether your issue is caused by snorting or by the drug itself. Only you could figure it out.

I don't have any personal experience with hydromorph contin, but since snorting seems to work pretty well for you I'd assume crushing the beads is enough to defeat the extended release mechanism (at least partly).
For IN administration you should use very little water (under 0.5mL), you could use more but you might have a hard time keeping the liquid from leaking.

What I'd do is crush the beads very well and then use a small syringe to slowly add the water while mixing at the same time. Maybe wait 5-10min to make sure most of the hydromorph gets released (you could also heat the solution to increase the solubility).
As far as the administration goes, you can use the same syringe (without the needle obviously) to slowly squirt the liquid inside your nose. If you use your left nostril you should tilt your head to the right side and viceversa, you can also pinch your nose to prevent the liquid from getting out. The key is to try to avoid the drip as well, if possible.

I'm afraid I can't really provide a more detailed explaination right now, but it has been discussed many times before (some people use it to snort black tar heroin).

Or you could plug it instead.