Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Sneaky ADHD / Depression / Anxiety cocktails for the Elite Ozzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jug

Bluelighter
Hi.
Is it just me or is it a little hard to get ADHD med's in Australia these days.
My shrink wants me to jump through hoops to get stimulating med's so I was wondering?????

What are some good novel rare (preferably GABA / Dopamine) ADHD / Depression / Anxiety cocktails you can get from your friendly local neighborhood spider Practitioner / Health food store?
I have tried all of the typical Anti-d's. Effexor worked well the first 5 times I took it 10 years ago. Phenelzine [Nardil] an MAOI has been my best luck aside from all the side effects.
Surprisingly Baclofen (a GABA-B agonist) worked REALLY well before tolerance.
So I am looking for something like Selegeline + DL Phenylanaline but a bit more potent.. Or even Duromine but not so expensive, If you catch my drift.

Any advice much appreciated.
Respect

Indeed it's a pain in the arse, I have self diagnosed ADHD (yes, i know, lol. But I am convinced, Written Tests, My Partner and lots of research have influenced this thought) and my doctor has diagnosed me with severe depression (but never actually asks each visit how i am on that front).

I got a referral to a psych that my friend used whilst in SA, a very good doctor apparently... But his waiting list was 4+ months, I'm a different mindset since then, (depression wise, and I am of course self treating my ADHD symptoms wherever possible through methamphetamine, towhich I am now a typical low-lowmed use addict of the substance...) I did not take an appointment with the psych, my doctor doesnt seem to give a shit about my depression and I'm feeling a little lost on what to do.

I weigh 150KG too, with a bmi of 41.2 - looked into duromine/phentermine which GP's can prescribe (in SA?, dunno bout Perth) (afaik) which would (short term) treat all of my symptoms If I am not stupid about dosing and sequential use. I am looking into this option as well as getting another doctor. You will need a BMI of 30+ for duromine to be prescribed usually and it's only for a few months/short term.

It seems a lot of doctors/psych's have drug seeking patients, which may be true but as I have read it is often them attempting to self treat (on street substances) for exactly the reason you've described above. Possibly the doctors are only allowed to have x amount of patients on y drug (if controlled amphetamine/ritalin)?? Either way It definitely should be a last resort, but what I/you believe as a last resort may not be that way for the doctor, who knows better? Neither, you will both need to work together giving feedback on his/her treatment until you can find something that works, hopefully that ends you up with the meds you feel you need. It's a fine line between letting the doctor know you have had ritalin/dexamphetamine or equiv before, and being seen as a drug seeker. I did want to go to the same psych as my friend, as he was prescribed ritalin and it did make a dramatic improvement on his life/demeanor/mood/productivity, etc as you would expect. And he is not sitting here addicted to meth like I am.

I haven't really told you anything you didn't know, but at least you know it's the same on my side of the fence! I have basically been through everything you've mentioned, except not currently seeing a psych. And more interested in losing weight as I am able to manage my ADHD symptoms day-to-day MOST of the time (3/5 days of the week it's okay and little trouble at work and otherwise)

^ Yeah fortunately I have a GREAT GP that fully trusts me and is happy to give me Duromine but it's to damn expensive.

Lucky you, 'tis a bit of a risk, I do hear good things about duromine from people who've used it, although have to be careful & hope your GP can keep the script going for you.

I believe yeah it's $100+ monthly for a supply of 30mg, not on pbs afaik although some health insurances will cover it.

That said, you probably know more than I do about it, having probably had a decent talk with the doc about it.

So your doc believes you should be on stimulant ADHD meds, but your shrink is being a tightarse? Is that the situation? As I said there is pretty heavy controls on amphetamines and ritalin/stimulants in aus, but yeah I suppose it's not like your doc can tell your shrink to script you ritalin/dexamphetamine/whatever else there may be other than those or duromine??. lol.

Bad situation man, can you look into insurance covering it? or for that purpose, if it's gonna be longer term?

I'm going to close this thread, it sounds too much like you're asking for doctor shopping advice to me. If you're genuinely looking for the right mix of medications to treat your ADHD, your best bet is researching treatments here on BL. Noone here can tell you what the right medication is for you though, and we're not here to give you advice on 'sneaky' ADHD meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.